Recommendations on MIDI Keyboards, Soundcard and Studio Monitors.

RemoWilliams

¯\(°_o)/¯ How meet Devil?
Nov 13, 2005
I'm posting this just to get ideas on any recommendations for nice, weighted, 88 key MIDI keyboards and also sound cards that have good interfaces for keyboard inputs and any other inputs needed. Also, any recommendations on studio monitors would be great too. I know some would say use the search function, but since this is a sort of hybrid mix of recommendations not really relating to recording "bands" or microphones. My interface with be PC with Cubase more than likely.

Oh, and the type of music I'm planning on doing is just orchestral/electronic maybe with touches of guitar here and there.

Oh, and price range being nothing too crazy. Maybe cap each item at $1,000.

In case you're not a piano player, maybe you shouldnt bother with a weighted 88 keys midi keyboard.
You will have to spend quite a bit of money to get one that feels "right". The low-end ones just feel like crap to be honest.
I bought a Roland RD-150 digital piano some years ago and its alright. Doesnt really feel like a piano but not bad at all.

Based on what you say, you'll need a interface with one or two mic/inst inputs and midi i/o.
There are TONS of interfaces like that, most of them cost the same. Take your pick!

Only monitors I can say anything about is the ones I have used myself.
Samson Resolv 65a: Decent enough for starters but doesnt translate too well. Pleasant to listen to though :D
Adam A7: These get alot of love and Im no exception :)

I dont know. Your needs seem to be very standard and its hard to say get this and this and that one and this one.

If it's orchestral stuff and since Samsons were suggested, I would say get the r6a's instead. The ribbon tweeters are a little "truer" if I may say than the normal stuff by Samson. The bass response is not bad either on the Rubicons.

As for the keyboard, I am currently looking for a change as well (I'm hooking up my Yamaha PSR1500 to my PC via USB) since I'm sick of those completely unweighted keys. I almost completely lost my touch on piano because of it and it's pretty annoying. I checked out some semi-weighted synths by Yamaha (but those were SERIOUSLY expensive) but I'm mainly looking for midi controllers only, I'll update you once I find a good/relatively cheap product. Fully weighted midi controllers are a waste IMHO, they feel nothing like a real piano. Mind you, I have been playing piano for over 15 years.

I'm definitely no expert on MIDI controllers, but I can offer some feedback regarding studio monitors.

I regularly use Mackie HR824s, Adam S2.5As, Yamaha HS50s w/ a Yamaha sub, and M Audio BX8as. I prefer the Mackies, as they seem to offer the most "flat" sound out of the bunch. They don't flatter the source material (which is kind of the point) and mixes done on them tend to translate well. I've also been using the Mackies longer than the rest of the bunch, so it could just be that I'm used to them. But those are my two cents.

I appreciate the responses very much and the time taken to give ideas. I will definitely take the Studio Monitor suggestions and see which one's I like.

I kind of figured any decently priced Sound Card with a variety of input would get the job done mainly for synth/keyboard based stuff. I may look into the M-Audio side.

I may look into a M-Audio 88 key MIDI controller as well. I guess MIDI controllers are very limited from the aspect of that they do very little except just trigger stuff from your computer.

The RME 9632 is cheap and good. That's what I use. The converters are good and the latency is as good or better than the Firefaces. You can get one used for really cheap...

I'd recommend not bothering with weighted keys if you're doing mostly synths... if you're really a piano player and really want that realistic feel, then go for it, but otherwise I don't think it'd be necessary...

Anyone have the M-Audio Axiom Pro? That's what I've been recently interested in. At least a bit better feel, but what I like about it is how you can edit your plugins parameters through its own display, looks pretty seamless

Anyone have the M-Audio Axiom Pro? That's what I've been recently interested in. At least a bit better feel, but what I like about it is how you can edit your plugins parameters through its own display, looks pretty seamless

Yeah, the editing the plugin from the keyboard sounds pretty awesome. And weighted keys are a must for me. I have the low line M-Audio MIDI keyboard and it pains me to play it since the keys feel like hollow plastic.

Also, as far as Studio Monitors go, is a Sub needed, or do most just go with the stereo speakers? Also, do I need any special kind of surface to put them to get as clean a response as possible?