there's been a few really classic songs since 7th son:

icon4.gif
SIGN OF THE CROSS
icon4.gif

judas be my guide
be quick or be dead
ghost of the navigator
paschendale

True, true... I stand (well sit) corrected, although I still don't put those tracks up alongside the old-school classics (not quite!).

As I said before, Maiden *still* rock. :headbang: :kickass: :headbang:

lizard said:
like I say, they're going to come up with gems periodically, just not on the pace they did back when....and where do you draw the line, do you count the Blaze songs? Does Bruce even sing any of those live? I'm asking because I honestly don't know.
yes, "sign of the cross" from the x factor (blaze album) is THE best song they've written after 7th son

and yes, bruce does sing that, "man on the edge", "lord of the flies", "the clansman", "futureal" and possibly other blaze era songs live. that's one of the things that makes me respect maiden a lot; steve doesn't pretend like that era never happened, he's proud of it and sees those albums no differently than any other maiden albums

lizard said:
were metal back when synth bands dominated...
...until they jumped on the synth train and released "turbo"

i don't think i know of a band that's so obviously commercial trendwhores and yet so highly regarded by almost everyone in metal... face it people, i doubt there's ever been a band as trend pandering as judas priest. OH BRITISH STEEL GAVE US COMMERCIAL SUCCESS? LETS TRY TO BE EVEN MORE COMMERCIAL AND RELEASE POINT OF ENTRY! OH ITS POPULAR TO BE POPPY AND USE SYNTHESIZERS? LETS RELEASE TURBO! OH ITS POPULAR WITH SPEED AND THRASH METAL NOW? LETS RELEASE PAINKILLER! OH MALLCORE IS POPULAR? LETS RELEASE DEMOLITION!

80's priest was frankly 90% a heap of fucking shit. i love early 70's priest but from british steel and onward i can live without them easily

lizard said:
they came up with some classic riffs and were metal back when synth bands dominated...but please let's not confuse endurance with classic status.

And let's not confuse endurance with "Deliverance"...... "Squeal like a pig boy!"

Erik said:
and yes, bruce does sing that, "man on the edge", "lord of the flies", "the clansman", "futureal" and possibly other blaze era songs live.
oh yeah. everyone needs to hear "lord of the flies" off "death on the road". bruce absolutely fucking owns all over the place on that song. he goes a whole fucking octave higher than blaze on the chorus and it really lifts the song a lot. great stuff!

lizard said:
agreed. the good to tripe ratio has a much bigger gap than maiden's does.
maiden has released very few album songs that totally suck, and all of the ones that do are on "virtual xi" and "fear of the dark"