Interfaces

Sep 16, 2004
www.whereshewept.com
So what kind of audio interfaces does every one use? I read what Andy uses, but i can't afford anything like that. I've got protools free and i've been playing with it using my pc sound card. Now i want to record some drums and see what i can do. I know that the Mbox has only 2 mic inputs and cost about $400 USD. Thats about all i can afford.

Will other manufacturers interfaces work with Pro Tools, or do you have to stick with Digidesign's hardware interfaces?

I saw Presonus' Firepod on Musiciansfriend.com, and it comes with Cubase LE 48 track software. and has 8 mic inputs for $599 USD.

Also if Andy uses a Dangerus 2 bus, does he only mix down 16 tracks?

i use digidesign digi 001 and it works fine, you can find it on ebay for about 300 bucks, comes with Protools LE. 8 inputs and 8 outputs, you will probably need preamps too to record drums, too, i use a mixer and this direct box + the 2 preamps on the digi...

as far as i know, digidesign is an "evil" company and you gotta use their hardware. probably not true with protools free though...i was looking at firepod at guitar center the other day, too. a little expensive though.

I have a delta 44 with cubase. Its only 4 channels but it sounds great for what i use it for. M-audio stuff is pretty affordable though i'm not sure it works with pro tools.

RD

Where She Wept said:
So what kind of audio interfaces does every one use? I read what Andy uses, but i can't afford anything like that. I've got protools free and i've been playing with it using my pc sound card. Now i want to record some drums and see what i can do. I know that the Mbox has only 2 mic inputs and cost about $400 USD. Thats about all i can afford.

Will other manufacturers interfaces work with Pro Tools, or do you have to stick with Digidesign's hardware interfaces?

No, with protools LE you can just use digi001, digi002 and mbox, they're like a hardware key (Digidesign fucking bastards!!! :tickled: )
On the protools free I don't know.
I'm using digi002 and a presonus digimax lt 8 mic pre via adat , they costed to me 3100 Eur :OMG: (2000 Eur for digi002 and 1100 Eur for the digimax).
Mbox hasn't adat in, so you can work with just the two mic pre provided.

I saw Presonus' Firepod on Musiciansfriend.com, and it comes with Cubase LE 48 track software. and has 8 mic inputs for $599 USD.

I know that Digi002 is not cheap, so go for Presonus' Firepod, is great for that price.

Maurizio

If your budget was larger, I'd recommend the 001 or 002. But, because it isn't, I'd actually say that you should aim for an M-Audio Delta 1010. It has 8 or 10 inputs(can't remember), is really solid, and significantly cheaper than Digidesign's stuff.

I use an Edirol FA-101 10-i/10-o external soundcard. It is as cheap as an M-audio 1010 and (in my opinion) much better. But, if you've got PTfree running then your not on Win XP, so this interface won't be of any use to you (XP/OSX only).

The presonus is a great interface.

As far as I know PT Free don't works with other Soundcards then the "sound on board". There is no way to mount the inputs to other soundcards IMHO.

I use Cubase SX or Samplitude 7 together with MOTU 24IO 24in/out or RME Digiface with ADAT bridges (24in/out)

hey thanks for all the info, I'm am still running Win98SE because i friggin hate WinXP. Which brings up weather or not my computer is up to par with the requirements of Protools ( I'm sure that's a whole nother can of worms).

The Digi 001 looks like a nice interface for what i want. So it looks like i'd have to get it bundled with Protools LE or something. I already have an ADAT and i plan on purchase ing at least 2 more off ebay this coming year. I want to start doing demos for other bands just to finance better recording equipment. I'd love to just jump in the hard disk pool, but it looks like i'm starting at the bottom

-Later

I have owned many different interfaces and currently am using the Tascam/Frontier Designs FW-1884. I ditched about 5K worth of MOTU converters and Presonus preamps and replaced it with this unit. I chose it over the Digi 02 because it has 8 Mic pres (vs 4 on the Digi 02) and is compatable with a wide range of DAW applications. I was recording all my tracks at 192Khz when I had my MOTU setup, but there is really no appreciable difference in quality going down to 88.2 . I use 88.2 for cleaner conversion to 44.1 CD mastering. Unless you got very high end mics and a professionaly engineered room and Avalon or comparable pres, honestly it is best to record at about 44.1 /24 bit anyhow. If you do end up recording in the low sampling rate (44.1) the Tascam has ADAT I/O as well so any mixer/preamp that has ADAT out can easily run 8tracks to and from the Tascam, so that is potentially 16 live tracks at 44.1 24 bit. In my situation I (like most semi pros) just dont have adequete space to record more than 16 live tracks anyhow.

I have turned a few other musicians on to the FW-1884 and they also love it. For the money ($1300 from Musician's Friend) it simply cannot be beaten. Don't be shy because it says Tascam, it also has the Frontier Designs logo on it. Good pres, good converters, motorized touch sensitive faders, VERY intuitive layout, and ultimate compatibility. I use Sonar Prducer 3 and the thing seems made for it. I admit, I did like my Mackie Control surface a little better, but for all this offers in one package, it is a Godsend. -Shawn

Oh, yeah, in case I wasnt clear, the FW-1884 is an 18 channel 24 bit 96Khz firewire interface. I ranted about 44.1 just because if you want to use the ADAT ins you have to stick to 48Khz or less.