Iron Maiden in Chicago

Very good show. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Liked the set list for both DT and Maiden.

Thankfully the sound was decent from our seats (3 rows center right behind the pit). I've always heard that you need to get seats in the center of the pavilion at that dump: but not too close and not too far back. I had a similar location for Dio/Motorhead/Maiden and the sound was good then too. Otherwise you get the shitty sound as everyone describes. Especially in the lawn.

That venue sucks. Took forever to find my car, you can't tailgate, and $11 beers (even if it is $5.5 per 12oz) is steep. At least they let you have some drinks in the lot in your car now. In the past I've had security tell us to leave the car to go into the venue.

It will be interesting to hear the official attendance. I talked to an employee and apparently going into Sunday they had sold around 15,000. I wonder if they sold a lot to "game day" walk-ups to reach Bruce's 18k estimate. I have a picture of the employee's "Day-of-Show Instruction Sheet" that shows the 15,000 number, but I cannot upload pictures according to my account's UM Posting Rules.

Several people around me were there mainly for DT and had never seen Maiden. I wonder how many in the Maiden newbie applause were this type of fan.

I also was quite amused in the section on the instructions sheet that said "Expected Demo: Ages 30-55, Older rock crowd- moderate to high alcohol consumption."

That's interesting.
I never thought of that, but I suppose a venue does need to have an expected demographic.

Can you see it for Ozzfest?
"15 year old Hot Topic kids who spin kick in the pit, wear bandanas and Slipknot t-shirts, and have never gotten laid"

I enjoyed the show quite a bit. As a note to Jasonic, seeing James LaBrie live for the 17th time did not make me lose my bowels. However, knowing that Glenn got to meet him and take a picture with him makes me insanely jealous! Dream Theater was excellent, and they certainly made the most of such a short set time. I was hoping to hear something off of the newest album that they didn't play last time, but that's a minor complaint. Maiden, as always, put on a hell of a show. Dickinson defies the laws of aging, and the triple axe attack was in fine form. I was happy to finally see them play "No More Lies," "Dance Of Death," and "Running Free," but the rest of the set was more of the same fare that you usually get. They could definitely change up the "classics" that they play on these new album tours, but in the moment, you tend to forget that you've seen these songs played a million times in concert and on DVD and just pump your fist and sing along. Despite the fact that the First Midwest Bank Amphitheater sucks the suck out of suck (for all of the reasons posted above on this thread), this show is most likely going to stand out as the best show in Chicago for this year.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Powerslave - 1st leg Twisted Sister, 2nd leg Accept (Jasonic's first show!)
Somewhere Back in Time - Waysted
Seventh Son - Megadeth (was originally Guns n Roses)
No Prayer - Anthrax
FOTD - COC and Testament
X-Factor - Gravity Kills
Virtual - Dio / WASP (might have changed tho)
Ed Hunter - Monster Magnet and Clutch (originally Machine Head)

I think above, you meant "Give Me Ed Til I'm Dead" :)

Then earlier on, they supported KISS on the Unmasked Tour, Scorps on Blackout, and I think Piece of Mind was either supporting Priest or with Quiet Riot, or both.... Before my time, so I am not 100% clear and lazy to look up!

Ratt also opened up some of the second leg of the World Slavery Tour and Fear Factory was on part of the X-Factour.

Frehley's Comet opened when I saw them on the Seventh Tour Of A Seventh Tour. And Queensryche was with Maiden and Twisted Sister when they came through NYC on the Powerslave tour.

Powerslave - 1st leg Twisted Sister, 2nd leg Accept (Jasonic's first show!)
Somewhere Back in Time - Waysted
Seventh Son - Megadeth (was originally Guns n Roses)
No Prayer - Anthrax
FOTD - COC and Testament
X-Factor - Gravity Kills
Virtual - Dio / WASP (might have changed tho)
Ed Hunter - Monster Magnet and Clutch (originally Machine Head)

I think above, you meant "Give Me Ed Til I'm Dead" :)

Then earlier on, they supported KISS on the Unmasked Tour, Scorps on Blackout, and I think Piece of Mind was either supporting Priest or with Quiet Riot, or both.... Before my time, so I am not 100% clear and lazy to look up!

Piece of Mind was headlining and NOTB was opening for Priest on their Screaming For Vengeance tour as well as Rainbow and the Scorps.

This site is a great resource for all Maiden tourdates, setlists, opening acts, etc.

http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com

Nice to see that they actually had an opening band on this tour. Wish they would come back to Florida again. We only got the one show last year down here.
Well, at least everyone else tours down here more or less. Scorpions/Ratt show Saturday night was great.

I THOUGHT IT WAS AN EXCELLENT SHOW, MY FIRST TIME AT THIS VENUE, DROVE 8+ HRS TO GET THERE AND WORTH IT!! THIS WAS MY FORTH TIME SEEING BOTH BANDS AND I'D SAY THEY R IN TOP FORM, UP THE IRONS!!!!

A friend and I made the trip for this. My first time seeing them with Bruce and my friend's first at all. Quite enjoyed it.

Great show. I enjoyed the SBIT show more for various reasons, but this one was great too. Probably my last show this year aside from ProgPower. I say that now but at this rate I'll probably go to about five more. :lol:

Here was our daughter sending my wife and I off...
4806689086_44c3aa5f86.jpg

Can't wait til she can join us!

Great show. I enjoyed the SBIT show more for various reasons, but this one was great too. Probably my last show this year aside from ProgPower. I say that now but at this rate I'll probably go to about five more. :lol:

Here was our daughter sending my wife and I off...
4806689086_44c3aa5f86.jpg

Can't wait til she can join us!

Start 'em out young. :headbang:

Piece of Mind was headlining and NOTB was opening for Priest on their Screaming For Vengeance tour as well as Rainbow and the Scorps.

This site is a great resource for all Maiden tourdates, setlists, opening acts, etc.

http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com

Thanks for the clarification.
Not sure I know about Rainbow. That's sweet!

I will have to check the site out when I have more time.