upgrading to protools???

doclegion

Contagious Destruction
Dec 31, 2006
Right now i use 2 firepods with sx3. I been using this for about 6 years and i wanna upgrade..
So....i seen protools 9.. now im not a huge protools guy but i am curious and its now compatible with my firepod interfaces :D thats the shit i been waiting for!!! Protools hardware is costly so my draw back was having to grab a new expensive interface and i didnt wanna do that...

Anyway should i do the protools upgrade or stick with maybe a newer version of cubase??? Im gonna need a new computer either way

it's more like a downgrade IMO. especially if you are really used to cubase.

get cubase 5 or 6 and worry about it no more.

[UEAK]Clowd;9817995 said:
it's more like a downgrade IMO. especially if you are really used to cubase.

get cubase 5 or 6 and worry about it no more.

mmmmmmmmmmm
no

DO it

Pro Tools 9 kicks ass.

I have had few issues though, like random crashes with few plugins and random elastic audio bugs. Elastic audio x-form sometimes loses track of the rendered files or it won't render new quantisized region correctly and it gets stuck. Those situations just fuck my project sessions (cause it everytime tries to find the incomplete rendered files or smthing?!?!) and the only solution is to create a new project file and NOT import the fucked up track.

Also I feel like my midicontroller (BCF2000) has had crashing issues with PT9. When I don't seriously need it in a session, I always unplug it.

Yes, PT9 is seriously awesome DAW, but I feel like it has pretty many bugs or then all my problems are just gear related.

It's neither an upgrade or a downgrade, you're simply moving sideways and whether you like it or not depends completely on your personal preference and workflow. PT compatibility is good to have though, and since the license for PT9 isn't that expensive, you could just buy it and see if you like it.

I've been running PT9 nearlöy flawlessly since last December here.

Pro Tools 9 kicks ass.

I have had few issues though, like random crashes with few plugins and random elastic audio bugs. Elastic audio x-form sometimes loses track of the rendered files or it won't render new quantisized region correctly and it gets stuck. Those situations just fuck my project sessions (cause it everytime tries to find the incomplete rendered files or smthing?!?!) and the only solution is to create a new project file and NOT import the fucked up track.

Also I feel like my midicontroller (BCF2000) has had crashing issues with PT9. When I don't seriously need it in a session, I always unplug it.

Yes, PT9 is seriously awesome DAW, but I feel like it has pretty many bugs or then all my problems are just gear related.

I'm not trying to turn this into a platform fight, but looking at your sig, I think your PC setup might play a role with the crashing. I've been running PT (8 M-Powered and 9) on my iMac setup for 1,5 years now, and I can honestly say the only time PT has crashed here was because of a beta plugin (like VCC). Other than that, zero crashes.

PT is the most crashy host in my informed and expert software QA opini-onion.

crashing comes down to User error or improper compatibility most of the time. Cubase crashes on me about every 3rd time I use it, does that mean that cubase is built poorly compared to PT which crashes about 1 in every 50 times I open it? I know for a fact it's cause I have alot of wrapped VST plugins for PT that are not playing nice with cubase, but that's not cubases fault it's mine.

PT is not the most crashy host, but It could be for you simply because something in your system is "wrong".

To the original poster, despite being an avid PT user (pun intended), I'd say it might be more practical to stick to what you know. Cubase is a solid program and by upgrading to 5 or 6 you would really be able to do almost anything PT can do with only a slightly different work flow. If you're up for the challenge of getting to know a program that is built considerably different then go for it!

Over the years, I have used and got to know very very well Cakewalk, Sonar, Cubase, Digital Performer, Logic, Reaper... All this because there was always something "wrong" with those DAW, something I didn't like working with. Now I have Pro Tools 9 and I'm settled for good, I definitely don't regret the move. Also the learning curve is not steep at all, very easy and intuitive. As Adam Wathan advised me when I made the switch, I got a one month subscription to Groove3 and the tutorials they have on their website are awesome, totally worth it and make using PT right-away for mixing a breeze!!!

The only reason i would stick to cubase is because i already know it..
But the protools thing would be so that i have experience with another DAW but thats an expensive move haha if i stick with cubase i will have extra money to buy and upgrade some plugins

The only reason i would stick to cubase is because i already know it..
But the protools thing would be so that i have experience with another DAW but thats an expensive move haha if i stick with cubase i will have extra money to buy and upgrade some plugins

Can't think of a better reason to stick with Cubase. Get some new plugs.

I'd say stick with Cubase. But I've been using Cubase since SX1, now on C5/6, and have never had a problem with it, so that is my biased opinion.

Dont change "just because"
IMHO you need a damn good reason to change from something you know well to comething you need to learn from scratch.

I, like Bret, have used, (and supported as a professional) most of them since Cakewalk pro audio 9 became sonar onwards,
Cubase 3.7 VST became VST 5, then SX, 1,2,3,4,5,6
Nuendo 1.2.3.4,
Logic 4,5 on PC over to mac,
PT TDM 5.6.7.8.9
etc etc... and there isnt really much difference in the greater scheme of things, its just small features that differ so do your homework on the features you need and compare them.
changing wont make your productions suddenly better.

What is missing from Cubase that you need from PT and vice versa, because if you change, you may notice something you rely on in Cubase isnt there in PT that you assumed would be.

Make a list of what YOU need because our needs may be different to yours.

Then IF PT Has what YOU need go for it, you wont be dissapointed, but as goes for all of them make sure you have a nice solid up to date stable system or you may be sorely dissapointed at the first hurdle.

When this question comes up again and again, all you get is a shitfight between people saying theirs is better, you need to make this decision yourself quantified on your needs ....end of ;)

Dont change "just because"
IMHO you need a damn good reason to change from something you know well to comething you need to learn from scratch.

I, like Bret, have used, (and supported as a professional) most of them since Cakewalk pro audio 9 became sonar onwards,
Cubase 3.7 VST became VST 5, then SX, 1,2,3,4,5,6
Nuendo 1.2.3.4,
Logic 4,5 on PC over to mac,
PT TDM 5.6.7.8.9
etc etc... and there isnt really much difference in the greater scheme of things, its just small features that differ so do your homework on the features you need and compare them.
changing wont make your productions suddenly better.

What is missing from Cubase that you need from PT and vice versa, because if you change, you may notice something you rely on in Cubase isnt there in PT that you assumed would be.

Make a list of what YOU need because our needs may be different to yours.

Then IF PT Has what YOU need go for it, you wont be dissapointed, but as goes for all of them make sure you have a nice solid up to date stable system or you may be sorely dissapointed at the first hurdle.

When this question comes up again and again, all you get is a shitfight between people saying theirs is better, you need to make this decision yourself quantified on your needs ....end of ;)

Good advice...thanks im sure i might stick with cubase anyway i thought about me aready knowing the work flow