ipod Appreciate thread...

I LOVE my ipod the band sent me! 30 Gigs of music I can fill.....too bad between that and podcasts I have only managed to fill 6 gigs of it. Have not even BEGUN to rip my entire collection to it. I can't imagine my work day without my ipod! ANd now for working out!

Coldie

The_Q said:
I've had over 10 friends with Ipods over the last 6 months that have completely crashed....so I will gladly stick to cd's. no booklets on Ipods, LOL

The idea is not to replace CDs with the ipod, the ipod is mearly a player,
that will enable you to keep your entire collection in your pocket, for travel,
you can get a little transmitter that goes on top that broadcasts a radio frequency in your car, so you can pick it up on your radio clear as a bell,
no plugging in anything, just turn on your ipod and play on your radio,
it can be sitting in your pocket or on the dash, it's great!

you can also get a mic for it and use it for memo's, you can download and play movies on it from itunes, you can play games on it, you can store photo's on it,
youit has a clock, calendar, contacts, notes, and ooooooooohhh a stopwatch too ; )

Just a cool little piece of tech for when your traveling and need a little entertainment.

by the way...I've dropped mine a ton of times, even broke off the radio transmitter the other day, but the device works just like new still....though I did need to get another itrip (the radio transmitter...but on ebay that only cost me like $8 seriously cheap these days.!

:saint:

I've had my 4G 20GB iPod for over 2 years now, and I love it to bits. Best purchase ever. I only wish I had bought the 40 so I could fit 400 albums on it rather than 200. :loco:

i like my 40gb Zen Xtra touched and only way ill get a Ipod is that if there is a 100gb one :) so i could put my music/music videos/ videos/anime/

And while we were all busy packing for PPVII and enjoying the festivities, Apple came out with a “re-mastered” 8GB nano and an 80GB iPod. Ah, temptation…

The one issue that I’ve read with the new nano, though, is that the configuration is slightly different so “some” accessories might not work with it. I need to do a little more research on this, as buying a new carrying case is a little different from replacing a Bose SoundDock.

JosephAcevedo said:
Yes I know this is a weird topic but I recently not too long ago purchased a 30 gig ipod for $270 but I must say it is one of the best investments i have ever made.

Reasons why the ipod is a good investment?

- If your someone who owns a shitload of metal albums (like myself) then it beats flipping through cd after cd or dvd after dvd . (yes ipods can hold dvd's too now!)

- It is easier to find an album you want to listen to and it beats having to look for that cd in case you lost it or let a friend borrow it .

- It is especially good for on a roadtrip in the car rather then carrying a big ol cd case or having to switch cd's while driving.

- You can create your own setlists to play only songs you want.

- It runs on a self battery that is rechargeable.

yep yep yep yep and yep!!!!

Bear

My top priority is sound...how well it reproduces the music. I'll sacrifice bytes anyday if it sounds great. Therefore, I went with the iAudio G3. It has the new BBE sound enhancement technology that all the musicians are using. Awesome bass boost and also the basic BBE settings really pumps up the metal WAY beyond anything I've ever heard. I'm in heaven, as a "production" junky.

Of course, it doesn't hurt using my $200 Sennheiser headphones!

I absolutely love my 60GB iPod and iTunes. Its great having (almost) my entire CD collection together on it...great for listening to shit I haven't heard in a REALLY long time when you put it on shuffle. I also have some movies and TV shows on it...perfect for long train/plane rides.

I'm curious though, if theres any way to back it up? God forbid anything happened to the iPod where I'd need a new one, just the thought of having to re-rip my whole CD collection AGAIN makes me dread having to replace it.

I broke down and bought an 80gig iPod two weekends ago. After convincing it NOT to automatically sync with my laptop (55 gigs later....) and setting it so I manually control what goes on and what gets deleted, it's handling music just fine. I'm hoping to move a decent portion of my WREKage CDs to it, so I can avoid carrying 500+ CDs down to the radio station every Friday. :D

Its handling of videos and photos, however, is perplexing. I load a directory of videos into iTunes and then try to move them into the iPod....and it refuses because the iPod can't -- or won't -- play the format. "Uh, these are .mov files this time....didn't Apple invent the Quicktime format? What more do you want from me!?"

As for photos.....same story, even for jpgs. They're only the most common photo format in use today.....

