Instrumental progressive metal mix

Arjen W.

Jun 29, 2006
The Netherlands
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, I just released my debut recording of my project called 'Amber Streams'. The song is called 'Myriad'. As you can read, it's an instrumental progressive metal song. It would be great to get some insights on my mix, as it's my first big recording.

The song can be found here. You can also visit the Myspace for more info, but the song is in worse quality.

Anyway, the equipment used:

- 2 cheap guitars (Samick electric and Stagg acoustic)
- V-Amp Pro
- Rode NT-2
- Behringer XENYX 802 mixer
- DKFH for drums
- Sampletank for synths/bass (the bass is bound to be recorded live but was delayed, so I released it with VST bass for now)
- E-MU 0404 soundcard
- Mixed in Cubase

So basically, alot of cheap hardware. I think the mix is pretty listenable, but far from perfect. I think it's a bit too muddy, not clear enough. The double synths (choir/strings) at some parts don't help it either. Rhythm guitars are quad-tracked. As you can tell, it's a pretty heavily-layered song, which doesn't make the mixing easier. The first part for example has rhythm guitar (electric and acoustic), three leads and a synth.

Anyway, it'd be great to get some tips on how to improve my results with the equipment I have. If you need more info let me know. Thanks!

I like your interpretation of the mix, it seems layed back, and suits really well. It does get a bit muddy so you could try giving each instrument it's own space (frequency and stereo image). It would be awasome to hear this recorded with real instruments instead of the pragraming/ digital modeling.
It works for now though.

Thanks for the response!

I like your interpretation of the mix, it seems layed back, and suits really well. It does get a bit muddy so you could try giving each instrument it's own space (frequency and stereo image). It would be awasome to hear this recorded with real instruments instead of the pragraming/ digital modeling.
It works for now though.

Thanks! Recording everything with real instruments would be awesome, but I'm not in a position to do so now, sadly. Oh, except the bass, will be recorded in a while from now.

The drums sound really faint...

and the guitars are right up front... which isnt a bad thing as long as you can hear everything else...

the guitar, I like it... it sounds descent. its really the only thing I can comment on... I cant really hear anything else...

:kickass:

Yeah, the drums became quite distant in the final mix, when I tried to turn them up, they quickly overshadowed the rhythm guitars. Maybe an EQ problem? Heh, yeah, I can't blame you for not hearing the rest. The acoustics in the heavy sections come through reasonably well, but the synths just blend in and and a lot to the muddiness. Also an EQ problem?