Is it possible to play Tech Death with just 2 fingers?

SlaveToTheYouth

New Metal Member
Dec 24, 2010
Playing technical Death metal with 2 finger picking, is it possible?

If so is there actually any tech death bassists that do this.

Hell yes it is. And hell yes there are a lot of guys that are flying with 2 finger style. Probably most guys actually.

Short of asking if anything happened to you not having more than 2 fingers on your picking hand... I mean, why would there be a reason to only limit yourself in technical death metal & not trying the other fingers and thumb?
SDG

My bassist plays with 2 fingers, and he does alright. But he's not playing Digiorgio speeds. And we aren't necessarily Tech Death. We're more Old School Death Metal. But we take influence from Prog and Tech by having fretless bass and some crazy drum parts. I'd say it depends on what kind of Tech Death. I think it's possible to play Obscura's music with 2 fingers. Necrophagist is a maybe, but all of the tapping make it seem hard. The stuff Steve does on Human or ITP? No way, some of that stuff seems to REQUIRE 3 fingers. It's possible to play Tech Death with 1 finger, but only if it's really simple on the bass.

Bottom line, it's all about perspective - how crazy do you want your bass parts to be? I personally care more for my bassist to have more work with the left hand than the right.

I think Jeroen Paul Thesseling said in an interview that he generally plays with the index and ring finger only, and that it's the fastest thing for him. So...