Inserting multiple tempo maps in cubase 5

topsoul182

Dec 18, 2009
I have a band coming in doing 5 songs and they have the drums and tempos all mapped out in guitar pro. Theyre sending me all the midi files and I'm trying to figure out how to put them in one big project with all the songs.

The only way that the tempo saved in the midi file will take affect is if I create a whole new project for that song

anyone know how to get around this?

I would only do one song per project for many years, but the past 3 or 4 projects I have been doing them all in one. Honestly it's been much easier to work that way, for me.

topsoul182: What Plankis suggested won't work for what you are talking about. Either you or the band needs to export the MIDI from the GuitarPro files for each song. Once you have those, go into Cubase's preferences window and go to MIDI, then under MIDI File find the option that says "Import to Left Locator" make sure it is checked, and make sure "Ignore Master Track Events on Merge" is unchecked. Now you just set the left locator to where you want the MIDI/tempo to be imported to and go to File>Import>MIDI File and choose the one you want. Then set the left locator where you want the next one, import MIDI, etc., etc. You can delete the MIDI tracks/events afterwards if you want, the tempo will remain. When it asks you if you want to create a new project for the MIDI file, click on No, btw.

@scorpio01169- I do it because I usually blend drum samples and and I want to make sure the proportions stay the same. Also I like to make sure I keep the same vocal and bass chain for the whole album. After I get the main sound set up, I then split up the songs into their own separate projects and then fine tune everything there.

@006- Awesome thank you so much, I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. I was hoping for a response from you, it seems like you're the big cubase guy around here

No problem, you can just IM me on AIM (winterskiesprod) or PM me on here in the future if you want, I am always happy to help with Cubase stuff.

I would only do one song per project for many years, but the past 3 or 4 projects I have been doing them all in one. Honestly it's been much easier to work that way, for me.

topsoul182: What Plankis suggested won't work for what you are talking about. Either you or the band needs to export the MIDI from the GuitarPro files for each song. Once you have those, go into Cubase's preferences window and go to MIDI, then under MIDI File find the option that says "Import to Left Locator" make sure it is checked, and make sure "Ignore Master Track Events on Merge" is unchecked. Now you just set the left locator to where you want the MIDI/tempo to be imported to and go to File>Import>MIDI File and choose the one you want. Then set the left locator where you want the next one, import MIDI, etc., etc. You can delete the MIDI tracks/events afterwards if you want, the tempo will remain. When it asks you if you want to create a new project for the MIDI file, click on No, btw.

My method do work. Setting it up manually must be the safest method of them all...

Hey 006 thanks for that info man! I have been looking for the correct way to import multiple midi tempos for awile now, I used to have to just drag n drop the midi's into the project window without the control of exactly where they dropped lol

Thanks again :kickass:

My method do work. Setting it up manually must be the safest method of them all...

Yes, your method works if you know all the tempos (plus any tempo changes in each song and also time signatures) and want to manually go through and put them on the tempo map... but that isn't what the OP asked for.

He asked for a way to import multiple MIDI files. Your method does not cover this need, mine does. Why sit there and spend a considerably longer amount of time doing it manually when it takes literally ~5 seconds per song my way with the same result? I mean, someone has already gone through and manually mapped out every song. I'm not keen on doing redundant, unnecessary work *shrug*

I have used the method I described with no problems or surprises many, many times, so I'd say it's safe as well ;)

Hey 006 thanks for that info man! I have been looking for the correct way to import multiple midi tempos for awile now, I used to have to just drag n drop the midi's into the project window without the control of exactly where they dropped lol

Thanks again :kickass:

Cheers man

Thank you SO MUCH for this, Mike! I've been putting in tempos and signatures manually for so long, can't believe all the time I've wasted by not knowing about this!

Yeah it was a life saver for me as well when I started doing all songs in one project :lol: