Instrumental Progressive content (Possible Raws)

Vihaleipä

Aug 5, 2013
Finland
soundcloud.com
Hello guys! I finally got my new song recorded and mixed, and I decided to share the result with you because there is always some room for improvement, if you could give any feedback on the mix it would be great! Also if there is anyone interested in trying their mixing skill with this track, I could post the raws here, there are many synths on this track for example so I though it could be a nice song for you to practice mixing with.

Here is my mix, tell me what you think:

https://copy.com/cLRD2owE8oRRhgo0

EDIT: Also if you guys still like the song after listening to it for like hundred times when you're mixing it, you can download it from Bandcamp for pay what you want-price (you can just enter zero if you want to download it free, thats ok too).

Fuck it, here's the final product, I'm still willing to post the raws if anyone wants them, all you have to do is ask if you want them ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great songwriting. Mix wise I think drums are not punchy enough (is that EZX Made of Metal + Metal machine?).

Thanks a lot! I used the Metal Machine for cymbals and rack toms, the snare is the Wooly Custom sample in E-tuning that Room Sound gave away some time ago for free and the kick and the floor tom are Signals Audio JayMac samples (also free).

cool song. Post the files I'll mix it.

BTW your version has some noticeable digital distortion especially around .36 seconds.

Thanks! I will try to post the files tomorrow here, I used clipping to make the mix loud followed by the limiter so that might explain it, but honestly I can hear some distortion in the ending only (I wanted to make that part 1 dB louder than the rest of the song to give it some impact). Does it sound distracting to you, is the distortion constant thing, or does it appear in some spots in the song only?

Vihaleipä;11002567 said:
Here are the raw files as I promised, enjoy! If there is anything wrong with the files just say it and I'll try to fix it if I can :lol:.

https://copy.com/WjhHxn9te9ScQu9T

Thanks, downloading now and look forward to giving it a go. I like your song and I like your mix apart from the snare, sounds too boxy to my ears. I like snap n thwack!

Again, thank you for taking the time to post these raws of your great work!

Thanks, downloading now and look forward to giving it a go. I like your song and I like your mix apart from the snare, sounds too boxy to my ears. I like snap n thwack!

Again, thank you for taking the time to post these raws of your great work!

Thanks a lot to yourself, I'm looking forward to hear your mix! I have learned so much from this forum (plus all the great free samples and IR's I've downloaded from here:lol:) so I decided to give at least something back in return, maybe I should do an exclusive mix practice song to you guys if this one gets some interest. Reaper stem export function also makes posting raws pretty effortless, what an awesome DAW.

Vihaleipä;11002314 said:
Thanks! I will try to post the files tomorrow here, I used clipping to make the mix loud followed by the limiter so that might explain it, but honestly I can hear some distortion in the ending only (I wanted to make that part 1 dB louder than the rest of the song to give it some impact). Does it sound distracting to you, is the distortion constant thing, or does it appear in some spots in the song only?
Nah, it's not constant, it's random. .34 seconds tho is very noticeable plus some punches towards the end.

About the mix tho. Not bad at all but IMO...
2 things I really like is
the naturalness of it. Really suits the song.
and the vertical plane. Doesn't really sound up and down if that makes sense.
Sprinkle some ambiance and chorus on the leads, drop a few dbs on the resonant frequency of the kick, bring the drum shell more in your face (transient designer), pin down the swelling synths (Limiter-slow release), and don't worrying about how loud the mix is and you are on your way.

I imported the files. Thanks for the sharing.
What is the tempo of the song? Any tempo changes?

I imported the files. Thanks for the sharing.
What is the tempo of the song? Any tempo changes?

The tempos should be embbed in the midi file, if you import the midi to a completely new project it should create those changes automatically. And in Reaper if you import the midi file in to the project (Drums .mid in this case), it should ask if you want to import the tempo changes the the project.

If that doesn't work for some reason, I can look for the tempo map and write 'em down here.

Here are the tempos just in case:

1. 180 BPM 6/8 (time signature doesn't change at all, just the tempo)
83. 177 BPM
147. 165 BPM
179. 163 BPM

Also if there is anything else you want to know don't hesitate to ask.