Which would you rather own?

• Intel

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Advanced Micro Devices

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
Intel... I've been using this brand for over 10 years and it's still trustworthy.

AMD, while Intel may have the best processor out right now, i've had countless problems with Intel processors in the past. AMD, however, has always proved reliable.

How do Intel have the best processor out? Highest clock speed maybe, but not 'best'.

I'd say it all boils down to personal preference; the Athlon has lower clock speeds but puts out more work per CPU cycle, making it more efficient per Mhz than the Pentium, but I'd have to say....

AMD FX-53 > *

Yeah, the reason I said best was because I couldn't be bothered to type out "highest clock speed". Yes, I am that lazy.

hehe :)

At the moment I'd definitely go with AMD though, as I'm far too cheap to get Intel when something for similar performance can be had for half the price.

AMD. Intel has the faster processors, and apparently in head-to-head comparison tests they are slightly faster, but AMD has a great bang for you buck. Besides, everyone uses Intel. :p

I just plain don't know, nevermind having an opinion on which is better. =)

For no rational, logical or neccessarily internally documented empirical reasons, I quite like AMD myself. =D

Intel has the performance edge, that's for sure.

But AMD is still cheaper. It may not be quite as fast, but it is still fast enough, and the higher price of Intel just doesn't justify the performance increase.

AMD > Intel

AMD OWNZ INTEL
by mid 2005 the 64s will be at 3.1 ghz ... though intels will be over 3.8 id still go with Intel.

Cut and pasted from another thread. :p

Xenophobe: The Nforce3 will kick ass eventually, new chipset's out soon and should be great. However, an A64 3200 even now owns your Pentium and my lowly Athlon :(
Eventually. The nForce3 WILL kick ass, but there are just too many problems, especially with video cards. I don't want to pay money to be a lab rat...

I also didn't pay $800 for my CPU either. The A64FX was $800 more than my P4 3.2 when I bought it. As for the A64FX owning it, yes, but the Athlon 3200 doesn't. And the Athlon 64FX doesn't own the P4 Extreme Edition 3.2, which is roughly the same price.

I think paying all that money for the brand new cpu is about as silly as buying a brand new car. The second you drive that $25,000 vehicle off the lot it deppriciates thousands in its market value, so why didn't you at least buy a barely used one? No excuse. Such small gains are made at a time usually these days with cpu power and speed that so long as you have a decently powerful system it will not benefit you to upgrade to the newest cpu in any fashion that will make the cost seem justified. I personally prefer AMD because the value/performance scales tip in their favor. Its why I went with the Athlon when putting this thing together last year, though I nearly went with a P4.

The newest Intel I own is a 486.
Right now I have a 3000+ and a 2700+, a K6-2, an a K-6 then some more not worth mentioning. My 2700+ has only 256 megs of ram right now and a cheap video card, but it's still equal to my friend's P4 2.7 with a gig of ram.(i think, might be 3.0). My 3000+ with 512 ram and geforce64 is faster than any pentium I've used so far :)

Wandrail said:
I think paying all that money for the brand new cpu is about as silly as buying a brand new car. The second you drive that $25,000 vehicle off the lot it deppriciates thousands in its market value, so why didn't you at least buy a barely used one? No excuse. Such small gains are made at a time usually these days with cpu power and speed that so long as you have a decently powerful system it will not benefit you to upgrade to the newest cpu in any fashion that will make the cost seem justified. I personally prefer AMD because the value/performance scales tip in their favor. Its why I went with the Athlon when putting this thing together last year, though I nearly went with a P4.
Well, figure, I upgraded from a Athlon 700 that I'd been using for over 2 years. That's equivalent to a P2 700. I think the leap to a P4 3.2 wasn't a bad one. Besides, the CPU wasn't all that expensive. I wanted the P4 3.2 Extreme, but that was +800. I didn't see a need for that, and I can just upgrade to that at a later time.

This is the first prebuilt system I've ever bought, and so far I'm loving it. It's nice to finally have a computer with all the high-end components that I wanted, without having to put it together... sure I could have saved roughly $400 (from what I calculated from Pricewatch.com prices) at the time of purchase, but I didn't have to do anything but open the box.

And yes, I can build'em... I remember the old days when you used to have to specify memory address ranges for the high end graphics cards with an IRQ, and set all my IRQ's and DMAs :loco:

First computer I remember building was helping my dad put together a 386...
I'm trying to find all the parts I need to build an oldschool DOs only computer for games that don't have a timer and jsut run on the system speed... currently I'm running a dos only computer with 380 megs of ram, TNT2 video, and a 450 processor... and the only thing on it is dos and master of magic...

SculptedCold said:
hehe, nowadays you just stick all the bits together and the stuff practically makes itself work!

Very true. Nowadays everything comes all nicely labelled and colour coded, with a one inch thick user manual and a quick start guide plus 24 hour technical support!

I remember the days of hercules graphics, manuals written in some foreign language that was supposedly english and 40 meg hard drives that weighed a tonne and took up two bays. Thank good for user friendliness I eh? :D

Back on-topic, its AMD all the way for me. I've had two intel processors and exactly zero AMD processors die on me, so its a pretty simple choice for me.