would someone once and for all explain to me ProTools HD?

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
alright, im sorry for the noob question but im beyond the point of confusion here...

let's say i want to get a proper setup going, right?

do i have to get an avid HD interface for PTHD to work?
or can i use it with, let's say, a DUET or an RME fireface?

and if it only works with avid HD interfaces, what the hell is the ACTUALL differance between them? (HM OMNI, HD I/O, HD MADI etc...)

which model do AE's actually use? and is it really that much better than regular pro tools? (which can now run on any interface :Smokin: )

im considering if i should get a Fireface ----> PT
or AVID HD interface ----> PTHD

and if it's really worth the probably huge price defference?

^^^ Probably the best advice.

But you don't HAVE to have an AVID interface. You can get the lynx auroras or various apogee's with HD cards and run it that way.

Is there any specific reason you want HD? What type of computer do you have? How many inputs do you need?

thanks bro

i guess 16 inputs would be best if i want to track drums properly.
after checking avid HD prices (which are ridiculous), i think i might go after a Fireface 800

what's the difference between an HD card and one that's not? and do you have any better ideas for 16X input interfaces?

AVID Hd 16 analogue I/O 16 channels of conversion, with D-sub connectors. + You'll need to get a monitor controller to go with it.
HD-Omni, is kind of their new top of the line all in one interface, with 8 channels I/O and with 4(?) mic-pres.

HD isn't obsolete, i wont pay 10 grand for the HD cards but it is still tempting to get HD3 on the used market. There are still plugins that rock that are TDM-exclusive, like Crane Song phoenix, Revibe etc.

But it is still for the pro market, and if you are fully booked and charge atleast 500-1000$/day then that kind of money isn't that much really.

"HD" is just what Digi/Avid called their system with processing cards to handle audio (rather than native). Even now there is some value to this including extremely low latency, high possible i/o and high (predictable) track count but every year native gets a little closer.
If you want pro level conversion w/o getting into the HD thing (and potentially saving some money) it's worth looking a Lynx aurora with the FW card as well Apogee's symphony (mac only) or the SSL alpha link plus a MADI card. All of that said, the FF800 is a solid unit.

The only real advantages in a small format studio for a HD system is if you want to use really latency heavy plugins like autotune or some noise reduction plugins at zero latency TDM plugins. For example autotune 7 native creates 2660 samples latency, with TDM there is none.