Audio Interfaces and ProTools or no?

I'd recommend buying PT8 straight off the bat. I've given up with Pro-Tools, I simply cannot keep purchasing upgrade after upgrade. If I need to mix a PT session, I get them consolidated first and pull them into Reaper.

I'm still trying to figure out if I should buy the educational/academic version of PT. I called Digi to ask how it was different from the regular version and they said they had no idea.

Oh, also thought I'd mention: In the SoundonSound review of the 003, they seem to say the preamps in it may be slightly better than those in an Octopre. Now, according to all my googling, almost everyone seems to say the 2626 has better preamps than the 003, so in turn, this means the 2626 preamps are better than the Octopre pres. Maybe.

Octopre has compressor/limiter function though.

What I care most about preamps is that they have low noise floor. Noise floor on the 002 preamps were like -20dB

For the podcast I went from having to noise gate, compress and eq my dialog, and was never really happy with it.
now I just compress and I'm way happier. The Profire makes my life easier in that way.

Just fired up my Profire 2626 and only tried listening so far. Am I imagining it or does this interface sound shitloads better than the Firepod? I put on Faith no more's Midlife crisis and sat in awe, I never imagined only a slightly pricier interface would make such a difference. It might be completely psychological (it cost more, it has to be better), but then again, I really didn't expect it to sound better on playback!

Personally I didn't hear a difference just playing music between this and 002 (wasn't using the converters for music listening before) but my GF said it sounded different/better lol.

Heh, yeah. The thing is, I have never bothered to give much thought to converters on these cheaper interfaces and considered all the talk mostly just gear elitism. I got the Profire purely for the ADATs and the possibility to run ProTools (which should be here this week), so it never even popped into my mind that I would notice any difference when listening to music :O

Well yeah, I definitely think it's safe to say D/A converters make a much more noticeable improvement, since that's what you're hearing a whole mix through, whereas with A/D converters they're all just bringing in tracks and converting them individually. I've definitely noticed a difference in stereo field depth and clarity between converters (though this is between a PodXT, Mackie Onyx Satellite, and laptop sound card :erk: - interestingly enough, the Pod was the best)