Internships

cloy26

d00d
Jul 17, 2009
Port St. Lucie, FL
www.myspace.com
So, I am getting ready to transfer to a big(ger) university in Orlando, FL. I am studying business. However, I want to work in the music industry, specifically owning and working my own studio. I currently do small time productions in my bedroom and have been learning a ton in my first year recording. However, I believe an internship as I attend school next fall would benefit me greatly and really give me the knowledge to take my hobby into a profession.

How do I go about landing an internship with a decent studio?

I am friends with a few guys in a few bands who know some owners, so pretty tight and some are a little distant. In or around Orlando there are Chango Studios, Andrew Wade Studios, and James Paul Wisner (produced Underoath's "They're Only Chasing Saftey".

I was talking to the singer in my band, who is in another much bigger band, Versaemerge, and said that he and the other guitarist are very tight with Andrew Wade, but that he wouldn't be interested in my interning because I don't have experience with Pro Tools... Is there any validity to this? I use Reaper right now, but have been debating for quite some time now to purchase a PT rig and am leaning towards getting one if it would be beneficial.

What are some things I should do in trying to get an internship? I won't be a "recording degree student" but I clearly have the passion for it. Am I against the odds as not being in a professional recording school? Any info is appreciated from you guys, especially the ones who have been where I am. :)

hahaha well I don't think you're against the odds because you're not in a pro recording school. I heard a story about this studio in Nashville my buddy was working in... One of the assistants was going through some paperwork and found an application from some kid from Full Sail. The owner said "I wouldn't pay him to clean the toilets." 99% of the time it's more beneficial to have a strong portfolio than have a degree. There's plenty of guys in my area that have degrees but don't seem to know a damn thing about making things sound good.

One of the assistants was going through some paperwork and found an application from some kid from Full Sail. The owner said "I wouldn't pay him to clean the toilets."

Funny you say that. All my bandmates, with the exception of the singer, all attend Fool Sail. We have discussed the pros and cons of the school numerous times and I obviously always end up the minority. Infact, the other guitarist demo'd out a song for another band, he already graduated and is going back for his masters, and I listened to it. I don't mean to be a dick, but it was absolutely terrible. I can't believe he paid 60k for that... But they still don't see it. idk. Whatever.

and I would gladly do drum editing for free in exchange for an opportunity to be in a serious studio.

don't offer to do drum editing... just offer to help in any way. i sure as hell wouldn't let some random guy come in and edit my tracks.
as an intern or assistant your mission is to be invisible but instantly available.

hah. Glad to know you know who they are. I've known the guitarist since high school. He's one of the most sincere and real people I've ever met. They are wrapping up tracking somewhere in LA. Devin told me that the new record is absolutely mind blowing. I really can't wait to hear it.

I doubt they will let me touch anything for a few months. lol. But, my question really is HOW to get in? Like, do I just call or contact them and say I would like to intern? I assume name dropping might be an alright idea?

don't offer to do drum editing... just offer to help in any way. i sure as hell wouldn't let some random guy come in and edit my tracks.
as an intern or assistant your mission is to be invisible but instantly available.

That's actually good advice but what I was getting at is if he says "No I don't need help on anything" just say "I'll do drum editing for free, what do you have to lose?"

I don't know, that's how I got in and it worked pretty good I'd say, lol. :headbang:

Just ask if you can have an internship, that's what I did. Any studio with a decent rep will know the drill when it comes to internships. They pulled me in for an interview and that's how I got it.

Not all studios make you know pro tools (where I interned didn't), but don't expect to get that many recording tasks if you don't because that what most high end studios are using.

You will have to feel out the dynamics part. The only thing that I know is a no no would be to interject any of your opinions or suggestions without asking or in front of a client. FUCKING NEVER DO THAT NO MATTER HOW COMPELLED YOU ARE TO DO SO. :lol:

I'm taking a friend on this summer as an unofficial intern (I don't think I could find him 120 hours of time to do shit so yeah...) should be fun.

Funny you say that. All my bandmates, with the exception of the singer, all attend Fool Sail. We have discussed the pros and cons of the school numerous times and I obviously always end up the minority. Infact, the other guitarist demo'd out a song for another band, he already graduated and is going back for his masters, and I listened to it. I don't mean to be a dick, but it was absolutely terrible. I can't believe he paid 60k for that... But they still don't see it. idk. Whatever.

and I would gladly do drum editing for free in exchange for an opportunity to be in a serious studio.

