Insomnium - Since the Day it all Came Down

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Insomnium - Since the Day it all Came Down
Candlelight Records - 2004
By Adam McAuley

insomnium.jpg

Insomnium are an excellent melo-death band that have greatly impressed me with Since the Day it All Came Down. They play a folkish take on the genre, and make heavy use of dynamics to create something that is above and beyond your expectations.

Opeth were the immediate comparison that came to mind; Insomnium make use of many acoustic segments within their songs, and even some variation in the tonality of the vocalist. The majority of the tracks actually begin with short - but beautiful - interludes, and the opening piece is no exception. Piano followed by a suspenseful build of violins opens things off in style. The folky element is present from track one, and this in itself makes them one of the better melo-death bands. Add an acute taste for melody and the previously mentioned song diversity, and you have quite a strong act to be reckoned with.

"Daughter of the Moon", "Bereavment", "Closing Words" and "Song of the Forlorn Son", along with opening piece "Nocturne" are the standout cuts on the album, though each and every one offers something charming in its own right. It is melo-death, so that alone prevents me from truly loving the album, but if you're a fan of the genre, this is almost as good as it gets. Don't pass this album up.

8.5/10

Candlelight Records’ Official Website
Insomnium’s Official Website

Hated But had to stop from losing my mind set on how what and why I live not to swallow it and leave it but to hold and treaser it for the holy famliy wanted a way with it but I love my Hate it Gives me practicly every thing you could emagen . So Question Why step out to have un desierd mind That want to lie to the Knower of truth for I see Deeper in Because I am The Fallen O1VE I hide in word Of desepshon And I injoy evey minite of my time