What is the most cost efficient way for me to get into ProTools HD?

Here is another sale on eBay for an HD rig...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Tools-HD-Tu...in_0?hash=item35a3d02016&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I would almost consider getting this and then selling the 96, picking up a 192 or an aurora and then looking for some extra accel cards for more TDM power.

That's a decent deal but be aware that rig is obsolete past Pro Tools 8.0.1

No Snow Leopard
End of support for PPC chips
End of support for PCI cards.

That's why they're getting rid of it.

They fixed the scroll thing you know. :)

haha the scroll thing didn't even bother me(i downloaded the unofficial skunk fix immediately), but it was the editing grouped tracks that bothered me. Basically when i group all the drum trax together, tabbing to transient and cutting is ridiculously slow. So slow that it would take about 4 hours to quantize a single song instead of 1 hour.

anyone wanna answer my earlier questions about consoles btw. I'd like to know the deal. are they really necessary anymore?

That's a decent deal but be aware that rig is obsolete past Pro Tools 8.0.1

No Snow Leopard
End of support for PPC chips
End of support for PCI cards.

That's why they're getting rid of it.

Very true. The cost to trade cards is insane. At the studio I interned at I was told they wanted to get new computers, but they had to get new cards and Digi told them the old ones could be traded in for new ones + $7,000. I think Digi is bonkers for that. Even if they went with the MAGMA chasis, it would be $5,000. They were using G5's, but were still on 7.4. I guess as the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

haha the scroll thing didn't even bother me(i downloaded the unofficial skunk fix immediately), but it was the editing grouped tracks that bothered me. Basically when i group all the drum trax together, tabbing to transient and cutting is ridiculously slow. So slow that it would take about 4 hours to quantize a single song instead of 1 hour.

anyone wanna answer my earlier questions about consoles btw. I'd like to know the deal. are they really necessary anymore?

The solution when I had that was to delete databases.
Also clear unused regions every couple edits.

brianhood said:

Not really, it's just preference. If you have a nice SSL console shacked up at your place, you'll probably want everything going into that first, but call me crazy... haha. Otherwise you can get a bunch of preamps in a rack and have their outputs going to the HD interfaces via the line-ins, ADAT or SPDIF.

I just downloaded 8.0.1, trashed all prefs etc etc, cleared all unused regions from my hard drive and generally tweaked everything and now the scrolling is too fast :| haha

A lot of people seem to forget that you can still use all of your computer's available native processing power with RTAS plugs in Pro Tools HD; you aren't just limited to TDM plug-ins. Even an HD1 system with a fast computer will make a good DAW these days, with plenty of processing power and all of the extra PTHD features. You can always expand it later if need be.

More cards are still preferable (especially since the first card is largely eaten up by delay compensation and the PT mixer) but if you have a fast computer (a la Mac Pro or a PC equivalent) you can still run large sessions. In this case it's best to use TDM plugs on aux channels and RTAS plugs as inserts.

For converters, the Lynx Aurora is definitely the best value for the money. A used 192 is nice too, but it has less I/O than the Aurora. Stay away from the 96. I personally have a 192, but if I could go back in time and get the Aurora instead I definitely would.