INTO ETERNITY

Asmus_Thomsen

Jun 23, 2002
Denmark
www.sacrificial.dk
First off, Into Eternity is one of my absolute fave-bands. Incredible musicianship, great songs, great harmonies - simply a great, but somewhat overlooked band. I've just bought their new cd, which Andy mixed, and the sound is great, crystalclear - except for the drums, which doesn't sound good at all, and they don't do justice to a great drummer like Jim Austin. The kick is, well, (too) clicky and hollow, and the snare sounds like a 100% sample - in my opinion that is. I'm not bashing Andy, but I would like to know how it came to this. Was this a bands' decision or was it just the way Andy thought it should sound? Andy is without doubt one of my fave producers, and this post may seem a bit unfair, but beeing a big fan of this band, I just need to know!

I'm not a fan of the drums on this CD at all either, but it's more of his playing than how they sound. I thought his performance was definately not good at all and that basically ruined the songs for me.

Kick sounds pitch shifted down. I didn't like it at first, but now I like the way it cuts through the mix. It's different for sure. other then that I thought the drums were okay. I like the drumming on the song with the line "If I fall into the ocean, will you be there to rescue me-eh!" which I don't remember the name of. Other then that It seems like normal metal drumming to me.

I'd be most interested in what was done on the vocals on this CD. The growls and screams sound a lot better then on "Buried in Oblivion" to me.

Sinister Mephisto said:
I'd be most interested in what was done on the vocals on this CD. The growls and screams sound a lot better then on "Buried in Oblivion" to me.

Definitely agree there. I think the vocals are great on the new one. Guitar sounds better than the previous albums as well. The drums are different but they do cut through the mix really well though.

The vocal change is what throws me. I think the new guy is great but I think Tim Roth was better at wirte really memorable clean vocals. And the guy seems to just be trying to show off. look I can sound like halford. But in the end I think it hurts the songs. Just my thoughts.

Please post all questions, comments & anything related to this artist here.

The Scattering Of Ashes

intoeternity_scattering.jpg

I caught Into Eternity in chicago on there most recent tour with Dark Tranquilility and I asked Tim Roth about the tone on the album. He said that he plugged right into the computer and used an amp modeling program for the tone, he couldn't remember which one but he said it might have been amp farm. I was very suprised, because I've seen him with a XXX and a JSX in pictures and when they played gigantour, and at the show he was using a Madison which he was testing out that tour.

yeh but he was probably using amp farm just to monitor because andy would reamp that shiz later?

cool album though, i prefer 'buried in oblivion' but obviously the production on 'the scattering...' blows it away, especially them kick drums

Did Andy ever talk about what he did for amp tones on this one if he re-amped what was recorded in Amp Farm? Also, I know Tim's using Ibanez guitars, but does anyone know which model and what he is loading into them as far as pickups? What about string gauge and such since they tune down to C?

Thanks,
Jeff

I have a hard time with this....I think the mix on this is killer, and the songs are far superior to Buried IMHO. I don't know what people hate about the drums so much.....

Did Andy ever talk about what he did for amp tones on this one if he re-amped what was recorded in Amp Farm? Also, I know Tim's using Ibanez guitars, but does anyone know which model and what he is loading into them as far as pickups? What about string gauge and such since they tune down to C?

Thanks,
Jeff

I've talked to Tim before about his strings and he said in his forums as well that he uses 10's.

yeh but he was probably using amp farm just to monitor because andy would reamp that shiz later?

99% positive that this would be the case. The only way that those guitars are amp modeled is if someone with some serious EQ/impulse skills went to work on those tracks, and when you have Andy Sneap at your disposal, why would you do that!?