Is recording engineering career still worth!?

Carax

New Metal Member
Jun 23, 2008
Brazil
Hey guys! i've been through this forum for a while and learning a LOT with you...but never posted anything...(maybe coz didnt have anything worth a post :))

But a was thinking about taking all theses recording stuff to a next level and study in a school in my country (Brazil). wich is NOT cheap! :erk: and do it for life and so on... BUT now i ask you... i know there's smome buddys here the works in studios and owns one to... is it worth to spend money (that a could spend in a college or another thing even a guitar or amp hehe) in this career?
how are the jobs in your countries? here the things are not really good..and to work here....this just DOESN'T work! i worry bout that coz nowadays "anyone can record" their own songs at home with a cracked cubase and so... and there are some great studios closing the doors....

thats why i ask you? is it worth to bet in this career? or would i just do it as a hobbie and study anything else?

i would REALLY apreciate any opinion! :)

and thanks in advance! :)

cheers :kickass:

Definatly dont do it for financial gain you will spend more than you earn. I spend all my spare time and money on equipment and learning music production. But i still got a degree in another subject so my day job takes care of my financial worry's id imagine id be fucked if i just did the audio thing. But if you realy love it maybe its worth pursuing no point in doing a job you hate and make loads of money either.

I guess it depends on what kind of expenses you have. I mean, I work part-time at a Mcdonalds and I manage to get enough money each months for a nice apartment, pretty good food and support my music/production habbits. But then again, that is pretty much were all my money goes. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

actofvengence: yeah...actually im afraid of this...cos here EVERYTHING bout audio is expensive....just an example..an USED 5150 combo is about U$2500 ..i repeat USED!!! so you can imagine all the other stuff....it's cheaper to buy a handmade custom amp than a brandnamed amp ! thats not fair...really...:cry: im 20 and i was thinking about studying this coz if you're good on the course they get an internship in another country.... (they know how is the business here...) but maybe its waste of time and money... i think im gonna continue studying computer graphics and just record my band my way! :p

The Unavoidable: actually... i dont have any expenses NOW, but soon ill have to get money for an apartment too ...i dont plan to own a sutdio...i dont see it in years...but working with recording (preferable metal) would be great...since a kid im trying this stuff :) but.... study 2 years to record your own demo seems not a good plan! :p

cheers

One side of it is the money - the other side is how much work/pressure/stress there is that comes with it. Recently I have been absolutely bombarded with work, working stupidly long days and into late hours, and not for much money. It makes you realise why you get paid and how it is a skilled job - something a lot of people dont understand......

I don't know how it is in Brazil, but Computer Graphics isn't as lucrative of a career anymore either, at least it's slowly getting that way in the U.S.

The point being, make sure if you are getting into such a money pit as recording, that your 'day job' is actually worthwhile enough to make life livable too.

Only one who knows is you.

Wouldn't do it for the money, wouldn't go to school for it (if you're going to school, get a real degree like EE, Math, or Physics... something that would get you into another field if AE doesn't play out... those three will also help you a lot with AE), wouldn't even count on that sustaining itself, let alone your personal needs. But it's all your call.

Jeff

Hi bro!
Don't go to recording schools here in Brazil, they just suck your money and don't teach shit, It's ridiculous..
I think I speak for almost everyone here when I say that you'll learn much more by yourself.
Buy some stuff and do it yourself, record some bands for free just to practice, get some files to mix, read stuff.. :)

Yeah you don't need a degree in music production to do the job, you can learn the stuff yourself by reading up and experimenting. In a lot of cases doing the degree is a waste of 3 years and money.
Yeah sure I'm starting a music production degree in September, but I've chosen to study at a place with good teachers a great course that is based in a city with a huge live music scene so I'll be able to network and make loads of contacts for recording. But I know the success rate is really low in the music business, so I have a back-up plan. I'm going to do a post graduate course in teaching, so if i don't make any money in the music business I'm going to become a secondary school teacher or a music teacher. That way I'll know there will be a pay check at the end of the month so I can live a reasonable existence.

So if you're serious about doing a music production degree maybe look into doing one in another country at a good institute where you'll be able to build contacts. If not then study something else that is a real degree (lets face it, music production isn't a real degree) then do music as a hobby.
Always have a back-up plan. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Haha damn, way to poop on a guy's parade. I must be the only one still doing this with stars in his eyes. Sure it's a hard industry, and hell for the first decade we'll all probably be working at McDonald's to pay our way through, but people like Andy are a testament that there still are jobs at the top for the few who are very good at what they do!

