Thinking of rolling with AMD not intel for the new studio build...

Pash

Jan 1, 2011
Bournemouth UK
Hi guys,

Found some great deals on custom build PC's online. In the past I've just made do with what I had, since then I've had a few people come to me about recording there band as they like my work. So I thought I should probably invest in something solid.

What do you guys make of this deal/package?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIX-CORE-AMD-...t=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item1e62ea103a

Really want to make sure Im getting the right stuff. Just a bit wary of AMD over Intel, and I cannot work out why its so cheap... aha.

Thanks in advance! x

AMD make awesome solid cpu's and motherboard chipsets...

they can do alot of heavy lifting as a daw..

but

If you want the best performance right now an intel processor is your best bet

even the i3's/i5's will outpace the quadcore phenoms...

that does not mean you can't get the job done with a amd though

I run a first gen amd quad phenom and it is great! Never a hiccup but I would get even better performance out of an intel...

AMDs are always cheaper generally and carry the best price to performance ratio (its actually kind of scary). They are so much cheaper because they are intel's previous generation architecture that has been tweaked, improved and hot-rodded to extremes, so while the newer generation intels are faster, they really aren't working to the designs full potential, where the AMDs are pushing every last drop of performance. Its quite funny because the AMDs give the upper end intels a decent run for their money even before you look at the cost difference.

I always say

If you want something fast and effecient for good money, go AMD
If you have the money to get every last drop of speed possible, go with Intel.

The build listed would be killer and is actually very well priced (doing USD to British pounds in my head of course) and you should't really see any performance issues at all for quite some time.

AFAIK the i5 2500k is the best bang for your buck now. Essentially equivalent to the old top-end Intels (which were around $1k), except its like $200-250.

AMD is a decent brand though. I don't know how that processor stacks up to the i5. The other thing I'd be concerned about there is the harddrive - there's no details, and at so big its probably 5400rpm.

I used to be a huge Intel fan and my last computer I built was built around an AMD Phenom X4 and I have yet to have a single hiccup with this thing. For the price, you really can't beat AMD, sure the i7 might be kickass, but for the price you pay for one, you could buy the top of the line AMD for much less and get very close.