digidesign's protools hd nov / dec upgrade special

Regarding seeing the waveform when moving a region, the user Shan on the DUC solved it. It may be Windows only though.

nah, he did it with the scroll wheel (every tick the scroll wheel makes is like a millisecond movement) which actually doesnt solve the problem at all, just moves the wave form in very small incriments, rappidly

if i were to zoom in like wild, im sure it'd be whack.

doesnt matter too much, i suppose

is there a way to stop it from finding auto transients
or at least removing all of the ones it found?

thanks for all the info thus far, guys! really exciting...

i just ordered my mac pro
8 core
8 gig ram
1 terabyte hd

Make sure you have all your VSTi on a different HD then the OSX and protools.
Same goes for tracking. It is better to track on an different HD then the OS and the sequenzer is....
But I think you know that all...

really? the waveform dissapears? thats terrible...

You can just grab right at the transient (using this as your reference point) and as you move your mouse you'll see a line in the timeline ruler showing where your selection is gonna be when you drop it. Not quite as convenient as seeing the waveform but still pretty simple in my book.

Other than that you can just do small nudges with the + & - key's until the waveform is sitting where you want it.

i mean like, when i go to warp a vocal take to quantize it on time, is it going to have like 3 or 4 random tabs there? i dont want any.

but yeah, its probably simple....

When you enable elastic audio it doesn't automatically put markers down, it just puts little grey lines on all the transients. You click on those lines to make them into a marker, or you can just put your own markers down by control clicking.

Make sure you have all your VSTi on a different HD then the OSX and protools.
Same goes for tracking. It is better to track on an different HD then the OS and the sequenzer is....
But I think you know that all...

Wait what??

Your Vsti are not supposed to be on the same drive as your OS?

I know your not supposed to use your OS hard drive to record on with protools but Ive never heard about having Vsti on a separate drive as well. Have I been living under a rock or is this just wrong? I do use windows though but i cant imagine OSX being that different.

Wait what??

Your Vsti are not supposed to be on the same drive as your OS?

I know your not supposed to use your OS hard drive to record on with protools but Ive never heard about having Vsti on a separate drive as well. Have I been living under a rock or is this just wrong? I do use windows though but i cant imagine OSX being that different.

he means the large sample libraries for virtual instruments.

System
Audio
Sample library
Backup

ultimate setup:
raid 10 for OS
raid 10 for Audio
raid 1 for samples
an external backup drive that stays entirely unplugged from everything including the mains except when actually backing up.

with all that you'd be pretty much set to take on anything, but good luck finding a mainboard that'd handle 10 drives in effectively 5 seperate RAID setups without bankrupting yourself

id avoid elastic audio on the drums.
Beat detective sounds WAY better.

For the most part I agree, but when thinking about it more... for someone who's replacing all the drums I think it's the way to go. EA on cymbals is no worse than the cutting / BD method, they both have artifacts.

ultimate setup:
raid 10 for OS
raid 10 for Audio
raid 1 for samples
an external backup drive that stays entirely unplugged from everything including the mains except when actually backing up.

with all that you'd be pretty much set to take on anything, but good luck finding a mainboard that'd handle 10 drives in effectively 5 seperate RAID setups without bankrupting yourself

sounds overkill... and to my knowledge PT doesn't support RAID. could be wrong.

raid has been a pretty common technology in studios over the last decade (or more?), but i think drives are getting so huge and so fast that it's becoming less and less necessary for our needs

For the most part I agree, but when thinking about it more... for someone who's replacing all the drums I think it's the way to go. EA on cymbals is no worse than the cutting / BD method, they both have artifacts.

i guess..... but it totally fucks the phase relationship on the drums.

because its time stretched. the further its moved the worse it gets

They are grouped though. If you draw a vertical line anywhere through the drum tracks, after you stretch them all that vertical line is still gonna pass through all the same points. Everything is strethed together, there is no way you will have phase issues. Sure it sounds shitty if you stretch too much but that's not because of phase...

Pardon the paint but look...
phase.JPG

The bottom stretched one is still just as in phase as the top one isn't it? Maybe I'm totally wrong and missing a detail but it seems to me like it would be fine... There are a lot of guys using EA for drums with no issues.