I can't figure it out, and of course, Apple's laughable excuse for a printed product manual is no help at all. And yes, there are "Photo" and "Video" options on the iPod's main menu.

Pellaz said:
Its handling of videos and photos, however, is perplexing. I load a directory of videos into iTunes and then try to move them into the iPod....and it refuses because the iPod can't -- or won't -- play the format. "Uh, these are .mov files this time....didn't Apple invent the Quicktime format? What more do you want from me!?"

As for photos.....same story, even for jpgs. They're only the most common photo format in use today.....

I can't figure it out, and of course, Apple's laughable excuse for a printed product manual is no help at all. And yes, there are "Photo" and "Video" options on the iPod's main menu.

Glad to know I'm not the only one having problems getting the ipod to play videos. I did get mine to to play a video once but it had no sound.

I've had no problems with photos though.

Yngvai X said:
I'm curious though, if theres any way to back it up? God forbid anything happened to the iPod where I'd need a new one, just the thought of having to re-rip my whole CD collection AGAIN makes me dread having to replace it.

Back up the iPod? I'm sure there is a way, but I'd go with backing up your original MP3's (from your computer)...FAR easier, and it will get stuff that's on your computer but not sync'd to the iPod (unless your iPod can hold your whole collection).

There's three basic ways to back it up:

1) Somewhere in the iTunes preferences it will show you where your Music is being stored on the computer (under the "Advanced" tab, probably). Use blank DVDs or CDs and simply back up the MP3s as you would anything else on your computer (this is trivial on a Mac, and *too* bad under Windows these days, depending on the software you have). Note that if you have many MP3s at all, you'll need a TON of CDs if you choose that format. Use DVDs if your computer has a DVD drive (holds about 7 times what CDs hold), or better yet, use double-layer DVDs *IF* your DVD drive supports them (most don't)...they hold twice as much as a "regular" DVD.

2) iTunes itself will let you burn MP3s directly to DVD or CD. Just create multiple playlists for what you want to back up (size each playlist so that it'll fit the disc), click the "Burn" button and insert a disc when it tells you. You might be able to do all your "A" artists on one disc, all the "B" artists on another, etc...break 'em up however you want. The down side of this method is that it doesn't preserve artist/CD folders, last time I used it, so if you do DVDs, you'll just have several hundred MP3s on the disc with no organization except a big damn list of files (this is why I choose #1). It works just fine as a backup, but I prefer #1 as it's more organized...makes it easier if you need/want to extract specific CDs vs. just doing a complete restore (I use my backup DVDs to transfer CDs to my work laptop).

3) Buy an external hard drive and drag the iTunes "Music" folder over.

Of course, all three of these require updating...once you've bought and ripped more CDs to your computer, you'll want to do an updated backup. Rather than re-burning 65GB of data, I just burn discs with the "new stuff." To do this, go to "Library" view, and make sure you have "All Artists" "All Artists" and "All Albums" selected if you use Browse view, then click the "Date Added" column header. Your songs are now sorted by the date you ripped them from CD. Select everything since your last backup and burn it to a new disc (this is easiest using method #2 above). Just as was the case with originally ripping all your CDs when you first got your iPod, doing the first backup will take a while if you have many MP3s, but once it's done, doing these "update" backups for new stuff doesn't take long (speaking of which, I'm probably due for one!).

BTW, if you did a backup to an external hard drive, you can actually drag from the selected list in iTunes over to the external hard drive (at least in the LATEST Mac version...not sure about other versions or on Windows). Granted, the songs won't automagically drop into their appropriate artist/CD sub-folders on the external drive, but at least they're backed up, right? :) If you have to re-import the files into iTunes at some point, it'll figure it out when it imports it.

Send me a private message if you have questions on how to do any of this...I don't always keep up with replies in forum threads.

BTW...enjoyed the party with you, Noah, etc on Thursday night at PP7!!

Craig

I guess it all depends on what you want out of an MP3 player.
I just want something that I can put a lot of songs on for playing in the car.
Therefore, I would NEVER pay the price for an IPOD.
I got a 1GB PHILIPS MP3 player, that suits me just fine
(and was only $49.99).
Now if I rode the train everyday and walked a lot, then it might be a different story.

Though when I have shopped the players, it seems that there are MANY less expensive options to the IPOD. Do people pay the price simply because of Apple's notoriety? Is this a case where those with the most advertising dollars benefit most?