Installed Cubase 5

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
Finally got around to getting Cubase 5 and I have installed it and opened up some old project files. So far so good, and everything is running smooth as silk, except for the lack of DX plugin support. That's okay though because I only had 1 plugin that was a noise gate and it can be easily replaced. I'll be sure to post any problems I have, but I don't anticipate that I'll have any from the way things have been going so far. I'm loving everything so far, but then again I've always been a die hard fan.

Glad to hear it. I still can't sell myself on moving over.

Like the late, great Rudy Ray Moore once said, I can dig it. I understand your frustrations with the program. Logic Gold was the first DAW I ever bought back in 2000 but then I quickly switched to Cubase VST 5.0 when a friend of mine introduced me to it. I've pretty much learned everything I know from using Cubase so its extremely hard to get used to anything else. With the exception of Beat Detective, I find Pro Tools to be incredibly irritating to use and believe me, I've put my time in. I'm confident this is just a 'what you grew up with' issue for me though. Too many people use Pro Tools for it to be as irritating as I perceive it to be.

I know you really like the workflow and other features in Pro Tools but I'm curious, what DAW did you start out on Ermz?

I actually started with Cool Edit Pro 2.0 when I was just a kid messing around. After I got serious it was Cubase SX2, which was my first real DAW. I dabbled in recording myself, using VSTis etc. When I started recording bands for real I was introduced to ProTools. Initially I was a bit hesitant, but the first ray of light came after I realized how easy editing was on PT. After I learned beat detective, and all the various shortcuts mapped in ProTools I became a convert. I've tried to get Cubase behaving similarly since but can't no matter how I try. I'm finding things I hate about it on an almost weekly basis.

It's just a personal preference thing I think. Definitely not 'grew up with' in this case. Been wanting to splurge out on Cubase 5, but honestly just can't see the expenditure being worth it. At this point I'm seriously entertaining the thought of switching over to Reaper for mixing and mastering.

I actually started with Cool Edit Pro 2.0 when I was just a kid messing around. After I got serious it was Cubase SX2, which was my first real DAW. I dabbled in recording myself, using VSTis etc. When I started recording bands for real I was introduced to ProTools. Initially I was a bit hesitant, but the first ray of light came after I realized how easy editing was on PT. After I learned beat detective, and all the various shortcuts mapped in ProTools I became a convert. I've tried to get Cubase behaving similarly since but can't no matter how I try. I'm finding things I hate about it on an almost weekly basis.

It's just a personal preference thing I think. Definitely not 'grew up with' in this case. Been wanting to splurge out on Cubase 5, but honestly just can't see the expenditure being worth it. At this point I'm seriously entertaining the thought of switching over to Reaper for mixing and mastering.

Have you tried out Reaper at all? I think the whole concept behind Reaper is just tremendous but I don't think I could ever use it. I've put in quite a few hours with it and I would much rather use Pro Tools, and you know how I feel about Pro Tools. Reaper has some million dollar features that a lot of other DAWS don't have but at the same time, Reaper seems so very immature and underdeveloped in a lot of other ways. It was very difficult for me to use. If I had to put money on it Ermz, I would say that you would not stick with Reaper for very long if you switched. Just get a Pro Tools HD system!

One thing I love about Cubase is that its more of a mouse driven program than the other DAWS. I set up my own hotkeys and they allow me to work lightning fast, but I love being able to right click on everything and have access to what I need. Its going to sound incredibly stupid, but I can mix an entire project with Cubase with my right hand holding a mouse while holding my new infant son with my left hand. Anyone who had kids knows its impossible to find time to get shit done. When I get to use hotkeys when I have both hands available, that's just an added bonus!

