Instrumental mix need critiquing. WARNING: HEAVY CONTENT INSIDE

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
this is something i just put together in about a half hour, but i think its one of best mixes yet. i pretty much just tried to make the heaviest thing i could make, also testing out the 2x12 subs i just hooked up. but please, if anyone can share some opinions, or has any questions, get to it! how do the drums sound? guitars? bass?, etc... im trying to fix EVERYTHING i can so my mixes can be the best they can be!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/tests/heavyyy.mp3

:headbang:

God damn that's good as fuck what did you use for everything?
You should also add vocals!

actually yeah man sounds fucking brewwwwwwwwtul and heavy, what guitar are you using? good for half an hour, but i definately wanna hear mo4r! oh and what are those 2x12 subs you talk about? never heard of that =/

thanks guys. the guitar i use is a jackson dk2 running DI to 8505 and le456 with "mesa oversized 4x12 v30 sm57 03" and "orange 2 mics" impulses with a little post eq and compression. drums are actually programmed with samples that i got from around the forum (kick and snare are "best kick in the world" and "paramore snare", cymbals are paiste 2002's from their website). and believe it or not, the bass track is just a pitch shifted guitar running DI to acmebargig's BIG. and about the subs, i hooked up 2x12" mtx thunder 6000. only running about 15w to them though because i had to ghetto rig them to a little peavey combo amp, but at least it helps me with 808 and other low end frequencies.

I'd like a bit more bass and low-mids, there seems to be a big hole in those frequencies. If you could fill this up, it'd sound as heavy as it could.

BTW what are the toms? They sound ace.

I'd like a bit more bass and low-mids, there seems to be a big hole in those frequencies. If you could fill this up, it'd sound as heavy as it could.

BTW what are the toms? They sound ace.

i was already thinking there was a little too much low/low-mids but maybe ill try to increase it with some different compression techniques. and i dont know off the top of my head, but im pretty sure the toms are Chimaira toms from Erkan's samples.

needs bigger nastier bass tone =D gtrs could use more beef and drums could smack the fuck out of me more.

not a bad start, though. keep at it!

needs bigger nastier bass tone =D gtrs could use more beef and drums could smack the fuck out of me more.

not a bad start, though. keep at it!

thats exactly what i want to improve. BUT I DONT KNOW HOW!i feel like it all has to do with compression/mastering techniques that i have yet to learn. i know the bass tone isnt up to par because i didnt even use a real bass guitar, just down pitched my guitar because my bass needs the wiring fixed. but if theres any ideas you can throw my way to make it sound more "IN YOUR FUCKING FACE", then help me out!

well how would i go about compressing it? i only know basic compression ideas right now, but i feel like once i learn more about how to use it, then it can really make a difference in my mixing.

its hard to put into words for me, man.

i just know after years of practice WHERE to go, WHAT to do and HOW MUCH to do to get stuff sounding the way it does in my head.

my workflow is retarded and VERY improv-like..... i just GO GO GO GO.

more compression.

more parallel compression.

get the kick and bass slamming together.

then get the gtrs and bass to slam together.

CRUSH the FUCK outta your room mics and blend 'em in.

send your snr, OHs and ROOM to a couple different verbs. i like plates, rooms and halls, personally. of the lexicon type.

ALSO, i LOVE using impulses from older units like the AMS and SPX series stuff.

LAYER your drum samples. keep on going, messing w/pitch and volume until it's all mushy.

2-buss... well..... that's tricky... i know its TECHNICALLY 'wrong' but I rely a LOT on the shit on my 2-buss to get an overall vibe and GLUE.

helpful?

probably not. =D

its hard to put into words for me, man.

i just know after years of practice WHERE to go, WHAT to do and HOW MUCH to do to get stuff sounding the way it does in my head.

my workflow is retarded and VERY improv-like..... i just GO GO GO GO.

more compression.

more parallel compression.

get the kick and bass slamming together.

then get the gtrs and bass to slam together.

CRUSH the FUCK outta your room mics and blend 'em in.

send your snr, OHs and ROOM to a couple different verbs. i like plates, rooms and halls, personally. of the lexicon type.

ALSO, i LOVE using impulses from older units like the AMS and SPX series stuff.

LAYER your drum samples. keep on going, messing w/pitch and volume until it's all mushy.

2-buss... well..... that's tricky... i know its TECHNICALLY 'wrong' but I rely a LOT on the shit on my 2-buss to get an overall vibe and GLUE.

helpful?

probably not. =D

thanks for the info. ill just have to mess with some the compression and read up a little more about it. but since i used program drums, i cant really apply some of that to my drum bus, maybe the OHs can be applied to the cymbals?