As with any school you get out what you put in. I cannot tell you how many people I graduated or attended school with were total bums in terms of reading, researching and practicing audio related stuff.

As far as internships go, it's a difficult road. Just gotta make contact with people and be persistent with your inquiries.

I just finished a two-month internship at a live sound/lightning and studio company. It was probably the best two months I've ever spent, and now I'm going back to work there for the summer. I learned tons of useful shit and really enjoyed my time there, even though lots of it was doing the dishes, making coffee and coiling cables. Here's some things you should consider:

1) Give a good impression of yourself. Be polite, social and active. This can be hard as fuck at first when you don't know anyone and feel like you're in everyone's way, but it pays off!
2) If you have a habit of being a bit of a know-it-all (I know I do!), leave it at home. Be humble and willing to learn.
3) Be grateful for everything you get to do, not just the fun stuff. Don't complain about having to clean up the kitchen, do the laundry or stuff like that. It's an intern's job, and if you show your happy to help in any way, you'll most probably earn respect.

Good luck! :)

+1 on attitudes / speaking up.

My boss sometimes says stuff which I know is a ton of bull, but I just gotta keep quiet and agree. He also says stuff which he's told me 100 times before, and it makes me feel like a total n00b - but the fact he's even telling me means that he wants me to learn so he can rely on me when shit goes south.

You know, unless the studio is very large and expensive to record at (like hit factory, or NRG or the like), then washing dishes and manual labor shouldn't be looked down on by anyone. If it's a small enough studio where they can't afford a cleaner or don't have an intern at any given time then NOBODY who works there is above cleaning the shitter or washing dishes.

Seriously don't look down on those jobs, it's a necessity for the studio to operate and it needs to be done, just like the trash, myspace, twitter, facebook, the website updates, soldering cables, tear down and setup of drums, amps, putting away mics, dusting instruments etc...

It all has to be done by someone and it's important, so I wouldn't even consider it "paying dues" when a lot of studios I have seen have engineers who also have to do that stuff from time to time when they don't have an intern.

You know, unless the studio is very large and expensive to record at (like hit factory, or NRG or the like), then washing dishes and manual labor shouldn't be looked down on by anyone. If it's a small enough studio where they can't afford a cleaner or don't have an intern at any given time then NOBODY who works there is above cleaning the shitter or washing dishes.

Seriously don't look down on those jobs, it's a necessity for the studio to operate and it needs to be done, just like the trash, myspace, twitter, facebook, the website updates, soldering cables, tear down and setup of drums, amps, putting away mics, dusting instruments etc...

It all has to be done by someone and it's important, so I wouldn't even consider it "paying dues" when a lot of studios I have seen have engineers who also have to do that stuff from time to time when they don't have an intern.

Huge +1.

Absolutely! I got very lucky. A band I used to be in happened to be recording at this medium to large, well put together, professional studio and the engineer mumbeled that he needed to work less. So my friend piped up and said "Well, i have a friend who...." So he sent me my friends stem tracks and let me mix it. I emailed it back and he thought it had potential so he called me in for an interview.

I've been there for about a year now. Going 2 or 3 nights a week and I usually take the initiative to clean up the cables, do dishes, take the trash out even when he doesn't expect me to. And he appreciates it, so he lets me get some recording in when there's no bands booked. And he's even mentioned that he wants me to start building a portfolio so he's gonna pass along some new clients to me to get me started. Do whatever ya gotta do man, its worth a shot!!

Damn. That sounds like a sick hook up.

A band I was tracking today actually recorded their first demo song with Dave Linsk (Overkill Guitarist) and he lives and records here locally (SKH Studios). My jaw hit the floor. They are actually really tight with him and apparently he's a great guy. I am going to kind of push them into trying to get things hooked up. I'm here for about 4 or so months till I move away to college, so if I could get some experience in now, it would be great.

In my town are a shitload of small studios, but a good friend of mine is building a pretty good reputation in the local hxc scene... I asked him if he needed an internship. I don't have high hopes but you can always ASK.
But I guess even from a small studio (small, not inexperienced) you can learn a lot.

And now a bit off-topic, your singer is Devin right?
If that's so, I love his vocals... and his bass playing in VE :)