Insane gamer geek on NPR last night

FuSoYa

Lunarian
Nov 9, 2001
Brooklyn
lifesci.ucsb.edu
I was listening to my favorite NPR show, "On Point" with Tom Ashbrook, and the subject was "Arguments for a war wth Iraq, from a LIBERAL point of view." The guest is the author of a book on the subject named John something-or-other.

So they're taking calls from people. Ring ring, the guy's name is Ron.

Tom Ashbrook:"Hello Ron, What do you think?"

Do you guys know the gamer nerd voice? I can't describe his voice any better than that.. just the nasaly, perfectly-enunciated English that comes with cloak-wearin', bad hair-havin', ass-smell emittin', stat-knowin', comic-book store lurkin' GAMERDOM.

Ron has this voice! So he says

"This war in Iraq is for 4 purposes only and those are 1) To draw attention away from the failing economy 2) To draw attention away from the fact that the CEOs are not in jail 3) (something about oil) and 4) BECAUSE THIS COUNTRY IS RUN BY STAGGERING, SOULLESS MONSTERS!!!!"

silence for a couple seconds..

Tom Ashbrook: "So Ron, are you arguing for a war with Iraq from a liberal standpoint?"

Ron: "If you LIE DOWN WITH DOGS, you GET FLEAS."

(3 seconds silence)

Tom: "uh.."

Ron: (on the verge of tears, probably out of anxiety, kind of being humiliated on the air) "IF YOU COOPERATE WITH MONSTERS, YOU ARE IN DANGER OF LOSING YOUR SOUL!!!"

Tom: "Uh, OK Ron, John how do you respond to this argument?"

John: "Well that's not an argument so I don;t feel it warrants a response."

Tom: "OK Ron, thanks for your call!!"

oh man i totally want to hear it!

why do gamer geeks have that ASS-SMELL? is there a hidden stereogram message on the cover of DRAGON magazine every month that forbids the use of toilet paper or something?

that link just redirects to a .ram file with the following info:

rtsp://128.197.27.80:554/w/b/wbur/onpoint/2002/10/op_1023a.rm?start=00:00&cloakport=8080,554,7070
--stop--
pnm://128.197.27.80:7070/w/b/wbur/onpoint/2002/10/op_1023a.rm?start=00:00&cloakport=8080,554,7070

neither of those files are available for direct d/l. damn them! someone will have to use total recorder or something if they want to convert the file.

His name is Robert, and he's at about 41:50. BWAHAH! I like how the host tries to, after the fact, make the call seem less incongruous by saying "Yes, well, we're seeing that sort of opposition..."