Installed Cubase 5

I have cubase 5 also now,i think its great.
Only one small problem in variaudio it scrols very very slow,somebody got that to?
Or maybe a solution?

Wait, RTAS plug-ins aren't delay compensated under ProTools HD? I could've sworn I read something to the contrary recently.

They are; the delay. Compensation engine/play back engine must've been set up wrong and so the delay was too long to be compensated

a few major reasons why i haven't switched to protools...

1. Getting into HD efficiently to carry my project workload = too pricey (i record like 12+ tracks at once for drums, sometimes a live band which is more live track count)
2. Total Track limit, direct monitoring weirdness (ive had an LE setup before, it was fucking weird), and tool learning curve
3. Plugin Cost

obviously none of these issues will ever go away, so I dont know if i'll ever switch =

Well I can try and address some of these concerns,

2) The direct monitoring weirdness may have been hardware specific or due to incorrect set-up. I'm fairly certain direct monitoring works fine on HD. Given today's CPU power though, would you really need it? The tool learning curve is SHORT-ASS man. Seriously, you just pick up any stock standard ProTools introductory DVD and you'll be cutting through that bitch like a crackwhore with a coke lawnmower in no time.

3) You can just use the RTAS versions of your current plugs, or wrap the VST ones with the FXPansion Wrapper. Having HD doesn't mean you need to use TDM plug-ins. In many cases, why would you? Your CPU should be way more powerful than the shitty HD DSP.

I'm not sure how to address 1) really... yeah it's expensive as hell, there's no getting around that. 12 tracks in at once is fairly standard fare, but I'm not sure how much the adequate HD system to handle that would set one back. Would it be a case of needing HD1 or HD2? Speaing of which, do you need more HD accel cards to increase your virtual track count? Because that would be ass.

Speaing [sic :D] of which, do you need more HD accel cards to increase your virtual track count? Because that would be ass.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, forgot about that, and yeah, you're limited to 48 audio tracks with HD1. There goes my 192 + single card idea! I hate digidesign with such a burning passion, not for their products but rather their business practices!

Oh wait, nevermind, apparently it's 96, woohoo! :kickass: Source of info: http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/pro-tools/pthd.php

I'm gonna play the arrogant prick card and say: mostly likely shithouse. There are some good 8-channel boxes out there and Digidesign are the last company I'd be going to for outboard! I completely agree about their business practices. I love the software but really hate them. The lack of native VST support is hilarious too. They try to monopolize every facet of the industry, but all they do is create more turmoil and more platforms/standards for people to sort through. Epitome of corporate scum! The designers behind ProTools are nothing short of brilliant though. You can tell actual engineers were involved in the process rather than beat/programming geeks.

Also, lovin that HD1 RRP, even without an interface. I nearly shat a brick when I saw it :lol:

..the hijack is complete. Sorry splatt :(

Also, lovin that HD1 RRP, even without an interface. I nearly shat a brick when I saw it :lol:

Seriously, 8 grand list for a DSP card and the software, ye gods. But maybe you're on to something with your comment about the programmer's of Pro Tools; do you think it's just a coincidence that they have by far the most logical and streamlined UI? (in many people's opinions, including yours of course) I would think a fair amount of money went into R&D for that, so maybe that's reflected in the price! Then again, the program has been around for ages, so I'd imagine they would have amortized any extra expense by now with the kind of retarded prices they charge, but still, at least it's something to justify 'em! :erk: Food for thought anyway...

And I hear ya on the preamp, that's what I figured; even if it is good, I doubt it'd be any better than some of the other heavy-hitter 8 channels out there!

So I've been playing around a bit with Reaper, and surprisingly some parts of it I took a great shining to. I really love the FX chains, and the ability to create plug-in folders to sort everything to your liking and improve workflow. I briefly played with the Take system, which seems similar to Cubase's stacked lanes, and that was kinda cool. Biggest drawback for me is the UI, and the fact that most of the MANY MANY LEGIONS of menu options have such convoluted titles. Whoever they got to describe the menu functions has absolutely no idea how to be concise. Also, having to go menu-surfing to find options you would want quick access to can be a nightmare, largely due to having to read a sentence per menu entry. It's certainly not the most logical of tools, but I imagine once you work your head around it and map the keys to your liking, things could start to get fun.

It may just be something to hold off the upgrade to Cubase 5... I'll keep toying with it.

Anyway, how do you adjust pan law? I imported a track I have on here and it was clipping internally like crazy. Reaper seemed to bump the gain up for some reason. Also, where do you go to assign hardware inserts into your FX chains (ie. use an outboard compressor)?

File --> Project Settings for the pan law, not sure about the hardware inserts thing (I doubt many Reaper users are the outboard type, but I would hope they still integrated the functionality!). I hear ya on the incredibly dense and nerdy menus/descriptions, but at least once you learn 'em all will be well ;) I haven't heard about the plugin folder thing though, could you elaborate?

Anyway, how do you adjust pan law? I imported a track I have on here and it was clipping internally like crazy. Reaper seemed to bump the gain up for some reason.

Don't forget that you can also adjust the pan law for each individual track. I think you right click on the desired panner in the mixer window. Kind of a nice feature to have in case you need it.

I really love the FX chains, and the ability to create plug-in folders to sort everything to your liking and improve workflow.

Excuse my ignorance if you already knew, but you know you can create FX chains and sort plugins in Cubase too, right? I've got hundreds of FX chains saved in Cubase and it would be a real loss to lose those if I ever switched DAWs.

^ I knew about the FX chains, but I wasn't aware about being able to sort plug-ins. Pray tell, how does one do that? It'd be a great feature to get rid of all the default clutter.

@Marcus: I'd be surprised if you weren't already familiar with what I was talking about. Basically in the FX browser you can create your own folders and throw whichever plug-ins you want in there, for easier browsing. So you could for instance create your own categories such as 'compressors' 'EQs' 'channel strips' 'verbs' and just lump in all your favourite tools!

Basically in the FX browser you can create your own folders and throw whichever plug-ins you want in there, for easier browsing. So you could for instance create your own categories such as 'compressors' 'EQs' 'channel strips' 'verbs' and just lump in all your favourite tools!

You can do this in Cubase, too. You just create folders in the Program Files/Steinberg/vst folder.

Yeah I'm aware of that method, but I was hoping there would have been something within the software itself. The problem is that I use Waves and they have their own WavesShell, which you can't individualize the plug-ins from, hence defeating the point.