estimated cost on starting up with protools hd 1

Both of those in the US have a total MSRP of around 12K...Take at least 20% off I'd say to get around store price, so it'd be under 10K...I'm assuming Joey could use the pres from the RME he currently uses into the 192, but I don't enough about them to say.

Doesn't seem that bad IMO to go this route for what he does.

I was looking on ebay last week and seen...

Hd1 core card used for like 1200-1500

Then the 192 was usually like around 2000-2300

So for 3200.00 you could have the basic setup. From what Ive read though you also need something to control your monitors like a Mackie big knob. Also you would need your own mic pre's as stated in post above. Thats about as much info as ive gathered...

I must ask is there any other things you need for the 192 to run 16 channels that does not come with it?

Also is there anything else you may need that does not come with the 192 and hd1 core card (like monitor control) that you would need to buy that I'm over looking?

i paid about $14.5K i think for my HD3 Accel cards, and $5.5K for my 192 w/ extra analog input card... so $20K. Can't remember what i paid for the Digidesign MIDI i/o, but it was definitely under $500. i also decided not get the Digi Sync I/O and instead went with the Apogee Big Ben, which was around $2.5K. so all totaled and incl. the Mogami d-sub break-out cables for the 192 i spent around $25K to set up a complete HD3 Accel system.

all.jpg

i didn't cut any corners though.. i bought new, and decked it out.

Well, like James did is probally one of the best things to do. Just go full-out, invest in the best you can get, and you have a setup that will last for years.....
I still got first some pre-amps to buy I really want to have...after that I probally start looking into investing into a PT setup..

I've got to say that it is sort of mind boggling that everyone balks at the cost of HD for a commercial studio. In the not so distant past you had to spend at least that much on a console to be considered legit. Not to mention that it is pretty easy to break $10k on a serious vocal path. The fact that the market has expanded astronomically downward doesn't change the fact that there is legitimate demand for mid---> high end systems.
Besides, the fact everyone seems to forget is that Nuendo has a $2300 retail price so....Nuendo and 16 channels of RME i/o would retail for around $7k ($5.5k street). Still cheaper but you don't get ubiquity, zero latency or the benefit of processing cards.

I've got to say that it is sort of mind boggling that everyone balks at the cost of HD for a commercial studio. In the not so distant past you had to spend at least that much on a console to be considered legit. Not to mention that it is pretty easy to break $10k on a serious vocal path. The fact that the market has expanded astronomically downward doesn't change the fact that there is legitimate demand for mid---> high end systems.
Besides, the fact everyone seems to forget is that Nuendo has a $2300 retail price so....Nuendo and 16 channels of RME i/o would retail for around $7k ($5.5k street). Still cheaper but you don't get ubiquity, zero latency or the benefit of processing cards.

well spoken

shit, you'd be lucky as all hell to get a pro-level console, even a 16-channel, for anywhere near $20k. the new 16-channel API's run something like 60k...then add the cost of a tape deck, outboard gear, etc. and shit gets up there QUICK

Good points...

I think people around here forget about Nuendo being so expensive because many people have a cracked version...:erk: