Audio Interfaces and ProTools or no?

OMG!!! The profire 2626 at DV247 (UK online shop) ...... 352£ (383€)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it's so cheap because the £ is really low now. Here in Italy 2626 is 660€!!!

Well yeah, I definitely think it's safe to say D/A converters make a much more noticeable improvement, since that's what you're hearing a whole mix through, whereas with A/D converters they're all just bringing in tracks and converting them individually. I've definitely noticed a difference in stereo field depth and clarity between converters (though this is between a PodXT, Mackie Onyx Satellite, and laptop sound card :erk: - interestingly enough, the Pod was the best)

Of course, but I just didn't imagine two units from about the same price range would sound so different, and the Firepod is generally a well regarded unit.

I followed AGZ's lead and tested this out on my girlfriend. I asked her to listen to a song or two and she instantly said "Whoa, everything sounds much clearer than before!" :)

I haven't read the whole thread but why not purchase a 2626 and keep using sonar? That way you're not stuck with 18 track limitation in PT. Keep PT on hand to satisfy the naive customers that expect PT but use Sonar for the rest of your projects.

I haven't read the whole thread but why not purchase a 2626 and keep using sonar? That way you're not stuck with 18 track limitation in PT. Keep PT on hand to satisfy the naive customers that expect PT but use Sonar for the rest of your projects.

Probably because we wanna use Protools :)
I think 18 tracks isn't a limitation.....you can record a complete drumkit with no problem at all.
Anyway I used sonar for years and it's a very good Daw. Now I'm on Mac and I use Logic but I wanna switch to protools.

18 track count limitation? It is actually 48 tracks now in Pro Tools 8.

To stay on topic with the thread... I love both of my Profire 2626's. I run the 2nd one via ADAT into my first one. I originally got my first so I could just use Pro Tools for whenever I needed it and I ended up loving Pro Tools so much I switched from my other DAW.

18 simultaneous in out. You can see all the ins and outs in the Pro Tools I/O setup but no signal can be sent or received past 18. You can reorder the inputs in the PF control panel.

48 tracks mono or stereo any combination totaling 48.

Uhm...I've a question...
I can't find the full program of protools 8 anywhere but only the upgrade (120$).
If I don't have protools 7.4, can I install the upgrade to have my pt8?
In the official store there are these upgrades only..

Ugh, now I'm tyring to decide between Protools 8 Academic, and non-Academic. Academic seems to come with the Digitranslator, and the timecode ruler, and it's $100 cheaper than non-academic. Anyone know if Academic is somehow crippled?

I've heard that the DAE isn't as good in academic versions, this is coming from reputable sources. I personally don't know; i used to use academic 7.3, then i got a free upgrade to regular 7.4. I can't tell an audible difference. When i would take my mixes from home to HD systems they would sound much better though. It might be different now with PT8.

18 track count limitation? It is actually 48 tracks now in Pro Tools 8.

To stay on topic with the thread... I love both of my Profire 2626's. I run the 2nd one via ADAT into my first one. I originally got my first so I could just use Pro Tools for whenever I needed it and I ended up loving Pro Tools so much I switched from my other DAW.

I was referring to the 2626 and PT M-Powered limitation.

Uhm...I've a question...
I can't find the full program of protools 8 anywhere but only the upgrade (120$).
If I don't have protools 7.4, can I install the upgrade to have my pt8?
In the official store there are these upgrades only..

You'll have to get the boxed version from a retailer.
I know we have it in stock at my store ($299CDN) but it's no good to you if you're out of Canada.

If you have an iLok already the upgrade might work. it seems to be the full installer. (I had an expired NFR of 7.4 on my iLok and it worked for me) it seems to be the full installer.
There's no printed manual in the boxed version. FYI

Uhm....actually I can't find the boxed version anywhere...also from an official vendor.
This thing is not too much clear... Now I need PT8 and I don't know if I have to buy the 7.4 and the upgrade (don't know if it's free yet) or if the upgrade can work as a complete new program..

Uhm....actually I can't find the boxed version anywhere...also from an official vendor.
This thing is not too much clear... Now I need PT8 and I don't know if I have to buy the 7.4 and the upgrade (don't know if it's free yet) or if the upgrade can work as a complete new program..

I just got my PT 7.4 M-Powered box and got to download the upgrade to 8 for free. Just register PT and you get an e-mail with the code to download it.

I've heard that the DAE isn't as good in academic versions, this is coming from reputable sources. I personally don't know; i used to use academic 7.3, then i got a free upgrade to regular 7.4. I can't tell an audible difference. When i would take my mixes from home to HD systems they would sound much better though. It might be different now with PT8.

Hmm

I started a thead over at the DUC, and Digi replied saying PT8 Academic should be the exact same as non-Academic. But of course, that's just digi.

From Digi: "With the current versions there should be no differences between Academic and the standard version other than the price."

I'm still a bit worried. I'll gladly pay $100 more if the program "sounds" better.

