New monitors for my small home studio

Quax

New Metal Member
May 11, 2010
Karlsruhe
Hey there,

I'm looking to buy my first set of nearfield monitors. I've had a set of Teufel Concept 2.1s, which, as you can imagine, are absolute crap for doing mixes.
I'm looking to do metal and rock mainly, maybe some orchestral stuff here and there. My budget is everything up to 450€/pair. As my room is untreated (and I'll be moving in the foreseeable future, so I can't invest in treatment), I was thinking about buying a pair of Equator D5s (which cost 440€ in Germany) because of all the positive reviews and neutral response. Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks in forward!

Greetings Quax

"Care to Elaborate?"

I think that any monitor in this range will have some downsides/learning curve (really all monitors do). I would worry about treating the room first. Then with what is left over buy the best set that you can buy. If that means 200.00 for room treatment and 200.00 monitors, thats better than 400.00 monitors in a shit room. Im only telling you this because I've played the monitor game before. I only suggested the Yamaha's because the are well built and sound good enough to make rational decisions on. I have the HS80's, my room is 500sq ft. These things blow my head off at half volume. Im assuming the HS50's would have sufficient power. Getting used to the monitors and room you have is the most important. I found that my Yamaha monitors, good headphones, and my vehicle sound system have been good to me. I can actually tell you a true story, when I started fiddling around with recording I had a Delta 1010 soundcard and I had my 3 disc cd changer all in one stereo system for monitoring. I listened to music for years through that stereo and then used it for both mixing and listening. After a few mixes I realized I loved recording and wanted some "real gear", I bought a set of Samson studio monitors, looking back now on some of those mixes (although they are all shit), the mixes that I mixed on the stereo were much better as far as translating and having a more "balanced" sound. The early mixes on my samsons were very heavy in the low mids. Very uncontrolled in the bass regions. Basically the moral is get a set you like the sound of and get used to them.

Cheers!