Internet Metal Community

Apathy

New Metal Member
Jun 8, 2003
The internet has done an amazing thing in that people can come together and express their opinions and a much wider scale than has ever been available in the past. However, instead of the internet being used as resource to further expand the consciousness of the civilization that established it, an invention that would give a single person the ability to express their opinion to a wide audience, has instead made that one person the first in line at the complaint department.

This is especially prevalent in the Metal community, especially on the internet. All we do is trash each other's opinion on a regular basis. This somehow makes us feel better about ourselves, as if we feel that by insulting one another it converts them to our way of thinking. We are not open anymore. What used to be a progressive and interesting genre of music with possibilities that seemed endless, has become a boring and redundant genre of music that is looked down upon because its "fans" refuse to let their favourite bands develop beyond the sound of their first album. What exactly are we demanding? No experimentation. No room for personal growth. No need to try something original. We want bands, that we don't even belong to, to produce what we want. We have developed an ideology that the bands work for us and that what we dictate is what they should follow. We want our bands to produce the same product over and over and over again because we are selfish. We do not want our bands to be successful commercially, although we want to be. We want to get the best job and make the most money, but we do not want the bands that we are the bosses of to accomplish that same goal. Some of us feel that way.

Others feel differently. Others want their favourite band to be successful, to be big, to be huge. We want our music to be in the conciousness of every day life. We want our music included on MTV. We want some attention also, and we want appreciation. However, when that happens, when a band does attain that position that they are recognized in the music industry as a force, we turn on them. Immediately. We are fairweather fans. We don't hang on to the music we have enjoyed all our life, instead we choose to live in the past. We want success, but we don't want success. We want approval, but we don't want approval. Honestly, we have no idea what we want.

Why do we behave like this? Why do we complain so vehemently when a snare drum makes a "pang" instead of a "snap"? Whoever said a snare drum was supposed to always go "snap" to begin with?

When did we develop rules that bands had to follow? When did we start labelling bands "black", "death", "nu", "speed", "thrash" etc? Labels do not promote growth, label's do nothing but constrict and restrain. Labels do nothing but segregate us, us metal fans. We listen and enjoy the same type of music, but because one person likes "thrash" and another likes "nu", childish name calling must automatically be strewn about by both parties. Such comments as "you hang around at the mall" or "you live in your parents basement" are exchanged consistently yet change nothing. Do we not stand on common ground any longer?

Metal will never flourish until we start taking our music and each other seriously, not selfishly. Metal will not expand until we learn to let our bands, our friends, grow and allow ourselves to grow with them.

By posting this will it change anything? No. Many people who read this will either have not made it this far. The ones who have will probably disregard and continue to behave the way that continues negatively. But hopefully someone reads this who agrees, and hopefully it does make one person consider something differently. A lot of us miss out on so much because we choose to remain with memories instead of creating new ones.

You're right. The next concert I'm going to go to I'll walk around and give everyone a hug.

You know, some people just like to bitch. Whether it be about the amount of potatoes in their clam chowder or how their new Ferrari won't tip the 200mph mark. I'm sure there's all kinds of turmoil and angst over at the Celine Dion board too. Here you have a whole bunch of people from all around the world. You'll never get harmony. You'll always have disagreements but this board is about opinions. Either respect them or ignore them. It's your choice. I do believe that if the disagreeing gets to you this much, you're probably in the wrong place. That's the beauty of being human: we don't all think alike. I think there are a lot of Metallica-bashing threads on here (you made reference to the drum sound) but so what. It'll wash over and then another popular band will put out a shitty album and it'll be their turn.

It's pretty much like Psychonaut says!

Apathy; what you said is all true and knowledgable on a general level, but hey, you can take what you said and obliquely apply it to almost any human society or convention.

