Interface

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
I've been buying stuff lately:

Two Shure SM57s (currently on backorder?)
One Shure PG48-XLR
B-52 AT-412 480W 4x12 Cab
Peavey 6505+ Head (backorder too)

The question has fallen to interfaces. I figured a new thread would be nice, since there is a lot to consider in an interface. The 'Fireface' one looked nice, but that's a bit out of my price range. I was wondering if anyone knew the good and bad aspects of the Firewire M-Box 2, or knew of any great options for the $600 price range? I'm fixed on having at least 2 inputs to mic the cab with the two microphones. That would be sweet.

:headbang:

I've got a Dell, and from the review I saw on there, the Firepod doesn't work good with Dell computers. o_o
I've got 2.8Ghz processor and 1gig of ram. The UltraLite Firewire interface from MOTU says it's not good with PCs either...
I can't afford to get a Mac to get these things too! >.>

My heartfelt condolences for the Dell - if only people knew what they could truly do to people's lives. I haven't heard about too many problems with Dells and Firepods, so I can't comment, but I know quite a few people who use MOTU gear on PCs without issues.

Oh, and there are alternatives to Dell boxes and Macs - we call them 'computers'. I tinker with computers just about constantly, so feel free to PM me with any questions.

Jeff

My heartfelt condolences for the Dell - if only people knew what they could truly do to people's lives. I haven't heard about too many problems with Dells and Firepods, so I can't comment, but I know quite a few people who use MOTU gear on PCs without issues.

Oh, and there are alternatives to Dell boxes and Macs - we call them 'computers'. I tinker with computers just about constantly, so feel free to PM me with any questions.

Jeff

I've got a dell and a 828mkII and it works beautiful only when I'm playing back a bunch of tracks at 32 samples does it start to shit out. :heh:

if you only need 2 channels going in, it might be worth your time to scope out the mackie onyx satellite. the onyx preamps are pretty sweet, and the unit is cheap enough now that it'd save you a few bones to spend on other shit later

the m-box is great if you want protools...but honestly, PT LE is nothing to write home about, especially on windows-based system. and double especially on a dell.

Ouch. :D

It's a hand-me down computer, though. But in all seriousness, for a truly kickass computer, I'd need a ton of cash.

JBroll, what are you talking about? Dells and Macs are computers, aren't they? :p

The Mackie Onyx Satellite got some bad reviews and wow, it's really cheap! Are you sure this is a good thing to consider?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-Onyx-Satellite-Recording-Interface?sku=248154

M-Audio FireWire 1814 Computer Recording Interface: This thing looked promising. The reviews were pretty decent, and they didn't mention having a lot of problems with this one. The $499 price tag is right in my range. What do you guys know about this device?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-FireWire-1814-Computer-Recording-Interface?sku=709201

PreSonus FIREBOX 24-bit/96kHz FireWire Recording System: This one is $299. Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread I think. Like most of the others, the reviews mention that the preamps are weak... Are they all supposed to be in these, or is it just because they're cheap? Also there was a mention that it has static with SM57s. That would NOT be good! What do you guys know about this device?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...bit96kHz-FireWire-Recording-System?sku=184133

RME Fireface 400 FireWire Audio Interface: This is the cheaper, Firewire 400 version of the Fireface I guess. The other one is $1500. This one is $999. It's not TOO far out of my price range, it may be possible to pick this one up. There are no reviews so I don't know what to think as far as peoples' experience goes with the device. What do you guys know or think about this one?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/RME-Fireface-400-Firewire-Audio-Interface?sku=240318

Out of all the devices mentioned, what is the one you would consider the most dependable?

I REALLY want to have good quality microphone input (XLR) for vocals, and two SM57s angled at a cab for rhythm input. I'm not sure what kind of cord the SM57s have whether it be regular jack or XLR. I will not be recording a full live band or anything huge. I'll mostly just do one input at a time, or like I said, the 2 rhythm tracks at once. Bass, keys, could be one input. Actually I don't have a bass rig so I might just go DI with that.

I still appreciate the help :D

The Mackie Onyx Satellite got some bad reviews and wow, it's really cheap! Are you sure this is a good thing to consider?

i can't speak from experience on this one, but i do own one of the onyx mixers, and have had good results

i guess there's been some quality issues with the satellite....so who knows if it'd work out for you

RME is your best bet. If you can save enough cash go for it. I still can't, so I bought a used E-mu 1616m for 310 euro mint condition. Great converters and more than decent mic pres, IMO.