Upgrade to Profire 610?

submersed

<B>HTML RULEZ D00D</B>
Sep 29, 2009
www.twitter.com
I'm currently running an M-Audio Mobile Pre USB preamp, I don't record drums, and really only need 2 inputs...I don't have a firewire interface in my PC so I'd also need to buy one of those.

The only thing I really actually record, is guitar (impulse / ampsim) and vocals. My question is, will upgrading to the Profire 610, enhance the quality of my mixdowns (including VSTi sounds) / guitar sound enough to be worth a $350 investment?

Also, if so, what kind of a firewire interface would I need for my PC?

My question is, will upgrading to the Profire 610, enhance the quality of my mixdowns (including VSTi sounds) / guitar sound enough to be worth a $350 investment?

It won't change mixdown/VSTi sounds at all as those never actually pass through your interface other then when monitoring. I would guess the difference in guitar sound would be negligible but i haven't actually used either device.

Buy some plugins or keep the money would be my advice.

The quality of DI guitars will probably improve a fair bit, i've also heard that the 610's outputs are suitable level for reamping so u may not require a reamp box later on..
the mic pre's will also probably be better so all things input should sound better (not blatantly, but subtly yet importantly better).
2c.

It won't change mixdown/VSTi sounds at all as those never actually pass through your interface other then when monitoring. I would guess the difference in guitar sound would be negligible but i haven't actually used either device.

Buy some plugins or keep the money would be my advice.

I was under the impression that having a 24bit interface vs. a 16bit interface would affect the quality of mixdowns, this isn't the case?

The quality of DI guitars will probably improve a fair bit, i've also heard that the 610's outputs are suitable level for reamping so u may not require a reamp box later on..
the mic pre's will also probably be better so all things input should sound better (not blatantly, but subtly yet importantly better).
2c.

I've read that there is less latency while recording with a firewire interface vs. usb, and also that it allows you to work with more tracks, plugins, and vsti's without causing problems. I've noticed when recording, if I run a certain synth vsti more than 3 or 4 times, I start getting a lot of clicking / lag issues. Will having a firewire interface correct this?

I was under the impression that having a 24bit interface vs. a 16bit interface would affect the quality of mixdowns, this isn't the case?

The only time the interface effects the sounds in your project is when you record/monitor. I thought your interface could do 24bit, i would probably upgrade if it only does 16bit.

I've read that there is less latency while recording with a firewire interface vs. usb, and also that it allows you to work with more tracks, plugins, and vsti's without causing problems. I've noticed when recording, if I run a certain synth vsti more than 3 or 4 times, I start getting a lot of clicking / lag issues. Will having a firewire interface correct this?

What people are saying is that firewire could record more tracks at the same time (or be more stable while doing so) then USB. I have no idea. But i do know that for your purpose USB will do more than fine.

The clicking/lag issues are probably CPU related. You could try changing the buffer size (higher) at the cost of more latency. Having a firewire interface would most likely not change anything.

yup... the clicks and glitches are cpu related...
a firewire interface will be able to send more data without a problem as opposed to say a usb interface with 8/16 inputs...
but i didn't mention this since u said ud be using just a guitar and maybe vox.
DI's will sound better if what i've heard around these forums is correct...