ProTools HD running on a laptop via LightPeak (Native HD?)

Ok, just to clear things up, I thought I'd gather the rumors that have been spread over many different threads here. It all started with the Sweetwater "leak" mentioning ProTools HD Native, and recently crillemannen posted this link on the new MBox thread: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...t-hd-i-o-connected-laptop-via-light-peak.html

Furthermore, I just found this video from the same convention, which demonstrates ProTools HD (notice the little things such as the input monitor button that make it obvious it's HD and not LE) running on the laptop that's hooked to an 192 I/O via LightPeak: http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid40673551001?bclid=111592568001&bctid=609529030001

This means they're already running HD without the DSP cards, and since it's being developed by Avid and Intel, it has to be legit. What this means is still uncertain, but from what it looks like Avid will be offering a way to run HD without the DSP cards, but it still requires their hardware. Now, if the 192 I/O can be connected to the computer with LightPeak (which is still far away from becoming a standard port in computers), maybe Avid will be offering other, more limited interfaces that can be used with FW or USB, too? I'm thinking the 003 replacement line here. Maybe they will be continuing to provide the LE and M-Powered versions as they are, and offer the HD Native with a much higher price tag?

Curious times, and I gotta admit I'm pretty excited to see if some form of native HD will finally become reality.

And yeah, I just specced a few different setups to get a better view of my choices, and if I was going the HD route now and wanted to buy everything new, I'd end up spending 9000 euros for two PCIe cards I don't actually want, considering the power of modern CPU's. That's ridiculous.

Yeah. Fuck that for a game of dickbags.

I've been using PT:MP for the past week or so. It's working quite well for me, but I'd like the extra features of HD. Like proper input monitoring for instance.

Avid has recently announced a software-only version of their DS software, removing all hardware restrictions: http://www.avid.com/US/press-room/Avid-Introduces-Software-Only-Version-of-Avid-DS

Sounds promising!

'' Avid DS 10.5 software will be available beginning October 21, 2010. Pricing begins at $6995 USD for educational institutions and $9995 USD for professional licenses and each comes standard with a copy of Media Composer® 5 software. ''

lol

so...let me see if im getting this right.

you will be able to use Full Pro Toos HD with any interface for 10k?

i'm sure there will be some sort of hardware that will be required

if nothing else, avid's requirement of DSP cards/hardware interfaces is what has kept their shit from being pirated to hell and back

ahh...i didn't even pay attention to him asking about that other software

what i meant, though, is that i'd be willing to bet that future versions of PTHD will still have some sort of hardware requirement, even if all the processing is being done native

I read today that Dell, Acer and HP don't want to implement lightpeak but they want usb 3.0 (actually)....so Avid chose probably the worst technology for his native products...

I read today that Dell, Acer and HP don't want to implement lightpeak but they want usb 3.0 (actually)....so Avid chose probably the worst technology for his native products...

For all we know, it could be just a demonstration. It is not said Avid will go Lightpeak for their production models. IMHO, the important thing here is HD running without the DSP cards :)

pretty cool technology hey? I'm excited for this....

About the HD native thing...

I've heard from people I actually know personally that PT9 is already in beta testing and that's it's going to be a complete NATIVE version, meaning you don't need any interface at all...

Having said that, that's version 9.....except to see at least an 8.5 in between, so I'm expecting it to be at least a year away.....Unless Avide feels like it needs to announce to the world that they are serious about PT again.

pretty cool technology hey? I'm excited for this....

About the HD native thing...

I've heard from people I actually know personally that PT9 is already in beta testing and that's it's going to be a complete NATIVE version, meaning you don't need any interface at all...

Having said that, that's version 9.....except to see at least an 8.5 in between, so I'm expecting it to be at least a year away.....Unless Avide feels like it needs to announce to the world that they are serious about PT again.

Sounds promising :) The version history is a bit strange, though. 7.0 came out in 2005, 7.1 the same year, 7.2 and 7.3 in 2006 and 7.4 in 2007. PT8 came out in 2008 and we just now got 8.1, and that's not even out for LE/MP yet.