Matt, do you think it's stable enough at the moment?? been thinking of getting this - i've been a cubase user since pre - vst days and love it - (used PT for a while but I dont find it as comfortable to me)

Have you tried out Reaper at all? I think the whole concept behind Reaper is just tremendous but I don't think I could ever use it. I've put in quite a few hours with it and I would much rather use Pro Tools, and you know how I feel about Pro Tools. Reaper has some million dollar features that a lot of other DAWS don't have but at the same time, Reaper seems so very immature and underdeveloped in a lot of other ways. It was very difficult for me to use. If I had to put money on it Ermz, I would say that you would not stick with Reaper for very long if you switched. Just get a Pro Tools HD system!

One thing I love about Cubase is that its more of a mouse driven program than the other DAWS. I set up my own hotkeys and they allow me to work lightning fast, but I love being able to right click on everything and have access to what I need. Its going to sound incredibly stupid, but I can mix an entire project with Cubase with my right hand holding a mouse while holding my new infant son with my left hand. Anyone who had kids knows its impossible to find time to get shit done. When I get to use hotkeys when I have both hands available, that's just an added bonus!

I completely dig what you're saying about Reaper. Having seen some videos of folks using and and in particular 'tutoring' others it became very clear. The workflow is anything but useful and there are a myriad of menu options that are extremely verbose and contrived when they don't have to be.

The drum editing tutorial was hilarious. 'Right click on the kick track, choose Item Processing (another sub-menu comes up) Auto trim/split selected areas. Now a menu pops up. Adjust a pop-down box to say 'Only split before non-silence' (wtf, are they averse to the word 'transient' or 'signal') and make sure a tickbox that says 'Split grouped items at times of selected item splits'. Who the hell wrote that? Why would someone not just call it 'maintain phase coherency' or 'split all based on selected'. The mindset of these people is soooo far away from professional engineers that it's painful. There are so many layers of sub-menus, extra menus, pop-ups, additional windows that you have to think that only programming/geek types with a penchant for feeling superior for doing unnecessary workarounds would champion this stuff.

Sorry for the rant, it's just this search for a DAW is killing me. It's clear that nothing competes with PT on the grounds that I'm after, but HD is so overpriced and unnecessary. My only real option is to stick it out with SX3 for mixing and keep using PT for tracking and editing. Then hopefully one day Digi will ditch HD and create a true native option. The problem is that they're not inclined to do so because nobody is directly competing with them!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the new Cubase is working out for you. The mouse-driven UI seems like a real boon for your parenting situation :). Looking forward to hearing some new tracks done with it, that's the important thing!

Dude, is HD really that overpriced if you got a 192 and one HD card (and ran all your plugins native), all used? Or even a 96 to tide you over until you could afford the 192? I mean, sure, it'd probably be a couple grand, but I feel like people overestimate the cost of going HD because of A) thinking they have to buy new and more importantly B) thinking they need to run TDM plugins rather than native for some reason and thus need more than one HD card. And at any rate, it'll make you happy and stop you bitching about it! :heh:

Matt, do you think it's stable enough at the moment?? been thinking of getting this - i've been a cubase user since pre - vst days and love it - (used PT for a while but I dont find it as comfortable to me)

Still so far so good and I messed around for a couple of hours today. On a completely different note however, I decided to break out my old Delta 1010 break out box so I could play some midi keyboards near zero latency and the fucker blew a capacitor. That sucks, so now I've got to wait for the new caps to come in the mail.

Haha, funny, I've got an M-audio FW1814 I was messing about with my sansamp through using cubase 5 and I guess the patch lead I plugged into the mic input has expanded inside or something and now it's stuck and won't come out. Cubase 5 + M-audio = curse.

I've been loving v 5 since installing it, had some hilarious T-pain style fun with VariAudio the other day, really glad to have that built in. Fiddling with Loopmash a bit, strange but awesome plugin once you work it out, have still yet to try any of the other plugs however.

a few major reasons why i haven't switched to protools...

1. Getting into HD efficiently to carry my project workload = too pricey (i record like 12+ tracks at once for drums, sometimes a live band which is more live track count)
2. Total Track limit, direct monitoring weirdness (ive had an LE setup before, it was fucking weird), and tool learning curve
3. Plugin Cost

obviously none of these issues will ever go away, so I dont know if i'll ever switch =\