Let´s talk HD Native for a sec

AHChris

Jun 23, 2009
Bavaria
Hey guys!

Since my Echo Audiofires drive me fucking crazy I want to update my interface/converters this year. I have two options:

1. Go with a RME RayDAT or even MADI card and SSL Alpha Link converters. This would give me 24 I/Os in good quality.

2. Go with Pro Tools HD Native and a 16x16 analog interface. This would give me only 16 I/Os and I would have to patch around more...

I´m really stuck here because the converter quality seems to be pretty equal, the price difference is not that huge (would need a upgrade to Pro Tools 10 and Complete Production Toolkit for the RME/SSL option), plus I like the idea to go HD because of my rather bad experiences with 3rd party interfaces.

On the other hand: Avid changes their product lineup very fast these days. Do you guys think HD Native has a future? I don´t wanna see it discontinued in 3 years :err:

Thank you for your help :)

I'm in the same situation...I mean, I'm bouncing between the 2 options very often....HD Native seems pretty awesome in terms of latencies and integration with PT..but the price is very huge in my opinion.
RME+SSL is also very nice, a little cheaper, but in my opinion with PT 10 we have way more options and power. I tried PT 10 and I could record at 32 samples with my profire (Max 128 samples with PT 8) so latency is not a problem anymore, expecially with RME cards.

Well the question you need to ask yourself is that will be you be needing the FEW extra features Hd native gives you vs Pt Native?

I just recently bought an SSL alphalink. Super happy with the quality using it on Pt9. As long as you don't need more than 32 i/o i can't see any use of Pt Hd Native. What extra do you get except more i/o? VCA faders?

And you get quality converters, 24 i/o for less then half the price of HD native. Seems pretty easy decision to me :)

Yeah you guys are probably right... plus you can update to HD pretty easily with the SSL converters via the Delta Link. I think I´ll buy the Alpha Link :)

Yeah you guys are probably right... plus you can update to HD pretty easily with the SSL converters via the Delta Link. I think I´ll buy the Alpha Link :)

Upgrade to HD TDM, yes off course. HDX? Not sure
If you don't need HD native, you definitively don't need HD TDM/HDX (HD TDM owner here).