Innocence is no Excuse "alternative" release : rip-off?

Fangface

Child of the Damned
Jan 25, 2002
France
www.fangface.com
What do you think of that?
An attempt by Graham Oliver to cash in Saxon's career? or legal "reissue"?

Majestic Rock will reissue SAXON’s Innocence Is No Excuse album with a new title, Alternative Innocence, on March 29th.
The release, pulled from the personal archive of guitarist and founding member Graham Oliver, features alternative and unused versions of songs that made up the original Innocence Is No Excuse release from 1985, plus three previously unreleased tracks, heard here for the first time.
Graham Oliver also contributes informative sleeve notes.

The album features the following tracklisting: ‘Broken Heroes’, ‘Devil Rides Out’, ‘Everybody Up’, ‘Raise Some Hell’, ‘Rock N’ Roll Gypsy’, ‘Rocking Again’, ‘Shout It Out’, ‘Call Of The Wild’, ‘Give It Everything You Got’, ‘Running Hot’ plus three unreleased tracks yet to be confirmed.

Fangface said:
Another attempt by Graham Oliver to cash in Saxon's career? or legal "reissue"?

Who is Majistic Rock? Please tell me, and I must say I have nothing against Graham Oliver, I like his guitar sound a lot, I still enjoy it... :Spin: Does he play on this record?

I dont agree what graham oliver is doing cashing in on saxon stuff, and the only stuff that i would buy of theres is if has got biff on vocals,

so if this album of theres with the three unreleased tracks that are meant to be on it has got biff on the vocals then yes i would buy it.

Better still i think biff should release a cd be it a doulble one or whatever of all the tracks from 1979 to the present day of all the tracks that never made it onto there albums be great for the fans i think no matter how good or maybe not so good biff and the boys think they are us fans will decide that

In the end its extra new saxon tracks for us fans :worship:

I met up with Oly once and he said that the albums crusader, innocence and destiny were originally recorded a lot heavier and that these versions were available but needed a bit of mastering, these I would like to hear so if the innocence reissue is in fact part of these recordings then hell yeah Im interested, imagine everybody up without that silly synthesiser in it, good stuff.

New songs... Great. Heavier versions .... Great.

Re-mixing it and having non Saxon members on it would be a disgrace. Releasing it under the Olivier/Dawscum name would be sacrilidge.

macc189 said:
I met up with Oly once and he said that the albums crusader, innocence and destiny were originally recorded a lot heavier and that these versions were available but needed a bit of mastering, these I would like to hear so if the innocence reissue is in fact part of these recordings then hell yeah Im interested, imagine everybody up without that silly synthesiser in it, good stuff.

should be very nice. and about Graham Oliver, does anybody know if there are MP3 of his releases on the net? I never bought something of him, End of an ERa, are there MP3???

Fangface said:
Another attempt by Graham Oliver to cash in Saxon's career? or legal "reissue"?
A cash in? Yes & no! :) Lets face it, his latest outfit probably isnt doing much sales wise & no doubt the court case cost a bit. By releasing older stuff there will be some cash flow for him (& no doubt the other members of the band from that time). I think its good,for the fans, that hes releasing this stuff. Pretty sure its mainly down to him that "Diamonds & Nuggets" was released.How many people had heard stuff like "Ann Marie" before that? There's lots of stuff in the archives so i expect this wont be the last release...but i hope he draws the line by NOT releasing Son Of a Bitch from Blackpool mardis gras etc :)

if they put that horrible ass singer in it from Oliver/Dawson its a no buy, that guy is one of the worst vocalists I've ever heard! He's about as bad as the guy from Jackyl!

This 'Alternative Innocence' has nothing to do with O-D Saxon. It is indeed, as mentioned in some posts, alternate recordings of the album, recorded way back in the '80's. It is not re-recordings. It has the 'Innocence' album lineup playing, including Oliver and Dawson, and of course, Byford vocals - for you Biff loyalists.

As for the notion of Graham 'cashing in' on Saxons carreer, I find it a rather odd perspective to look at such a realease, after all, Saxons carreer IS Graham's carreer. It just happens that Graham and Steve have these tapes, so who the hell else would release them to the record companies? If Biff had these tapes of old recordings and released them, would you look at that differently? I don't see how you could.

Anyway, from what I understand, record companies approached Graham and Steve about more old recordings and nothing has actually been firmed up yet to release this stuff, the people involved jumped the gun a bit announcing this as a firm release.

Saracen84 said:
As for the notion of Graham 'cashing in' on Saxons carreer, I find it a rather odd perspective to look at such a realease, after all, Saxons carreer IS Graham's carreer. It just happens that Graham and Steve have these tapes, so who the hell else would release them to the record companies? If Biff had these tapes of old recordings and released them, would you look at that differently? I don't see how you could.
Ok, I wanted to have details and points of view about this release, since that trial between Biff and Oliver over Saxon's name, you know.
Thanks for your replys guys ;)

Sounds good to me.Those songs always sounded better live anyway.I evan saw Saxon when they that shitty album you know the one i mean,and evan the song from that sounded good.As for the o/d fan up there it does make wonder whats going on when Graham and Steve are doing it.I mean Paul,Biff and Nig should involved should'nt they?I just hope its not going to cause friction between the two camps . I mean I would hate to see the O/D fan upset.