Inspiration for 'Acquaintance'?

JustifiedTrueBelief

New Metal Member
Sep 18, 2002
Visit site
Just curious as to the inspiration, if any, for the song ACQUAINTANCE...I find myself drawn to that particular track, as well as The Thirst...awesomely, great lyrical insight....thanks guys!

This may be hard to explain, but I will try. I wrote this song for Robin, my wife, before we were married. Actually I wrote it after we had broke up. We were together for about 3 months, 3 wonderful months and then, for reasons that are way too lengthy to go into, we broke up. :cry: She called me one day asking how I was and seemingly wanting to be friends. I wrote the song saying that I couldn't be just friends with her. I was in love and you can't go back to being just friends once you've crossed that threshold. So I decided to say "So long!" and wrote just that that...well until 10 months later when we got back together and got engaged 2 months after that. :) So the songs lyrics are out of date and somewhat moot, but it does bring back a painful memory of a time when I decided to walk away from the only woman I ever truly loved, who I thought didn't love me...luckily I was wrong! I think that is why the song turned out to be so emotional; it had the right amount of true hurt to carry over to the listener. I titled it Acquaintance because I thought, we are no longer lovers and can't really be friends then I guess we have become someone we just knew.

There you have it. I hope it makes sense to you now.

Doug

Originally posted by Douglas A. Ott
This may be hard to explain, but I will try. I wrote this song for Robin, my wife, before we were married. Actually I wrote it after we had broke up. We were together for about 3 months, 3 wonderful months and then, for reasons that are way too lengthy to go into, we broke up. :cry: She called me one day asking how I was and seemingly wanting to be friends. I wrote the song saying that I couldn't be just friends with her. I was in love and you can't go back to being just friends once you've crossed that threshold. So I decided to say "So long!" and wrote just that that...well until 10 months later when we got back together and got engaged 2 months after that. :) So the songs lyrics are out of date and somewhat moot, but it does bring back a painful memory of a time when I decided to walk away from the only woman I ever truly loved, who I thought didn't love me...luckily I was wrong! I think that is why the song turned out to be so emotional; it had the right amount of true hurt to carry over to the listener. I titled it Acquaintance because I thought, we are no longer lovers and can't really be friends then I guess we have become someone we just knew.

There you have it. I hope it makes sense to you now.

Doug:cry:

Thanks for the explanation. It's a beautiful tune. I especially love Craddick's cymbal work during the chorus. I was pleasantly suprised when "Acquaintance" was reprised in "The Ultimate Gift".

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
I was pleasantly suprised when "Acquaintance" was reprised in "The Ultimate Gift".

Which is altogether interesting as it brings everything full circle. :)

I think it's ironic that The Thirst is probably the song that hits home the most for me considering it was the first Enchant song I ever heard (of course!). It relates to an experience that I went through about 10 years ago in many, many ways.