is re-amp box really a must?

Thank you sir! I suppose, with a guitar DI direct into distorted high gain amp would sound piercing as fuck. Maybe, for raw black metal that I am doin it would do just fine.

Sorry, it is going to sound like crap. That´s the reason why these things exists.

I can´t make the test for you because I don´t own a guitar amp anymore :lol:
I sold it after getting my reamp box. Now I just track the DIs using POD Farm and, if I need it to be very good, I reamp them through my friend´s Triple Rectifier.

They´re extremely useful tools, I think you should get one. I really like mine, but it seems that the ReAmpV2 doubled its price on the last year, so I suggest you to take whatever Marcus recommends. He did an epic reamp boxes shootout and know what he´s saying.

Thanks Marcus for the shootout! I think I liked the LLabs and REAMPV2 the most but all sound good. Now to my next question.
Is there a reamp box that can accept -10dbV unbalanced as well? The thing is I would like to use the EQ unit first in the chain to alter the clean undistorted guitar sound BUT my MXR rack EQ is working at -10dbV and not +4 dbU. If not, what would be a best choice to make it to work?

Nah, all the re-amp boxes I know of only accept balanced line-level signals, but really, I've never had any luck with eq'ing the DI, it always just sounds strange and like it's missing something; for your tone tweaking, best to stick with guitar + pickup choice, amp choice/settings, cab choice/mic positioning, and as a last resort, post-eq'ing IMO!

Thanks Marcus for the shootout! I think I liked the LLabs and REAMPV2 the most but all sound good. Now to my next question.
Is there a reamp box that can accept -10dbV unbalanced as well? The thing is I would like to use the EQ unit first in the chain to alter the clean undistorted guitar sound BUT my MXR rack EQ is working at -10dbV and not +4 dbU. If not, what would be a best choice to make it to work?

I have a similar dilemma as my korg DAW doesnt have balanced Aux sends so I have no choice but to match the pup output with a meter .
Would there be any point in connecting balanced reamp box to unbalanced source ? is it even possible ?

yeah you can run it into a DI box in chain so it goes Aux Send->DI->Reamp Box->Amp.

Thats how i do it every time, works spot on for me. I only have Active DI boxes so dont know how good it will work with a passive DI

Just find the $50 reamp DIY box thread here and build it so that it is unbalanced. This is exactly what I did and it cost less than $20.00.

yeah you can run it into a DI box in chain so it goes Aux Send->DI->Reamp Box->Amp.

Thats how i do it every time, works spot on for me. I only have Active DI boxes so dont know how good it will work with a passive DI

I did actually think about using some of my rack gear in bypass mode it has balanced outs .
Your method makes more sense ....

Just find the $50 reamp DIY box thread here and build it so that it is unbalanced. This is exactly what I did and it cost less than $20.00.

Yep im going to look into that certainly works out a lot cheaper ,is the DIY method 100% as good as an off the shelf product ? There cant be an awful lot going on in these impedance matching devices ......

I did actually think about using some of my rack gear in bypass mode it has balanced outs .
Your method makes more sense ....

Yep im going to look into that certainly works out a lot cheaper ,is the DIY method 100% as good as an off the shelf product ? There cant be an awful lot going on in these impedance matching devices ......

If it makes a difference, the DI is passive and the factory ones are active. You loose a little gain, but that can be fixed by running a clean boost before the reamp, and just turning up the gain on your amp a little bit. It's not much lost at all.