I wonder if the DAE is any different between M-Powered and LE. Maybe that's what that dude at Sweetwater meant.

wow... this whole thread is so timely for me, as i've just been informed that the Mbox inputs are crap and that i really need to upgrade if i plan on getting tracks mixed professionally. i've been naive this whole time, thinking that the hardware coming to the line in were critical, not giving much consideration to the hardware in the magic box (that whats it stands for right? :p ) might suck ass.

anyways, everyone on this thread seems to agree that the Profire 2626 is a great piece, better than the 003 right? what about the Profire 610? Would that unit have the same quality, "pro" hardware and converters, just less inputs?

I wanted to significantly upgrade my core recording system (but stay in protools, i really dont wanna have to learn another DAW)... could i get the Profire 610 and ProTools 8 and be good to go? Would I have to buy M-Powered ProTools or can i upgrade my 7.3 to 8 and it would still work with the ProFire hardware?

Sorry if these sound like noob questions, but i was naive enough to believe that Digi hardware was "pro".

Their HD converter boxes can be considered pro, but their LE offerings are pure crap. They're just overpriced dongles.

I would maintain to keep the mbox and run a good interface via the SPDIF connection. RME is about the lowest I would go, quality-wise, if I was trying to go for a professional sound. M-audio gear doesn't inspire me with confidence. Though my mind does take me back to that converter shoot out between a Lynx Aurora and Behringer ADA8000 on gearslutz, where more people actually liked the sound of the Behringer unit! They're insanely cheap and give 8 ins, though I'm not sure if they connect via SPDIF. Might need ADAT for em. They're certainly worth a shot. Their pres suck, but the conversion seems to fool most, so all you need to do is run a good channel strip into it and you're dandy.

its just a damn sticker on the box
that's the only difference
Well, to be fair, the academic version in version 7 was certainly different.

Their HD converter boxes can be considered pro, but their LE offerings are pure crap. They're just overpriced dongles.

I would maintain to keep the mbox and run a good interface via the SPDIF connection. RME is about the lowest I would go, quality-wise, if I was trying to go for a professional sound. M-audio gear doesn't inspire me with confidence. Though my mind does take me back to that converter shoot out between a Lynx Aurora and Behringer ADA8000 on gearslutz, where more people actually liked the sound of the Behringer unit! They're insanely cheap and give 8 ins, though I'm not sure if they connect via SPDIF. Might need ADAT for em. They're certainly worth a shot. Their pres suck, but the conversion seems to fool most, so all you need to do is run a good channel strip into it and you're dandy.
Ha! I'm going to have to look into those Behringer boxes I suppose.

wow... this whole thread is so timely for me, as i've just been informed that the Mbox inputs are crap and that i really need to upgrade if i plan on getting tracks mixed professionally. i've been naive this whole time, thinking that the hardware coming to the line in were critical, not giving much consideration to the hardware in the magic box (that whats it stands for right? :p ) might suck ass.

I think M stands for music, but yes they do suck

anyways, everyone on this thread seems to agree that the Profire 2626 is a great piece, better than the 003 right? what about the Profire 610? Would that unit have the same quality, "pro" hardware and converters, just less inputs?

The Profire hardware is definitely a better value than the 003, price vs performance.
The 610 requires PT 8, its the same as the 2626 but fewer I/O.

I wanted to significantly upgrade my core recording system (but stay in protools, i really dont wanna have to learn another DAW)... could i get the Profire 610 and ProTools 8 and be good to go? Would I have to buy M-Powered ProTools or can i upgrade my 7.3 to 8 and it would still work with the ProFire hardware?

Unfortunately You can't upgrade from 7.3 LE to 8 M-Powered. You'll have to get the boxed version of 8 M-Powered.

Sorry if these sound like noob questions, but i was naive enough to believe that Digi hardware was "pro".

003 VS Profire 2626
003: 18 inputs and outputs + monitor outs
2626: 26 inputs and outputs
003: No standalone mode
2626: works as standalone preamp or AD/DA converter
003: 4 preamps (003+ has 8)
2626: 8 preamps
003: 2 headphone outputs
2626: 2 headphone outputs
003: 4 DI inputs (same as preamps)
2626: 2 DI inputs (inputs 1-2, front panel TS jacks)
003: dedicated monitor output with analog volume control
2626: assignable digital monitor control
003: No pads on preamps
2626: -20dB pads on preams
003: Pro Tools LE 8 included
2626: Pro Tools M-Powered sold separately
003: 2 U rack
2626: 1 U rack
003: Mono and mute buttons front panel
2626: No mono or mute buttons
003: +48V switchable 2x2
2626: +48V switchable 2x4
003: Line inputs switchable +4/-10
2626: not switchable
003: wordclock ports
2626: wordclock ports
003: No direct monitoring
2626: advanced direct monitoring options
003: No WDM driver
2626: WDM, CoreAudio, ASIO, and DAE drivers
003: 3 MIDI ports (1 in, 2 out)
2626: 2 MIDI Ports
003: $1,549.99CDN (includes software)
2626: $874.99 + $299.99 (M-Powererd boxed) = $1174.98

You guys can work out what's worth the extra $375 for you.

Well, to be fair, the academic version in version 7 was certainly different.
You might be thinking of the Educational version.
Academic is just a discounted version for students and teachers.