AMD Phenom X6

osum

Misanthrope
Jun 26, 2011
South Germany
Salut,

I'm thinking of buying a new PC. Does anyone have experience with the AMD Phenom X6 6-Core CPU? Especially its performance for VSTs etc.
Or are the Intel i7 still alot better for that stuff?

While Intel will be better compared to the AMD equivalent, the Intel chips are a hell of a lot more expensive and don't give that much of a performance difference. So if you are on a budget, the X6 will treat you nicely

1090T here, have not bothered to max it out yet. It does everything and more. What you really should be worried about is upgradeability. Which platform will allow you to upgrade with the least of hassle IMO. AFAIK Intel will never let you put in the next gen CPU in a last gen MoBo. And since the announcement of their DLC overclock shenanigans (basically you gotta pay for an overclock which is effectively just a BIOS flash, and when you replace MoBos your OC is null and void), I'm loathe to recommend them.

But do take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'd probably buy an AMD if it was twice the price and half the performance.

Yeah x6 hasnt hickuped on me yet with TONS of plugins running. Overclocking it to 4gHz with ease. Hello 24 gHz of processing :). Also, I feel another thing you should invest in is a nice Sold State Drive and put windows (better to have 64 bit os) on it as well as your daw and vsts. Set it up like that and you will fly.

Thx so far.

Does anyone have a special suggestion for a firewire PCIe card? I read that it really should have a TI chipset?