is anyone programming drums with this

Unless you're really good at using one of them and perfectly in time, it's going to take ages to move the drums into place once you're finished. Seems pretty cool for jamming ideas though!

I've seen a lot of hip hop guys use these or the full size akai MPC's, but I imagine it would be really tedious to play metal on one

yes but i though it will be awsome for thinking of patern ideas. i know that double kick will be impossible to do, but maybe slower stuff can be usefull?.
+ its only 70$.

I find it much easier to do all drums by hand with a mouse. Doesn't matter what genre. It feels stupid first playing the drums in on a controller, and then having to fix them afterwards anyway.

i have a korg pad that's a little bit bigger than that, and i absolutely love having it around to perform drum parts on

while i do end up having to edit/quantize the midi afterwards, i find it's really valuable to have around for coming up with fills and patterns that sometimes are incredibly difficult/tedious to work out by just clicking around on a grid

while i do end up having to edit/quantize the midi afterwards, i find it's really valuable to have around for coming up with fills and patterns that sometimes are incredibly difficult/tedious to work out by just clicking around on a grid

Actually it would be really good to use for that sort of thing. I hate when you're programming the drums and the drummer doesn't know enough theory to explain how a fill goes, so you sit there for half an hour putting the notes in different places until he says it's right. If you had one of these, then you just have him play it and quantize. Clever :)

i use an akai mpd16 all the time for making the drum sketches and fills with steven Slate Drums and other Libs.. of course there is alot of editing to do afterwards, and you also need to start practicing with it too ;) otherwise you wont be in time ;)
akai_mpd16_main.jpg

I do all my basic step programming, and drum riffs on a Boss DR 770 Rhythm drum machine(Already has a drum pad), from there I transfer all midi to Reaper where I humanize,copy/paste, and add the finishing touches.

i rock one of these guys...

DV016_Jpg_Large_583646_top.jpg

which i picked up used from another user on here. it's nice having the 16 pads, because i assign 2 to kick, 2 to snare, 3 for hats, 4 toms, and 5 cymbals. it also has a midi input, which allows the unit to be used as a USB midi interface. came in pretty handy when a buddy of mine wanted me to record his roland e-kit a while back...all i had to do was run the output from the drum brain into the korg, hit record, and done. it also allowed me to sample all of the drum sounds from his drum brain as well ;)

it's also nice to have around if you happen to get some tracks that need percussion added but weren't tracked to a click. i don't know if anyone else has tried programming bongos to acoustic guitar tracks that vary in tempo before, but that shit takes for ever to do manually...and about 10 minutes with the korgpad.

I've used MPC pads for writing drums but I always end up going back to a keyboard. Much more reliable and better feel once you get used to it. Just remap the drum layout to your liking and get started. You may benefit the most from a portable MIDI controller like an Oxygen 25. Here are a few videos I've done

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPHu9qBaa0&[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
honestly it's no different than having a keyboard 'cept the spacing of the pads, unless it's a big one. I've got one of these for noodling with fills:

Alesis%20Q25.jpg

It's a small piece of gear but the keys on it are full size so making drum parts is actually pretty darn easy.

honestly it's no different than having a keyboard 'cept the spacing of the pads, unless it's a big one. I've got one of these for noodling with fills:

Alesis%20Q25.jpg

It's a small piece of gear but the keys on it are full size so making drum parts is actually pretty darn easy.

i own an old oxygen 8 for this very same reason..

well i have a semi-weighted full size keyboard, m-audio keystation 88 midi controllers. its quite hard to play on wheighted keys.

those korg/ akai stuff on this thread seems cool. i actualy thought of getting a smaller one, 8 pads seems enough, + it has 4 different settings, so you can actually have 32 buttons if you dont use them all at once..

i just feel really uncreadtive writing drums with mouse

I program drums with a mouse in the piano roll. It always took me longer to quantize the midi performances than to program from scratch. At first some fills were hard to translate, but it forced me to learn more about music theory. Now I can program pretty much any fill I can think of. If you want a more humanized feel for fills, just move some hits slightly off grid.

I've used MPC pads for writing drums but I always end up going back to a keyboard. Much more reliable and better feel once you get used to it. Just remap the drum layout to your liking and get started. You may benefit the most from a portable MIDI controller like an Oxygen 25. Here are a few videos I've done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqdBgmrRRyY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPHu9qBaa0&

Nice, sounds like a much simpler and natural way of programming drums than what I'm doing. :kickass:
I'm just going to have to practice with a keyboard.

If you can keep time it can be a quick way of putting the building blocks together. Basic kick/snare patterns + quantize gets shit down in one pass.