estimated cost on starting up with protools hd 1

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
does anyone have an estimated cost on everything you'd need to buy a protools hd 1 system?

lets assume the computer is already there, and the pre's will be purchased seperately

from what i understand, you need some sort of digidesign hardware (i/o??)
a core card (pci express)

and the software its self

i need to be able to record 16 things at once, and i need to have flexible output routing (i usually have all of my outputs already hooked up to various shit in my studio, which eliminates a need for a patchbay or unplugging/plugging stuff all the time).

im a protools newb, so i dont know how routing really works (i'd invest in the time to learn it though), but i will need to be able to have seperate headphone mixes to route throughout my house. in nuendo this is called "control room", and i have "locations" setup within it. i just choose where i want to send my mix and my click track for playback before i record.

also, anyone REALLY know the pros and cons of protools mac vs protools windows?

i bring this up because i am beginning to get really big projects that deal with bigger companies and labels, and they assume i use protools, and sometimes request protools specific things that i simply can't supply. after being professional in this business for this long, i can't believe i've survived without protools.

pm lasse about that, also man i don't think you should switch your work flow is already off the chain find away around the protools hype :) but if you have too then ah well, i think that is something that you would call sweetwater about or someone like that

Look it up on Ebay. YOu could probably get an HD 1 core system for about 2500$. Then you need some hardware like DIGIs 96k cards (one of those has 16/2 in/outs) I know peaople keeps on bashing DIGIs own hardware but its still a step up from DIGI 003.

And if you have like 5000$ to spend buy an HD 2 system with a lynx converters.
Some times you get some extra plugins if you just keep an eye out.
Have been seeing HD 1/2 systems with Revibe (excellent reverb), Drumrehab, TL space and those Phoenix plugins (wich are super)

CHeers

HD2 seems pointless, with HD1 you get 32 simultaneous i/o and up to 96 simultaneous tracks of audio; if you needed more than that (which I can't even wrap my mind around), then I'm sure some could be bounced down easily enough, and getting another card for extra TDM processing power seems pointless when you can run all your plugins as RTAS (native) and have no trouble handling it with any modern CPU! And definitely go for the 192 i/o, the converters are not something you'd wanna skimp on, but I really don't see anything better than that (Lynx, Apogee, etc.) as being necessary for metal/rock/etc.; the only place it'd make a noticeable difference IMO is super-acoustic stuff like classical ensembles and the like!

Peep this for more: http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/pro-tools/pthd.php

HD2 seems pointless, with HD1 you get 32 simultaneous i/o and up to 96 simultaneous tracks of audio; if you needed more than that (which I can't even wrap my mind around), then I'm sure some could be bounced down easily enough, and getting another card for extra TDM processing power seems pointless when you can run all your plugins as RTAS (native) and have no trouble handling it with any modern CPU! And definitely go for the 192 i/o, the converters are not something you'd wanna skimp on, but I really don't see anything better than that (Lynx, Apogee, etc.) as being necessary for metal/rock/etc.; the only place it'd make a noticeable difference IMO is super-acoustic stuff like classical ensembles and the like!

Peep this for more: http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/pro-tools/pthd.php

i've already looked there and no one wants to put down cold hard prices, its all retail or call for more info

plus im kind of looking at a group of things here. i can't really go to sweetwater, put a buntch of stuff in my cart and see the final price, cuz its all call for price haha

Everything PT is modular, and the vendors can only sell in their "territory", that's why you won't find any prices. They'll want to talk to you about your specific needs.

I was quoted $3500 for a new HD1 setup (you can find them used on ebay even cheaper). The package includes a Core card, software, and digilink, and manual only. You'll also want a digi192 (around 4k new, 2k used) unless you plan on using 3rd party converters. I've been told by a few people that the digi96i/o sounds worse than the digi192.

I will be using my Aroura 16 with LT-HD card as my interface so I won't be buying a 192. Aroura 16 costs less than digi192 and has 16 in analog + 16 out analog + 16 in digital + 16 out digital, while the digi is 8 analog in + 8 digi in + 8 analog out. This is the most cost effective solution for me since I need 16 analog inputs. I've already been using the Aroura without PT and the sound is just tits.

With good deals you can buy a 96i/o and a core card for about 1500$. Personally I found an hd1 system for 1200€ ca. So you can find good cheap pieces of gear.

I don't know much about protools hd hardware but you can setup headphones mixes pretty easy in protools. You can have a separate headphone mix for each person or room, also you can monitor there headphone mix to hear what they are hearing if you need.

Kenny Gioia has made some great protools tutorials that show all this kind of stuff like headphone mixes, and will teach you right up to the advanced stuff. You can check them out at this site....

http://www.groove3.com/str/pro-tools-training/

Oh and Joey I'm sure you will love elastic audio for quantizing things like vocals and bass drums ext..... I'm actually using elastic audio over beat detective now for quantizing drums.

Oh and Joey I'm sure you will love elastic audio for quantizing things like vocals and bass drums ext..... I'm actually using elastic audio over beat detective now for quantizing drums.

I agree with you that there are many instances where Elastic Audio is a really nice tool, but I actually still prefer Beat Detective for drums. On occasion there's a fill or some little detail that I find Elastic Audio works better on, so I will use it instead, but otherwise...
Which setting do you use for working on drums? "Rhythmic" is the obvious choice, but it seems like the cymbals kind of die in a weird way sometimes...but maybe this is because I didn't mess with the decay knob enough?

Also, Joey, in going the Sweetwater route (which a lot of people do) when it comes to PT, buying from there you will have to pay tax since it's in IN...And, well, I'm not a Sweetwater fan, I'll never take my business there again after the crap I went through with them locally (I used to live about 5 minutes from their old place)...So IMO you've done no wrong NOT making the call, lol.

hit me up on AIM joey, i'll tell you all you need to know... i aided Lasse in his transition and he's very happy with the switch. my AIM SN is in my profile, and i have your SN stored in my AIM client already.

+1 on both getting the 192 converters over the 96 and looking at the used market...with all of the commercial facilities that have been tanking lately, it probably wouldn't be too hard to find a core card and a couple of 192 i/o's for less than 1/2 the new price

I just dont see why they cant just let you use what you use??
I mean its not like your work is horrible,
and second?? Try to find a company to pay for the PT and the computer AND pay you for having to learn PT
Your busy as hell man,, you dont really have time to sit and relearn key commands n shit
Tell them PT is just a name :)

I just dont see why they cant just let you use what you use??
I mean its not like your work is horrible,
and second?? Try to find a company to pay for the PT and the computer AND pay you for having to learn PT
Your busy as hell man,, you dont really have time to sit and relearn key commands n shit
Tell them PT is just a name :)

i think in the ideal world this would work, emphasis on ideal lol