As Gustavo said, dont go to recording schools in Brazil. I know many people who went to one and still know nothing about recording. Read a lot of stuff (this forum and gearslutz has a LOT of cool info you wont find at any schools!), record a lot and experiment. The best thing i've ever done was to record some friends for free - this gave me some experience and those friends spread how good (or bad ehehe) I was.

Today i pay almost all my bills with this while recording for a very low price. I have a buddy at Salvador who records a lot and can live a good lifestyle with just recording. But, try to get a 2nd job, something that pays good money to support you, your family, and recording. Remember, as good as you can be, its not always that you get clients all the time. No clients = no money.

Ivan

Sell A bunch of cocaine, launder the money and buy a business. Build that business up, sell it, retire. Learn the tax system. Go after your dreams. :lol:
Should take a few years. Fail and go to jail. :erk:

:lol:

It is a joke :rolleyes: However I do know someone who has tho. :saint:

greats points and advices here! and i think you're all right...i think i was trying not to see de reality... i wont study this! hehe (at least not in schools :))

jangoux: i agree with you...lots of good information on these foruns :)

i definetely dont think its glamorous or anithing like that...but i think i would have fun on this coz i love doing this stuff!

as i can see..the only way is do it as a hobby...thats ok for a while... im almost recording a band..maybe for free...at least i get experience :)

Executioner213: here computer graphics is not that good either...but i started studying that last year...so..i'll continue i like it too! :loco:

Moonlapse: i agree with you to...its hard... but someday ...someday!

thanks to everyone for the advices :p that's why this forum is killer! :headbang:

cheers :kickass:

Sell A bunch of cocaine, launder the money and buy a business. Build that business up, sell it, retire. Learn the tax system. Go after your dreams. :lol:
Should take a few years. Fail and go to jail. :erk:

It is a joke :rolleyes: However I do know someone who has tho. :saint:

All very good points in this thread. At least here in Finland it's supposedly really hard to make a living out of this, but the way I see it, fuck that. It's what I want to do, and as long as I realise the risks and the fact that I might take a deep plunge into shit, I'm gonna try. If I fail at it, I can always go back to the construction sites doing a job I really don't dig that much just to support myself, but at least audio engineering is an option worth to go for :)

Hey,

I too wish to pursue the career of audio enginering and open a private studio with a fellow audio engineer. However, I don't see why you cannot apply for a job at a Radio or TV station and work your way up in the ranks. You'll still be meddling with audio and getting cash out of it. Maybe not as fun as recording/mixing/mastering but at least you'll still be in the field and you can improve on it. And also if you got the time study something part time in case you get bored to have a back up plan.

I don't think a career in audio engineering specifically means becoming famous or even recording 20 bands a year. I'm sure you can find something on that field like live sound for conferences etc etc.

I think a lot of people view recording as quite a glamorous, fun field of work. Certainly not the case!
Yeah its the same with the rock star image. You have 13 year old kids dreaming of being like thier idols and every body thinks its really glamorous and you can make lots of money. But the reality is if you're a young band you're running at a loss because you're not making enough money at shows and you're paying loads on petrol getting to the shows, and if you do break even you're only doing it because you love to do it despite all shit you have to put up with on the road.

Hey,

I too wish to pursue the career of audio enginering and open a private studio with a fellow audio engineer. However, I don't see why you cannot apply for a job at a Radio or TV station and work your way up in the ranks. You'll still be meddling with audio and getting cash out of it. Maybe not as fun as recording/mixing/mastering but at least you'll still be in the field and you can improve on it. And also if you got the time study something part time in case you get bored to have a back up plan.

I don't think a career in audio engineering specifically means becoming famous or even recording 20 bands a year. I'm sure you can find something on that field like live sound for conferences etc etc.

Yeah radio and tv... sounds like a good idea, but it wasn't long ago a lot of people lost thier jobs at the BBC. I wouldn't mind a career in sound for films.
I would look into careers in sound design for computer games. Thats a fairly stable industry, people are always buying new computer games (sure none of them are that orginial any more but they still make them and we still buy them.)

Well PC gaming has run into a bit of a crisis, but it seems the consoles are still going strong, so there may be good work in game sound for a while yet. However what the consoles are heading towards is becoming PCs in their own right, so things may converge again and piracy will poop on everyone's parade.