tonal quality from audio interfaces

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Are the really expensive badass audio interfaces capable of producing such a noticeable difference in audio quality compared to the cheaper ones?

Trying to buy something with at least 8 inputs...have my eye on the Tascam US-2000. Really cant afford anything really fancy right now. Anyone used one of these before or could recommend something between $400-$700 that would have 8 Ins and USB?

Was thinking maybe the Profire 2626 as I hear good things about that as well. I just dont know how these units would compare.

EDIT: scratch the Profire idea...didnt realize it was firewire and I dont have firewire. *sigh*

Fast Track Ultra 8R anyone?

EDIT AGAIN: wow I must really be losing it. This computer does indeed have firewire. Fuck me sideways.....

yeah sorry guys for the newb question. I stumbled across a Profire on ebay for like $550 which seems like a steal, but Im sure the bids will go up.....

yeah sorry guys for the newb question. I stumbled across a Profire on ebay for like $550 which seems like a steal, but Im sure the bids will go up.....

nope, that's what i got mine for. I did a buyitnow on a B-stock from unique squared, shits brand new with a warranty and everything. jump on it.

but don't pay that much for a used one! try and look up uniquesquared and see if they have anymore kickin around.

:)

so the Profire is definitely going to be a nice improvement over my Fast Track Pro? still got a bunch of time before we actually start recording. Gotta finish click tracks and get some stands and just little shit. Searched around for Shure snare/tom mic clamps....$75 FOR 3?!?!?!?! :bah:

:)

so the Profire is definitely going to be a nice improvement over my Fast Track Pro? still got a bunch of time before we actually start recording. Gotta finish click tracks and get some stands and just little shit. Searched around for Shure snare/tom mic clamps....$75 FOR 3?!?!?!?! :bah:

just get stands. clips are so annoying, even when they're good ones. can never have enough mic stands.

...or... if you don't have any 57's (or only one) get the shure drum mic pack. 3 57's, a beta 52a, and three solid drum clips. even though clips suck.

just get stands. clips are so annoying, even when they're good ones. can never have enough mic stands.

...or... if you don't have any 57's (or only one) get the shure drum mic pack. 3 57's, a beta 52a, and three solid drum clips. even though clips suck.

Yep, that's the pack we got. But got em used and only 1 clamp came with. we have a total of 4 57's, 1 Beta52a, 1 SM58, 1 SM58? Beta, and 2 Co2 Condensers.

will my results be that much more noticeable if I go stands vs. clips?

Yep, that's the pack we got. But got em used and only 1 clamp came with. we have a total of 4 57's, 1 Beta52a, 1 SM58, 1 SM58? Beta, and 2 Co2 Condensers.

will my results be that much more noticeable if I go stands vs. clips?

no ofcourse not...it's just much less annoying to set up with stands. clips fall off.

actually some crazy people will say a clip chokes the drum a tiny bit, but... that's very insignificant IMO