ipod Appreciate thread...

iPods are fantastic, but fragile. I've gotten two completely fucked due to corrupted files, but thankfully I have a long-lasting warranty (good call, huh.) Most of the time, they do exactly what I want and what I need. The battery life could be longer (can't really make it through a whole plane flight across the country, which I do semi-frequently) but those are the only complaints I have.

I can't wait until I can get a USB adaptor to my faceplate in the car. iPod + Car speakers = :OMG:

Matt, thanks for the info. :headbang:

Still wondering about photos, though. One of the surprisingly knowledgeable staff at Fry's* told me that images had to be in a certain type of album format before being imported into an iPod, so now I'll be seeking even more info about that. Joy-y-y-y-y-y.

As for battery life, the 80gig is rated for 20 hours of battery power while playing music, and based on my experience so far, I'd say that's not too far off: I've gone about 8-9 hours playing music and the battery was down to about half...and I tend to use the screen backlight a lot.

As for backing up your mp3's, I'd strongly recommend purchasing an external drive and using it as a backup. It's reasonably quick, a lot less hassle than burning dozens of CDs or DVDs, and the prices have plummeted on spinning storage: I got a 160 Gbyte IOmega external drive for $80 after rebate ($120 without), and this was about 18 months ago. I seldom disconnect it, it runs continuously, and I've had no problems whatsoever....although their built-in backup program sucks (filesystem can't handle some filenames). So, I do it myself at regular intervals.

Heck, Fry's had 1 Tbyte (yep, one terabyte) storage units for around $600 after rebate. :worship:

=-=-=-=-=-
* the sales personnel at Bender's, however, were quite rude...until I offered to get them an oil bath. </obligatory Futurama quip>