digidesign's protools hd nov / dec upgrade special

Maybe this is just false advertising for the video, but from groove3.com:

"Kenny Gioia has done it again! This time Kenny focuses on Pro Tools 7.4’s incredible Elastic Time feature. You'll be amazed by how much you can bend and twist audio with no weird sounding artifacts when correctly using Elastic Time. Kenny shows you how on multi-tracked drums, bass, guitars, vocals, and more!"

He does make a lot of money making these videos; he's not going to say " elastic audio; its not as good as beat detective, but heres how to use it"

I still remember being here with James trying to ward off certain people from using EA because we had both learned the hard way. Guess it takes the hard way for it to sink in :D

In theory EA was so great. Made the drum editing almost childlike. In practice it sounded like blargh.

Also I have a feeling joey will be riding the 'Tab to Transient' and manual cutting. Beat Detective is more of a batch process, and you get finer control doing it manually.

I think for someone who's mostly doing simple rock/pop drums, straight 4/4 with hardly any fills, EA probably sounds fine. But yes it can get messy dealing with busy technical stuff... which sucks because you're right, it is so easy.

I think for someone who's mostly doing simple rock/pop drums, straight 4/4 with hardly any fills, EA probably sounds fine. But yes it can get messy dealing with busy technical stuff... which sucks because you're right, it is so easy.

for that matter, one pass with BD would probably nail the entire song perfect first try:lol:

for that matter, one pass with BD would probably nail the entire song perfect first try:lol:

true. I actually used to work at a bigger studio where the Jonas Brothers tracked their second album. The session drummer was so good that the producer would select the entire song, separate, conform, take a 5 minute break while it was doing the fades then come back and start tracking guitars. didn't even check the drum tracks once, i watched the screen and hardly anything moved... must be nice working with that on a regular basis.

true. I actually used to work at a bigger studio where the Jonas Brothers tracked their second album. The session drummer was so good that the producer would select the entire song, separate, conform, take a 5 minute break while it was doing the fades then come back and start tracking guitars. didn't even check the drum tracks once, i watched the screen and hardly anything moved... must be nice working with that on a regular basis.

i'm going to be on this level in 5 years

screw this shit

yep
my drummer is that good.
select whole song,
seperate,
check the trigger pints real quick
conform 80 % ignore within 15 -20 % make tea, smoke ciggarette. done

Personally I only tend to do beat detective for metal drummers as modern metal is mostly 100% to the grid these days.

Most rock drummers I've worked with can play pretty well so I'd probably only use BD if the drumming sounded out of time.

If the drummer is good and has good feel then there's no reason to BD them to the grid imo. Obviously you dont have to go 100% to the grid, but if it sounds good then I'd rather just leave it instead of spending time on BD'ing that doesn't need to be done.

Also I have a feeling joey will be riding the 'Tab to Transient' and manual cutting. Beat Detective is more of a batch process, and you get finer control doing it manually.

Tab to transient is the easiest, quickest, and most artifact free way to edit drums once you get a keyboard with programmable macros:) (logitech g11)

I dont even have to listen to the track while i'm making my cuts and quantizing. It's seriously just 100% visual and auto pilot for me at this point. The only time i listen is after i "fill in gaps and crossfade" all the cut up and quantized drum regions for the entire song via beat detective. While i'm listening, all i do is slide back some crossfades here and there, and if there are any artifacts/gaps that are too large i either stretch the short regions with Waves Time Shifter via the TCE tool or i copy and paste a section from somewhere else in the song(when it is possible).

Just wondering, if the drummer is in fact that good, why would you BD at all? I've worked with a guy like that twice and honestly just did about 1 punch per song and called it a day.

tidy up double bass, and fills; it should ignore everything else