Is it just me or do Maudio monitors...

doclegion

Contagious Destruction
Dec 31, 2006
Sound boxy?? I own the Bx5
Every mix that comes out of them has mids no matter what? I know i need new monitors anyway, but man i get a killer tone or sound out of them i (mean sweet) then i go listen everywhere it still need to be cleaned up in the mids??

I do eq and that helps of course but when its there its there, no matter what you do
wondering if anyone has this problem
I been looking at the Hs80s those are badass monitors
I seen them at GC for 275ea right?? I go back a week later and there 399ea?? that says something right there!!
I SHOULD'VE GOTTEN EM THEN SHART!!!!

Wait...if mixes that sound find on them sound too middy on other systems, wouldn't that mean the M-Audios aren't boxy, but in fact, scooped? ;) (cuz stuff sounds boxy on other systems)

Gotta agree with Marcus

I have bx5a's and they sound scooped, however it's something I became used to. Listen to your favourite records thru them and know how they react.

At this price range, I wouldn't expect completely flat monitors and treated rooms though

Just imagine how the hs80's bass response would sound in a small untreated room.

I used them few times and they are really really powerful and really strong in the bass end...

^ Agreed, what you're saying is that it is scooped.

I own a pair of bx5a's as well, and honestly they're not that bad but their not really good either, what you're experiencing might be due to your room? Or in fact not knowing them too well, at the beginning I had the same problem, but what I did was listen to a lot, and I mean A LOT of good albums in there and getting used to how they sound here. It might not be that good because when I change monitor in the future I may get a huge shock! But that's the only thing you can do right now I believe. Or get A7's or HS80m : p OR treat your room to hell

I know them pretty well ive used them for 3 years.
I see what you guys are sayin
scooped you say?? yea and that kinda leaves me with boxy mixes sometimes cause i dont hear mids right or its my room lol
no one notices it but me when i show people so i know im just being to picky haha

Very happy BX8a user here, they are very flat monitors and I'm never encountering any surprises when I burn my mixes to disc to listen in other environments. The room makes a big difference - these are some of the best monitors anywhere near the price range IMO. I won't bother replacing these monitors until I get something top end like Genelecs; middle-of-the-road reference monitors are a silly place to waste your money or obsess over. The BX8as beat out the Event PS8s I used to have (which I was very unhappy with), and I made a profit doing the switch, or I probably wouldn't have bothered.

The most important thing is room treatment and having other things to A/B mixes on (good headphones, crappy speakers, etc.)

I love my HS80M's in a small untreated room, and I've had no problems with bass. Definately a lot better than the B2030A's I used to have, with which I used to get the same thing, my mids never translated well. The +2db midboost is really helpful when mixing.

Though I still do A/B with headphones constantly when I mix.

Very happy BX8a user here, they are very flat monitors and I'm never encountering any surprises when I burn my mixes to disc to listen in other environments. The room makes a big difference - these are some of the best monitors anywhere near the price range IMO. I won't bother replacing these monitors until I get something top end like Genelecs; middle-of-the-road reference monitors are a silly place to waste your money or obsess over. The BX8as beat out the Event PS8s I used to have (which I was very unhappy with), and I made a profit doing the switch, or I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Kazrog - happy to read you like your BX8a monitors so much - I am a happy BX5a user (have had them for awhile now and like the sound from them), but have wanted to upgrade to BX8a's for a while. I may need to look for a set soon.

Happy BX8a user here as well. Decent speakers for what you pay, I got them on sale two-for-one when M-Audio was about to put out the Deluxe versions. I have a few friends that use the BX5a and they get some of the best mixes, far from boxy sounding.