Interview with Symphony X drummer Jason Rullo

:lol:

Yeah, perhaps like "Why don't you guys ever play The Edge of Forever?"

Exactly! Of course the key is to keep pressing until you get the answers you seek. In the case of TEoF, the answers we got sucked. For those wondering, we(myself and Beauregard) were pretty much informed not to hold our breath for that particular song(or anything other than the norm from Damnation Game.)

And thanks, Jax, for rubbing it in. I picked a bad PP to miss...

Makes no sense. why no DG songs? There are so really great one's there.

Because according to Russell, the amount of copies The Damnation Game sold was "way down here," compared to the newer albums, which were like "way up here." Russell, Lepond, and P all said that they didn't really "feel the vibe" when they rehearsed the song for ProgPower. They played it once, and I doubt they'll ever play it again. I do remember Lepond saying that he would "love to play Whispers," but right now the band is pretty much strictly promoting the newer stuff.

That said, if a song from The Damnation Game does squeeze its way into the band's set in the future, my guess is that it will most likely be Dressed to Kill or the title track.

Hey all. I just want to nicely set things straight about this interview.

As I stated at the top of this thread, I was trying to get questions from the group, but the Ultimate Metal server was down. Additionally, I did not conduct the interview. Third, Simay (who is a female by the way) had NO IDEA she would be interviewing only Jason. She was advised to prepare to interview the "band" and most likely Romeo and Russell.

There was no crystal ball, so again, Simay had no way to know she would be interviewing only Jason. Jason was great though and appreciated the line of questioning. He was quite upbeat and chatty, so that was taken as a positive.

Simay greatly appreciates your positive feedback, but I felt it necessary to straighten out the context of the questioning; as to why it was not "drum related." You have to work with what you're given and she did a great job.

Tito

Hey all. I just want to nicely set things straight about this interview.

As I stated at the top of this thread, I was trying to get questions from the group, but the Ultimate Metal server was down. Additionally, I did not conduct the interview. Third, Simay (who is a female by the way) had NO IDEA she would be interviewing only Jason. She was advised to prepare to interview the "band" and most likely Romeo and Russell.

There was no crystal ball, so again, Simay had no way to know she would be interviewing only Jason. Jason was great though and appreciated the line of questioning. He was quite upbeat and chatty, so that was taken as a positive.

Simay greatly appreciates your positive feedback, but I felt it necessary to straighten out the context of the questioning; as to why it was not "drum related." You have to work with what you're given and she did a great job.

Tito

Ah, alright. I thought it seemed a bit strange. Fortunately Jason seemed answer those questions just as well as Romeo would have.

And I guess I have to actually buy DG to add another sold album to the list.:)
Besides, I think the biggest reason why DG didn't sell that much was cause the band wasn't that well known at that time.

Because according to Russell, the amount of copies The Damnation Game sold was "way down here," compared to the newer albums, which were like "way up here." Russell, Lepond, and P all said that they didn't really "feel the vibe" when they rehearsed the song for ProgPower. They played it once, and I doubt they'll ever play it again. I do remember Lepond saying that he would "love to play Whispers," but right now the band is pretty much strictly promoting the newer stuff.

That said, if a song from The Damnation Game does squeeze its way into the band's set in the future, my guess is that it will most likely be Dressed to Kill or the title track.

Romeo makes all of setlist decisions according to Pinella, who has wanted to play The Relic for some time (I love that song). Leopond loves Church of the Machine, but apparently Russ does not want to do it (totally weak). In the end, Romeo makes all of the final decisions for better or for worse. The setlist of the latest tour kicked fuckin ass (I saw them at BB Kings and Starland).

I was always curious whether or not Romeo still likes the older stuff from the first 2 albums. How cool would it be for them to play The Edge of Forever? The original bass player, Thomas Miller, used to co-write with Romeo, and when he left, the style really changed (V and beyond became much more guitar-driven with far less bass counterpoint, which was my favorite part of the older albums). So I wonder if Romeo tends to shy away from the really old stuff because of this.

The original bass player, Thomas Miller, used to co-write with Romeo, and when he left, the style really changed (V and beyond became much more guitar-driven with far less bass counterpoint, which was my favorite part of the older albums). So I wonder if Romeo tends to shy away from the really old stuff because of this.

I doubt it. He's probably just far more fond of the newer stuff in general. Maybe it is because there's more guitar, maybe not. It's a good theory, though.

The Relic would be awesome! Twilight in general is never represented very well compared to Divine Wings (even though Twilight is more recent).