Invader & Recabinet, Superior 2 mix test

Temps

Aug 13, 2008
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK even if its nasty. All feedback especially critical feedback is appreciated!!

I couldn't sleep so stayed up and did some silent recording and came up with this weird tune. What do you guys think of the tone? kinda sounds like Mnemic's tone off Audio Injected Soul to me but I only have phones right now so it's tough to say.

Pointers on the tone and snare sound in particular would be nice.. :) and as always, the overall mix

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7184202

The tune itself sounds like a strange, strange blend of a lot of different shit. chimpspanner + mnemic maybe.

This is all Recabinet 1.05 loaded into Voxengo.. channel 3 for the rhythm, channel 4 for the weird leads with Cubase's built in mod delay, channel 1 pitch shifted down for the bass sound, some Absynth in there.. and I was using my Green Screamer to boost the amp the whole time

Thanks dude :)

I updated the song as well with some new riffs and re-arranged it a bit. I'm out of time to record though so it still isn't finished..

Doesn't sound like that tone can handle soloing as well as I would like, but everything else it can totally cream! Great song too, BTW.

thanks dude. Updated again! tweaked the snare some more but I still don't like it much :(

Updated the song some more. I'd really appreciate some help with my snare sound!

I'm loving the rythm tone, what impulse did you use from Recabinet?

Also, love the crunch it has, very djenty! Which pickups did you use?

If I remember right, it is the Ghandi 4x12, EL34, SM57, cap mic 0.5 - I'd need to double check that though. All the guitars including the backing taps, leads, and bass was a Blackout Neck in the bridge of my SLSMG.. its like having an EMG 85 in the bridge except better ahaha.
I would have used the Blackout Bridge I have in the neck for the leads, but the solder came off the volume pot so it doesn't work :lol:

The guitar sound is great albeit a little dark. Same with the snare to me. The snare seems like it's struggling to be heard. Otherwise it's a very cool song especially with the odd melody stuff. Sounds tight as a 16 year-old Filipino prostitute however I think Bulbs pwnies track might be tighter than a 9 year-old Filipino. You're a lot closer than most though.

Damn, he's got 7 years on me :lol: I'm trying I'm trying ahaha

I am definitely not having a great time with my snare sound.. I mix on headphones at the moment and the snare translates even worse than everything else does :(

I did a little practice with my new monitors to see what would happen. I finally think I got a snare sound I like...!
I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give, only ever getting a few responses to my threads is starting to hurt my feelings :lol:

I'll tweak some more but I don't think I'm going to buy another pack of drum samples :lol:

Hey man, sounds pretty cool - I admit this whole Bulb-ish style of metal got old pretty fast for me, but you've still got some cool ideas going on in here. As for the mix, what's going on in that main riff under the guitars? (the very first riff, that also appears later in the song) All I hear is this thing in the right channel that's really distracting; it sounds like harmonic feedback with a MASSIVE LPF on it. The tone I think fits perfectly; it's not my favorite simply cuz the style isn't my thing, but I can't think of any way to make it better! (e.g. less fizz, less bass, etc.) The drums are pretty good, though I feel all the cymbals could come down a bit, and the kick could be louder (though I can tell already that I don't like it much, though I've yet to hear a S2.0 kick I did like...maybe buy yourself ApTrigga2 and scour on here for some good kick samples!). The snare has a great pop, though I think it could use a bit more body; a boost around the 1k range might help. And actually, in this part where the rhythm guitars drop out, I notice it's a bit nasty in the "sparkle" range (like 6k and up) - if you're boosting around there, I'd suggest maybe backing it off.

I like the X-TREME MIDS guitar licks that come in here and there, though I'd suggest panning them a bit less to the right channel, which seems to be where they usually end up, and is a bit distracting. Though the panning automation effect is cool - I'd just suggest making it more subtle by making the range more narrow. Also, I think you might have overdone the mid-boost thing; just backing the eq boost off a couple of dB's would help IMO. That's about all I can think of, sorry you haven't gotten more feedback!

To give you my completely honest opinion about the music though, I kinda feel this Bulb-style might be best left to...Bulb. Not saying yours is bad, but I just hear A LOT of influence, and he did do it first... (or at least AFAIK)

Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback! Which part about this song reminds you the most of a bulb song?

But yeah bulb definitely did do it first. I didn't think I was ripping him off all that hard and I definitely won't be able to make a bulb song as good as he does :lol: hopefully once I get some vocals on this (this weekend hopefully) it'll sound a little bit more unique.. in any case, he sets a high standard to aspire to. I gotta keep workin at it.

I made some tweaks as per the recommendations I've got the last couple days and am uploading it right now :) added a slight boost to the rhythm guitars to fatten em up, I turned down the snare bottom mic (caused the sparkle), changed the intro backing guitar + synth to be more subtle, panned the lead parts closer to the middle - one thing I am a little concerned with now is the separation of them but I'll listen some more - but the lead guitar tone I left alone for the time being. When I get some vocals done I'll take a look at them then and find a way to make them sit in the mix better.. but there is no mid boost on them at all :lol: that is a perfect flat EQ, thats just how channel 4 on the Invader sounds. TONS of smooth smooth mids.

glad you liked the Wall-E picture too ahaha.. awesome movie!