Is Spotify getting a bit... crap?

It seems a lot of labels have been leaving Spotify completely as of late. And I mean a LOT. Over half of my playlists are either grayed out or just gone. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it feels like music has been disappearing from there quite rapidly ever since they opened their doors in the US.

No need to debate on the whole payment issue, we all know Spotify listens don't pay well. I just wondered whether it's only the stuff I listen to, or has everyone else noticed it, too? Until now I've been glad to pay 10€ per month for the higher bitrate and the phone app (I love hooking it up to the car stereo), but so much good stuff has been removed, I don't think it's worth it anymore and might cancel my subscription.

its sucks.

a lot of bands/labels are gone and for gods sake
there´s like 4 comercials everytime a song ends.
in the beggining it was like listening to the radio maybe 1 o 2 comercials every a few songs
but now its very annoying.

grooveshark RULES.

I don't really understand why spotify is beneficial to the artists/label, or the consumer for that matter?

This is exactly what I didn't want to discuss :lol: As I said, yes, it's widely known that the pay is poor, but of course it's beneficial to the consumer. The app itself is great, it's a great way to sync your music library wherever you are and whatever device you're using, and it's a great way to check out bands and albums you aren't familiar with.

I buy my music on CD's, but like I said, I loved Spotify for listening to stuff out of home or checking out music I haven't heard before.

A lot of the independent metal labels pulled out - Metal Blade, Century Media, Sumerian.

I'm not sure what this was really a response to as it is without a doubt the singular most sustainable platform for music at the moment - it is ridiculously more convenient than downloading everything and distinctly less messy. Grooveshark is sloppy as well and distinctly less ethical as regards to its policies. I think the small labels are throwing toys out the pram mainly at the lack of transparent accounting on Spotifys end.

the reason those labels pulled their catalogue out is because an artist needs to be played about 4 million times a month to earn MINIMUM u.s. salary, which is ridicilous!
hopefully all record labels will follow and the site will crumble
if you're gonna pay for your music, buy the fucking album.
that way the record label might throw a dime at the artist... still better than spotify

I think all the streaming avenue's are bad for business, although, some might argue it's a good way to explore new music. I do like the social integration with spotify but I foresee these label pullouts to continue. Google music looks pretty cool and it will allow artist's to upload their music directly to the site for sale. I really like this eVinyl idea:
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2xIeoMEnk4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/ame]

I have a feeling Apple will find a way to beat Spotify (and Grooveshark among others) to the finish-line in figuring out a way to properly pay artists.

iPhone/iPod/iPad/iTunes marketplace dominance... check.
iCloud awesomesauce... check.
(some unknown or yet-to-be-named music streaming service)... global dominance. WIN. :)

hypothetically there should be no reason why apple can't just replicate spotify within itunes itself. the store already has a bigger library anyway, instead of 30 seconds or 1min whatever the clip intervals are, just allow users to stream entire songs within the library itself. perhaps for a monthly fee or something, which is fair.

the only thing is, if you are in the actual itunes window and listening to a song, it's de-motivating to then pay $1 a song or whatever per album when you can just listen to it. the difference is when you download it you "own" it but if you can listen for free anytime from multiple devices where do you draw the line between streaming and owning. me personally i listen to music typically at home (laptop, internet), studio (computer, internet), and on ipod during driving and walking (no internet). i plan on getting the iphone 5 when it comes out so at that point i can hypothetically use the streaming service too. so most of my places of listening i can just stream, so at that point, why pay all this money when i'm already paying $10 a month to stream where i want...

ps - that was hypothetical, i actually love itunes/ipod/spotify for convenience however still buy cds for the "physical feel" and the sound. but it is a compelling argument imo. and for the record, spotify is awesome.

I've been thinking about cancelling my subscription recently, I own most of the music I listen to at the moment because spotify has lost so many labels. Which is unfortunate because, for me, their wireless sync with my phone is the best music management I've come across in a while.

this is the BIG question. the average listener cannot discern this

I agree, and I think the future of music licensing for most people will be access rather than ownership. Ownership and physical media will never go away, but they will be a very small niche compared to unlimited persistent streaming access.

People are willing to pay $100 USD/month (and up) for cable TV access. My bassist is paying about $80/month to have unlimited access to sports broadcasts from his computer and smart phone. The problem with Spotify is that they started with rates that were way too low. Unlimited music streaming (in order to pay artists fairly) will need to cost at least $20 USD per month (or more, probably closer to double that figure) per member.

I use MusConv to convert my music. You can transfer your playlists between all streaming platforms.