Insane Bass Fill In The Genuine Pulse

bassvikinggod

The Bass Viking God!
Mar 28, 2004
www.shroomery.org
Towards the end of The Genuine Pulse there is this, by all rights, fucking insane bass fill... totally blows my mind!

bass.jpg

I put it into Guitar Pro and took an image... so much easier than tabbing it out...

I'm playing with a pick and I'm wondering if it is even possible to do that triplet set in the middle with a pick, at that speed and the way it goes over two strings... not to mention how insanely fast the polyrythms are in general anyways.... o_O

Tyr played fingerstyle right? Did he use all four fingers on his right hand or something? This is by far the most challenging thing I have came acrossed... basically the only thing I can't play without a lot of work. hehe.

I guess the only way to really approach it is to learn the sets of fifthlets and triplets seperately, try to work the speed up on them, and then to put it all together and slowly speed it up.... although I still don't see how the hell that triplet set can be pulled off with a pick, being that insanely fast on two different strings... my god! :D Only thing I have seen so far that was too fast to play with a pick.....

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced taking on this fill... it has effectively blown my mind! :headbang:

*bows before Borknagar in their infinite greatness*

My goat your right. That is fucking challenging to say the least. The tabed version of that fill on the site is a little different though.

I think i saw in some earlier topics that tyr uses the 3-2-1 technique... there are some threads in this forum and steve digiorgios forum where Tyr explained his way of playing

Spill med fingrene da vel bassvikinggod :)
It's not really that difficult, though I must admit that I had a hard time learning some of my fills on the album, most of them I improvised when we recorded the album.

Erik Tiwaz said:
Spill med fingrene da vel bassvikinggod :)
It's not really that difficult, though I must admit that I had a hard time learning some of my fills on the album, most of them I improvised when we recorded the album.

Actually, I have been playing more and more with my fingers, especially after finding out about that 3-2-1-2 technique that you do. I've been strengthening my ring finger and working on keeping consistent timing. ;)

I really do love playing with a pick though, I love the sound. I started with a pick and decided I would get to a level where I could basically do anything with it, and then start to put together my finger style technique... which is what I'm doing nå. hehe. That fill of yours is the only thing I've found yet that I can't do with a pick.

You're becoming a huge influence on me, man, I'm beginning to work more with polyrythms as well. You fucking rule! Probably the best bassist that I know about, and your style is an advanced version of the one I have been honing. :worship:

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been playing? I heard that you were originally a classical guitarist? What is coming up next for you? :headbang:

I've played bass for about 10 years, guitar for about 6 years before that. So I started late, I was 16 when I started playing guitar, at first I only played electric guitar (mostly Maiden, Metallica, Malmsteen, Extreme, Fates Warning and Steve Vai stuff). Around 1990-91 I started focusing on classical guitar. In 1994 I started playing bass. I'm not playing classical guitar anymore, but I've recently started to play some electric guitar for writing purposes, as I have another band in the making. That band is Decode, a tech metal band which Asgeir and I have started.