Is Kirk Hammett over-rated?

Plankcore

Felate me plz.
Sep 24, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
I was in a music shop on Thursday trying out guitars, since I'll be getting a new one pretty soon. I was checking out a Kirk Hammett signature guitar (I like the EMG HZ pickups, not really a big Metallica or Hammet fan) and myself and the guy in the shop got into a discussion about Hammett. Is he over-rated as a guitarist? I think the general conclusion is basically that he was awesome way back when, and, just like Metallica, disintegrated over time. I mean, i'll admit, I love the solos from Kill 'Em All. They aren't exactly shredding masterpieces but they just sound fucking cool, you know? I just can't seem to figure out whether or not the guy deserves to be described as a guitar hero or whatever, like alot of people hail him as.

What do y'all think? Is he over-rated or is he one of the best metal guitarists of all time? Personally, I'd probably say over-rated, but I still enjoy the older stuff he did.

i don't think he is over-rated... i liked him... (before load)

Idk really know if he is good or not because he is always wanking with that wah pedal

I think he has the right to be classed as a hero because he alone inspires loads of people to start playing the guitar etc. I was influenced by him when I first started and without Metallica, I wouldn't be as good now.

His solos fit the music very well but he's not an amazing player, so those who say he is are taking it too far.

But since when do you have to be technically amazing to be a guitar hero?

So I'd say, no. He's not over-rated.

Pretty much all KEA and a few of RTL solos were written by Mustaine before he was booted out.

I think he is very overrated. I hate listening to him live these days.

<-Warheart-> said:
I think he has the right to be classed as a hero because he alone inspires loads of people to start playing the guitar etc. I was influenced by him when I first started and without Metallica, I wouldn't be as good now.

His solos fit the music very well but he's not an amazing player, so those who say he is are taking it too far.

But since when do you have to be technically amazing to be a guitar hero?

So I'd say, no. He's not over-rated.

I agree..he was the reason why i picked up a guitar in the first place....

Kirk Hammett is a very influential guitarist to me. His solos do have a lot of feeling in them and they fit into the songs perfectly IMO and they seem to flow well. Kirk Hammett has been and probably always will be my favorite lead guitarist, not saying he's better than most of the guitarists I listen to, but he's defiintely my favorite.

Both Metallica's guitarists are the reason why i picked up a guitar, back in the day Hammet was amazing, the solos/guitar work on ...And Justice For All is amazing. People have hailed him as a guitar god ever since.
I admit now he is caught up in his own mess of wah, but he was a legend back in the day.