Again, like Psychonaut says and the way you admit; we are all fairly free (or at least we believe that) within the hegemony of our society to try to be more 'individual' and see things that we should want to change (and maybe we do), but it really doesn't matter. Jonathan Swift said something along the lines of 'humanity is a creature capable of reason' (as opposed to simply is) and that can be paralleled to the condition we have here. No one person or minority group of free thinkers is going to change the world in a way that defies or solves the things you choose to identify as negative, so what should we do?

When did we develop rules that bands had to follow? When did we start labelling bands "black", "death", "nu", "speed", "thrash" etc? Labels do not promote growth, label's do nothing but constrict and restrain. Labels do nothing but segregate us, us metal fans. We listen and enjoy the same type of music, but because one person likes "thrash" and another likes "nu", childish name calling must automatically be strewn about by both parties. Such comments as "you hang around at the mall" or "you live in your parents basement" are exchanged consistently yet change nothing. Do we not stand on common ground any longer?
Labels don't segregate us, we segregate ourselves. Labels are meant to help. If we want to listen to a band, we only have to look what genre their are part of and that way we'll know if we'll like them or not. It's humankinds nature, everything that's meant to help us we us it the wrong way.

Just my 2 cents (good thread btw \m/)

Yeah, and because not everyone knows the technicalities of music playing, and so can't easily describe a band's sound by telling how it's played, nor by resorting to loads of adjectives. Labels help descriptive purposes where otherwise we'd just be ranting-on for ages and not making things clear. We need labels in fact, because we just can't hear everything there is.

We have developed an ideology that the bands work for us and that what we dictate is what they should follow.

Absolutely.

We want our bands to produce the same product over and over and over again because we are selfish. We do not want our bands to be successful commercially, although we want to be. We want to get the best job and make the most money, but we do not want the bands that we are the bosses of to accomplish that same goal. Some of us feel that way.

Personally, I can't see the attraction of fame. I do, however, believe that there are many bands that deserve to be famous, which are not. If a band goes commercial, while still expanding and producing new ideas, and continues to create music that I enjoy, I don't see why going commercial is a bad thing. I am, however, against bands that decrease the quality of their music, and don't expand, just to gain fame and fortune. I don't like it when people moan about bands like Metallica, yet still appreciate that they used to be good, and wish for them to go back to their original style. They encourage bands to remain at one style throughout their careers. This spoils metal.

We don't hang on to the music we have enjoyed all our life, instead we choose to live in the past. We want success, but we don't want success. We want approval, but we don't want approval. Honestly, we have no idea what we want.

Yes, most definitely.

Why do we behave like this? Why do we complain so vehemently when a snare drum makes a "pang" instead of a "snap"? Whoever said a snare drum was supposed to always go "snap" to begin with?

Once again I agree. It seems that rules have been set in place which prevent progression or expansion. New ideas aren't made because people aren't hungry for them. Instead, they want bands to keep churning out the same music, instead of evolving.

When did we start labelling bands "black", "death", "nu", "speed", "thrash" etc? Labels do not promote growth, label's do nothing but constrict and restrain. Labels do nothing but segregate us, us metal fans. We listen and enjoy the same type of music, but because one person likes "thrash" and another likes "nu", childish name calling must automatically be strewn about by both parties. Such comments as "you hang around at the mall" or "you live in your parents basement" are exchanged consistently yet change nothing. Do we not stand on common ground any longer?

The only reason I ever label music, is to describe it to other people. I dislike 'scenes' in which if you listen to a particular 'genre', you must behave differently. This is silliness. I, personally, don't listen to 'thrash' or 'nu', I listen to bands who make music that I find pleasurable. Bands that create new and interesting ideas, and ones that evolve with every album.

By posting this will it change anything? No. Many people who read this will either have not made it this far. The ones who have will probably disregard and continue to behave the way that continues negatively. But hopefully someone reads this who agrees, and hopefully it does make one person consider something differently. A lot of us miss out on so much because we choose to remain with memories instead of creating new ones.

An excellent end to an intelligent post. I believe that bands and fans alike, should welcome (as well as create) new ideas with open arms, and should be encouraged to expand and develop, instead of sitting in a narrow musical rut.