Interview with Peter Ellis from Monument

Firewind SKG

New Metal Member
Jul 15, 2012
SKG
Me: Hello Peter, I am glad that you agreed to let me take an interview with you.

Peter: My pleasure Thanassis

Me: I would like to ask you about your career as a singer at first. What made you believe in yourself and become a singer?

Peter: Well that's a bit of a funny story because I actually started out as a guitar player. I studied classical guitar for 8 years and got my degree in music theory. All while thinking that my voice absolutely sucks! Haha

Until one day when I was 17 I was singing along to Burn In Hell by Judas Priest and almost by accident I hit the high falsetto scream in the chorus

A switch went on in my head right then and there and I was like "I think I can do this..."

Me: And you did it as it has shown up.

Quite a nice story to tell your children. Which artists were inspirational for you and made you love them so much?

Peter: My biggest influences have been people like Bruce Dickinson, Dio, Ian Gillan, Halford, Tim Ripper Owens and Geoff Tate though there's a lot of other singers that have influenced me in some ways like for example Eric Adams, Phil Anselmo, David Coverdale and others

Me: Many great artists, like Ronnie DIO that you have mentioned above are now not with us. If you had the chance to work with one of them who would this guy be?

Peter: Honestly any of these guys would be great to work with

Me: Nice. Let's move on. Last question about the "decision to be a singer" years. Which was the musician/artist that you first met and which was the first concert you have been to?

Peter: God, I actually can't remember, I have met most of my childhood heroes though so I guess not many people get to experience that but I honestly can not remember who the first one was. I should remember really! haha. My first concert was Iron Maiden in Greece when I was very young, in '99.

Me: Thank you. This part of the interview, regarding your early years is over. Let us move on to the next topic.

Peter: Sure

Me: Like every musician, the beginning is either really tough or very easy to deal with. Let me give you an example to specificate. The bands "Eagles", "Dire Straits" and "Guns N Roses" have had a great beginning on their careers. What about you? Was it easy for you to find a band to play with?

The thing with me is that when I moved to London it was the time that Metalcore was everywhere and industry people here wanted nothing to do with True Metal so it was really hard for me to even find a band to sing in

I had to learn how to sing the more aggressive stuff just in order to be able to be out there doing this!

It was a very tough time for me

Me: So, when did you first find a band?

Peter: Well, I was in many local low lever bands for a couple of years but I usually would leave after a couple of weeks because I would get pissed off with the lack of direction and ambition. My first proper band in the UK was The More I See which is the band of The Prodigy's ex guitarist Gizz Butt

I am very glad I got given the chance to be in that band and I am proud of the album I recorded with them

Me: That is really good I might say. But there was more. Would you like to share some of the finest or perhaps not so good moments of yours until the moment Monument appeared?

Peter: People don't realise how much hard work and sacrifice goes into this if you want a career in music and you are not from a wealthy family

Me: Any more bands before Monument?

Peter: After The More I See I went to Los Angeles and joined White Wizzard whitch I recorded a single and toured with

Me: Where a crazy story happenned ...

Peter: Yes, I didn't get a US VISA to go back and do the album, so I had to leave the band and that's when I decided to go my own way and form Monument which is pretty much my dream band.

Me: And this is how a nightmare (it is quite bad to leave a band because of a VISA) turned into a great dream. Do you believe that life would be different if you actually held the VISA?

Peter: To be honest with you I think I would have formed Monument regardless, even if I was still in White Wizzard

WW is going towards a more progressive rock sound which is great but my true passion is true British Metal

and as an artist I would have to do this at some point for my own sanity!

I am still very good friends with the guys in WW and there's no bad feelings whatsoever

in fact we may be touring together at some point

Me: So, Monument is your brainchild.

Peter: Yes

Me: a concept captured and finished by you?

Peter: At least for the E.P. yes. Now it's much more of a team effort.

Me: How did you find the rest of the band members?

Peter: I knew all the guys for years so it was very easy to find band members

Me: And you managed to make me skip the question "Do they feel the heat of your brainchild like you?" In which I guess you would reply yes, as they cooperate much more like stated previously.

Peter: Yup.

Me: So, you mentioned the E.P.
Where did that all come from?

Peter: It was just a taster for the album really

Me: And now you prepare a tribute to Deep Purple, and Jon Lord specifically. Do you wish to speak of it, perhaps announce something?

Peter: Yes, it's a cover of Black Night and it will be out in a few weeks, it also features Bob Katsionis from Firewind playing Jon Lord's parts on keyboards.

Me: Did you enjoy working with Bob? Was he cooperative and ambituous as well?

Peter: Absolutely, Bob is always great to work with

Me: So, we are expecting the release of "Black Night" as a tribute to Jon Lord featuring Bob . Any future plans?

Peter: We are currently doing pre-production for the album
will start recording around late February

Me: Nice.
And this is the end of a long and quite innovative interview. Thank you for your time Peter, I wish the best for you and Monument.!

Peter: Thanks a lot Thanassis!

And this is the end of a long interview guys. I did not know why I could not post it in the interviews section.. But this is it, enjoy!