Insomnium - Above the Weeping World

Zack

charting my way to top :)
Feb 9, 2005
Insomnium – Above the Weeping World
Candlelight Records – CD CDL308 - October 17th, 2006
By Zack Attaran

3715lc8.jpg

The peaceful golden crescent moon amidst the looming chaotic blood red clouds says it all: This album is one that harbors tranquility and chaos, serenity and turmoil, and above all else, the ability to invoke emotions that are otherwise only achievable through methods impractical to most. Their sound is an original one, featuring brutal deep screams, crushing melodies, heavy passages and calmer ones, with atmospheric sounds to ice the cake. Insomnium hails from Finland, a country that has lately been known for its unrelenting output of melodic metal featuring blisteringly fast keyboards and melodies. As mind blowing as that genre is, many constantly find certain aspects missing that make the listening experience less enjoyable, forgettable, and even unbearable if the mood isn’t right. These bands lack the soul that Insomnium have captured so beautifully with their third release, Above the Weeping World.

Looking back to the world's first encounter with the genius that is now known as Insomnium, these guys have come a long way. From the start, Insomnium have been as dedicated as they ever will be. Even from the days of their self-released demos they wrote with passion that was often unsurpassed, even by their idols. Then came the time for their debut full length, In the Halls of Awaiting, a masterpiece in its own right. At times, it was somewhat repetitive, even boring, but it always bounced back to the top with crushing melodies and remarkable acoustic passages. Then came their sophomoric effort, Since the Day it All Came Down, an unbelievable release that saved many peoples waning interest in the melodeath scene. Everything about that album was perfect, including their ingenious harmonizing skills and marvelous instrumental pieces. I thought it was unparalleled at the time, but then Insominum decided to do it again, and this time around, it’s nothing short of brilliance.

The list would stretch for miles if I were to point out each moment that brought joy to my soul during a listen to Above the Weeping world, but it wouldn’t be a review if I didn’t list at least a few, now would it? One talent that Insomnium encompass is their capability to write moving songs and retain originality, something that is growing less important in the Finnish scene these days. Another thing this album has is versatility: Whether I want to listen to a quick song or go on a journey and listen to the whole thing, it still sounds great, no matter which I pick. In addition, Inosmnium really just know how to harmonize! There’s nothing else to it. The melodies aren’t catchy, they are freakin memorable, whilst the acoustic passages compliment the heavier parts remarkably. Another ability that is pleasant from Insomnium is their excessive layering of parts, making one of fullest sounds I’ve ever heard. In addition, their recording qualities are always warm, never processed or unappealing. On the topic of individual songs, the intro piece, ’The Gale’ and the final epic, ’In the Groves of Death’, are really worth mentioning, because they have some of the most unforgettable melodies, and the latter has my favorite outro to date. The dynamics of this album, especially on ’The Killjoy’, are spot on, reaching really epic moments and setting a perfect mood. The main thing, though, is that listening to this album makes you feel good. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t the feel good comparable to Dragonforce or other power metal bands, this is something that will make you feel warm inside, if you catch my drift.

To me, this is a CD that will surely stand the test of time, and I know 20 years from now I will listen to this and be taken back to my youth instantly, even if I don’t enjoy the same style of music. I can’t say the same for others, but I can confidently state that this will have some revolutionary effects on the Finnish scene. I'm skeptical about them changing the entire genre in general, but who's to say that won't happen come their fourth release? In short, Insomnium have set a standard that will be hard to surpass, even for themselves. Back in 2002 when In the Halls of Awaiting Came out, many ‘zines said that with time, these guys would rise to the top. Step into 2006 and take a listen Above the Weeping World and they’ve undoubtedly fulfilled that fate, and in my book, are the new kings of melodic metal.

9.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Insomnium Website
Official Candlelight Records Website

I was surprised at how damn excellent this album is. not a boring track, and nor does it ever drift into the 'typical'. Insomnium have matured and improved with every release... and to say the first album was an instant legend really points out the immensity of Above the Weeping World.

My favourite track is Change of Heart... but every track rips me a new one. I especially like how much the intro sounds like the theme from that old platform game 'Turrican'.

^ huh, i dont think there was any better album in the same genre last year or perhpas you would suggest one :/