pulling the trigger on protools hd 2

Sounds like your setup is going to look super similar to mine so i'll give you an example of what I have
192 with no add-on cards, so 8 analog in 8 out.
Api 3124 for basically everything, only need more when drum tracking
Sytek mpx-4aii for another 4 channels of quality pre's, these are super clean, just a straight-up preamp

So I'll send those 8 channels to the analog inputs of the 192.

then I have an Octopre for 8 shitty channels. It has the a/d card in it, so I send lightpipe from that into the ADAT input on the 192. with this setup I can record 16 channels.... eventually the idea is to get 8 more high end pre's and ditch the Octopre...

what are you using as monitor controller?

Looks like jvals gonna be able to help you out.

Behringer ADA8000 for trigs LOLZ

Lasse seems to like the Focusrite Octopre over the RME's pre's (I own a Fireface 800 too, and I have zero complaints about the pre's). It's really a judgement call. If you wanna dig into the bank account, drop $6000-8000 on a used Crane Song Spider and you'll be set for life.

I think you have to use a d-sub snake from your output port, to get the output XLR's

This is correct, that's where the monitoring solution comes in. It's a DB25 snake that breaks out into the 8 output channels, which plug into your monitor controller, headphone amp, reamp box, etc. Then you just use the routing in PT to send the signals wherever you need them to go.

Sounds like your setup is going to look super similar to mine so i'll give you an example of what I have
192 with no add-on cards, so 8 analog in 8 out.
Api 3124 for basically everything, only need more when drum tracking
Sytek mpx-4aii for another 4 channels of quality pre's, these are super clean, just a straight-up preamp

So I'll send those 8 channels to the analog inputs of the 192.

then I have an Octopre for 8 shitty channels. It has the a/d card in it, so I send lightpipe from that into the ADAT input on the 192. with this setup I can record 16 channels.... eventually the idea is to get 8 more high end pre's and ditch the Octopre...

what are you using as monitor controller?

Never heard of Sytek, but yeah, that sounds like a perfect setup as far as both value and performance goes! :kickass: And I'm pretty certain that the 512c preamps are just the 312 preamps in the 500-series module form factor

Yeah, I seem to remember reading it somewhere reputable (and the API website says they use the same op-amp) - but also, just from a logical perspective, it would seem a strange marketing choice to offer two different models of preamps but only make each available in one of two very different (and incompatible) configurations...

Yes, the 512 is a 312 in a 500 series format. The Sytek is a very well regarded 4 channel pre kinda in the vein of FMR RNP (around 250 a channel).

im going to have to use the 192 because its part of the deal that im even able to afford pt hd

so yeah, using the 192 for that (shit how will i run my d/a?)

i need some lousey pre's for the triggers, and 8 nice ones for cymz

yo Joey, you don't actually need pres for the triggers - one day I was like hmm I want to dump these shitty pres I only use for triggers... I wonder if I can just plug 'em in to the interface straight up.

I did have to build some XLR to 1/4 adapters to fit on the end of my snake but it works like a dream, and I sold my mixer full of shit pres. good times.

ps. you really do 8 tracks of overheads/cymbals? I usually do 5 and I thought that was a lot. I could see 6 with a stereo room.... 8 with the drummer's shoulder mic setup maybe? lol

[UEAK]Clowd;8720687 said:
yo Joey, you don't actually need pres for the triggers - one day I was like hmm I want to dump these shitty pres I only use for triggers... I wonder if I can just plug 'em in to the interface straight up.

I did have to build some XLR to 1/4 adapters to fit on the end of my snake but it works like a dream, and I sold my mixer full of shit pres. good times.

ps. you really do 8 tracks of overheads/cymbals? I usually do 5 and I thought that was a lot. I could see 6 with a stereo room.... 8 with the drummer's shoulder mic setup maybe? lol

i said 8 because you wont find any 5 channel preamps anywhere, anyways

[UEAK]Clowd;8720687 said:

I have problems with the triggers not picking up the softer hits if I don't plug them into pres.